Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: The Movie Club - Week #6: Children of Men (Vivi22's Pick)

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I will be watching the movie tonight and I will try to report back with something new I discover in my viewing, since I have seen this movie so many times before.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

My random thoughts:

The opening of this movie is perfect. It sets up Indiana Jones as a character perfectly. Opening with that famous silhouette, Indiana progresses through this whole sequence full of confidence and purpose, while all the other characters show fear and unease. It also establishes the main themes of the movie: treasure hunting, adventure, good versus evil. It even establishes his fear of snakes. I really love it.

I love all the settings in this movie. He goes from a jungle to a city to a mountaintop to a desert. In fact, the four main settings sort of represent the four seasons: Spring (South America), Fall (San Francisco - it always feels like Fall there), Winter (Nepal) and Summer (Egypt).

So here's something I never noticed: Indy almost eats the poison date four times. I only remembered two times. This not only builds suspense but also emphasizes his reckless nature. He goes through many 'close calls' throughout the movie.

The contrast between mysticism and reality is also a main theme of the movie. Indy clearly doesn't believe in the power of the Ark, though most of everyone else he encounters does. In this way he represents us, since we are watching this movie set in the real world and don't really expect the 'mystic powers' of the Ark to be real. However, there are many hints that this is not the case:

• Almost everyone but Indiana Jones believes, in some form, in the power of the Ark or at least fears it.
    • In the scene with the US Army gentlemen, Indy shows a picture of the Ark decimating hundreds of people, clear foreshadowing of something to come.
    • In the scene with the Egyptian mystic, the mention of 'honoring God' as it is written on the headpiece, causes a mysterious chill to move through the air.
    • The Ark has a golden glow when they first unearth it.
    • On the ship, the Ark burns its way through the crate it's in.

Something I never noticed: All the German cars in the chase scene have the Mercedes emblem on them.

Seeing Belloq eat the fly always creeps me out.

I like when he uses the whip

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I remember watching Spiderman 3 and trying so hard to figure out where I had seen Doc Ock's face before. It shocked the trout out of me to remember him as Satipo.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Holy smurf.

Resident Fire Emblem Fan Elite Lord Sigma's Avatar

So, it's 4 AM, I just woke up after two hours of sleep, and I seem to be having a problem getting back to sleep. I might as well write my impressions; it's the first time I've watched this film in full. At least, it's the first time I remember doing so, and I'm not the sort of person who forgets something like that. Anyway . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    The opening of this movie is perfect. It sets up Indiana Jones as a character perfectly. Opening with that famous silhouette, Indiana progresses through this whole sequence full of confidence and purpose, while all the other characters show fear and unease. It also establishes the main themes of the movie: treasure hunting, adventure, good versus evil. It even establishes his fear of snakes. I really love it.
    You pretty much said everything I wanted to say about the opening scene. As for Indy's fear of snakes, it's all the more humorous that he gets spooked out by his pilot's python (?), considering pythons don't look like the vipers that most people imagine when they think of snakes and are in fact mostly harmless to humans.

While we're talking about snakes, I should talk about the other major scene with snakes in it. Filming this scene was actually a hassle for Steven Spielberg because snakes have the opposite reaction to flame in real life than they do in the movie. Being ectotherms, snakes will actually come close to a flame to keep themselves warm. It became such a problem that Spielberg actually picked up one of the snakes and lectured it for ruining the scene. I believe it's actually on film somewhere.

Ronald Lacey was a perfect choice for the role of Toht. For a character who doesn't speak much outside of his introductory scene, he has a lot of presence because he just looks so much like a slimy, underhanded man. Lacey's previous experience as a stage actor probably helped him bring the character to life. I haven't seen much else of his work, but I can say just from this performance that he was a fine actor who died too young.

Sallah was meant to be played by Danny DeVito, who turned down the role due to scheduling conflicts. However, John Rhys-Davies is a great replacement; it's so much so that I feel the character wouldn't be the same without his booming voice.

The scene where Indy threatens to destroy the Ark is an important one. This is where we see shown to us that Belloq's earlier insinuation that he and Indy are not so different from each other actually holds some water. When Belloq says that Indy wants to see the Ark opened as much as he does, Jones' facial expression tells the audience everything it needs to know.

Overall, the movie is a classic that has withstood the test of time over the past three decades. There are a few minor pacing issues--I think the scene in the tomb with snakes could have been a little shorter--but to nitpick about something so insignificant is pointless. I can confidently give Raiders of the Lost Ark a 10/10.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Last day to watch! Jinx, please have your movie ready to post after today.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default it's not the years, it's the mileage

I'd like to echo the importance of the opening scene and how crucial it is for laying out Indy's character for the rest of the film. He's methodical, observant, intelligent and he knows his game. One of my favorite things about the beginning sequence is that you don't immediately see his face. In fact, you don't see his face for a solid three minutes in; he's just sort of this mysterious person in a strange place followed by seemingly confused folks who keep stopping to exchange looks of bewilderment, but Indy has a purpose and he's going to keep going. (The greatness about this bit is that it intrigues the viewer's curiosity about his quest.) The bit with the poison dart is an especially good one because it's a clue to a) an obvious threat of danger and foretelling of what's to come and b) to Indy's character, who doesn't seem to care about the Hovitos from how he inspects the dart and casually drops it. His concern is the idol. Additionally, the manner in which he speaks about Forestall seems to indicate respect for his competitors, which tells us he has atleast some humility and modesty (which, to me, is an important characteristic in relation to the end ark scene).

I love how Brody respectively cuts Indy off when he initially starts wondering if Marion will be with Abner and refocuses him on the problem at hand (the ark). He's so sensible and delightful at the same time, and is a great confidant for Indiana.

On the flip side, the dilemma Indy is put in with revisiting Marion is a genius one. Her character could have been such an awful excuse for a love interest, but the way she's written really made her a catalyst in Indy's quest for the ark. He's forced to revisit a clearly unpleasant past with her in order to ask her for help. I love dilemmas that force protagonists to do something they normally wouldn't do or that they would be reluctant to do in order to further or aid their quest. (Example: Toy Story - Woody being forced to work with Buzz to get back to Andy.) And I love her spunky personality and her short speech about "everybody's sorry". Something I don't think I ever really took in was how after Indy leaves, she pulls out the medallion and looks at it for a minute. She must be taking in how important it is if Indy's come back to see her all this way and after all this time. And she's faced with her own dilemma for a moment with Indy's cash in one hand and the medallion in the other. She must have been holding onto it because of an association with her father; why else would she keep it around her neck? It seems to me that she's almost choosing between Indy and her father at that moment. Also, the following scene with ze German and the bar fight is one of the best and so important, based on the fact that it directly leads to the Germans to start digging in the place they do - all thanks to Herr Mac burning his hand on Marion's medallion - and additionally leads to Marion teaming up with Indy and going to Cairo.

The scene with Indy in the Well of Souls and Marion dining with Belloq is a great one. Earlier in the movie, we see that Indiana has a fear of snakes with Jacque. Additionally, earlier in the movie we see that Marion can drink her weight in liquor, but now she's dining with Indy's archnemises who is very evil indeed. Both of them are in precarious situations they must deal with and I love the fact that these situations are both finely tuned to each of their characters. It could be said that the fact that they find themselves in these situations is a bit foreshadowed in the movie. Indy's is a bit obvious, in any case.

There seems to be a common theme of humility here that I appreciate, and there are a few major points that I notice them. First, with Indy's respect to Forestall, despite the fact that he was a competitor. Second, Indy swallowing his pride and past to visit Marion and ask for her help. Third, the markings on the back of the medallion that indicate humility and offerings to god. Fourth, when Indy threatens to blow up the ark and Belloq eggs him on to do it but he can't. And lastly, of course, the only way in which to survive the ark.

The way they use shadows in this movie is just great. At the beginning, there are a fair few times when they show Indy's silhouette. At the bar, when he greets Marion, and again, when he and Sallah are moving the ark. Nice alternative camerawork to still show what's going on.

The one complaint that I have is how Indy and Marion escape from the Well of Souls. It makes absolutely no sense for the ancient Egyptians to have placed an "escape route" for such a room, especially not one so obvious as to push through a couple of stone blocks and land in a convenient location. "The name derives from a medieval Islamic legend that at this place the spirits of the dead can be heard awaiting Judgment Day at which time the Ka'aba in Mecca will come here and God's throne will be established on the Stone." It makes no sense for them to have another way out. The only way out is through Judgement!

Aside from that, the story is seamless and it flows, the characters are perfectly written, and the music is absolutely amazing and appropriate. One of the greatest movies of all time. Also, arguably the best Disneyland ride. 10/10 for sure.

Shorty trivia: I thought my dad was Indiana Jones when I was a kid because he was an actor and they look obscenely similar. It made for a confusing childhood.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Since people were bitching hardcore about watching The Great Gatsby, I'm changing my choice to Starship Troopers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Starship Troopers is an excellent choice.

Shorts: Yeah, when they escaped from the Well of Souls it was out of place and overly convenient. Unfortunately, with movies like this you need a couple of those moments to create danger and suspense but also allow for the heroes to get out of it.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Sure. And if there had to be something wrong with it, that isn't the worst thing that could have happened.

The fly is the worst thing that could have happened.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

I've never seen Starship Troopers. Looking forward to it!

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Starship Troopers begins today! Haven't seen this in years so I'm excited

I can't really figure out which actor is a cinematic pen name for Leo DiC, but even so I think I'll have to skip on watching this one. I've seen it before but I don't have much to say about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    I remember watching Spiderman 3 and trying so hard to figure out where I had seen Doc Ock's face before. It shocked the trout out of me to remember him as Satipo.
    Strikes me curiously that this thought occurred to you while watching Spiderman 3...
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.