Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: WiiU

Quote Originally Posted by Denmark View Post
    well, what (exclusive) games does it have?

the wind waker? i got that game like 10 years ago
    super mario bros wii u? it's a sidescrolling mario game, those have been out for 28 years
    pikmin 3? ehhhhhhh i didn't really like the first pikmin game (i never got the hang of it despite repeated attempts, i'm aware a lot of people liked it)

(i don't have and won't be getting a WiiU)
    ZombiU is actually supposed to be pretty dang good, and have some interesting mechanics.

But, when it comes to an exclusive title, there's one coming up that is reason enough for me to buy it: Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Yeah zombie u is very interesting when you play local, one player trying to survive on the controller and a GM placing zombies trying to kill the player via the tablet. I think when someone understands how viable and addicting a dungeons and dragons type game can be on this thing, it's gonna be nuts.

It got some decent recent AAA ports, they're just games that alot of people already have. We'll see this holiday season if the first party games can convince people to make their wii u the home for their 3rd party games as well.

Well, I have my WiiU now, and Wind Waker HD looks smurfing beautiful. I picked up Megaman X and Earthbound on the Virtual Console, and I plan to pick up Sonic Lost Worlds as well, adding another game to this years list.

Blog Entries

I'd only consider investing in a Nintendo product if they decided to do something other than rehash Mario, Zelda, Metroid et al once every few years forever. I was never fussed on any of them and I'm sure a large portion of the market isn't either.

there was a picture here

3DS Surpasses Lifetime Wii Sales in Japan

Yeah, there is basically the response to the 'death of nintendo' trout from Milf's Article. Even if the WiiU bombs, Nintendo's 3DS money right now is pretty damn impressive.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'm totally fine if Nintendo just focuses on handhelds. There's way more great DS games I played than Wii games.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I would not be surprised if the WiiU was the last Nintendo home console, but I would also not be surprised for them to go on to dominate the handheld market for some time. I would be very surprised if the company as a whole collapsed.

I also do not think it is selfish to want Nintendo to go third party, because Nintendo will still make money from the games they make - indeed, they would make a lot more because the sales would be vastly higher with a greater market to access. Simple economics! I also do not think it is selfish to want a whole new generation of fans who have no interest in buying the WiiU (because consoles aren't exactly cheap) can enjoy them. I think the Mario, Zelda, Metroid etc. franchises would get a massive boost if they were on the Sony and Microsoft consoles.

The reason I don't want that to happen, regardless of my preferance for Sony's console over nintendo's, is that we desperately need the market to be competitive. The more competition there is, the harder you have to work. If we only have two people competing, all it takes is for one company to trout themselves to shift everything over to the other guy. Hell, were it not for Sony stepping in with the playstation, something I recall happening only due to their deals and partnerships with Nintendo on the whole Project Dolphin thing, we would have had only one console with the N64 in most places.

I dont' see shrinking out the competition to be good for anyone in the long run, so I hope Microsoft fully removes their head from their ass's and WiiU picks up so we can have a strong and varied market.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Even if Nintendo left the home console market we wouldn't see a reduction in competition most likely. Someone else would step in to fill the gap. Especially since the other two are so similar hardware and game wise that calling them competitors is a bit of a joke.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Competition is a vague abstraction. If you look at markets with only a few firms, competition means offering the most accessible products for the broadest demographic. Competition between Sony and Microsoft this generation translated to who has the most timed DLC for first person shooters and action games. Competition resulted in the Kinect and Move.

I like having the three companies because each one has its own swagger. And Iwata is correct in that the creativity of Nintendos software flows from ethos of its hardware and vice versa. It just wouldn't feel magical anymore. It would no longer feel like Nintendo.

I'm also unconvinced it would translate to more success. It is very difficult for a multiplatform game to achieve the same buzz and excitement that an exclusive title attracts. Relatively few tend to pull that off.

Lastly I agree with Del that Nintendo's handhelds have been about more compelling than their home counterparts for at least two generations now.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    3DS Surpasses Lifetime Wii Sales in Japan

Yeah, there is basically the response to the 'death of nintendo' trout from Milf's Article. Even if the WiiU bombs, Nintendo's 3DS money right now is pretty damn impressive.
    Absolutely nobody has said their handheld sector is in bad shape and indeed the most common proposal floated around is for them to become an exclusively handheld company precisely because of their unsurpassed strength and expertise in that field. I don't think anyone's actually saying "Nintendo will die and stop existing, their franchises sold off to the highest bidders" anyway. Even if all hardware totally collapsed for them they'd follow SEGA into software, not stop existing.

There's an inherent weakness in such a focus - if the WiiU fails (And it is) they've got something to fall back on. If they only make one thing they've got nothing to fall back on if that should go south.

Also you can't really say you want there to be competition and then get mad when there's a loser.

Quote Originally Posted by Denmark View Post
    well, what (exclusive) games does it have?

the wind waker? i got that game like 10 years ago
    super mario bros wii u? it's a sidescrolling mario game, those have been out for 28 years
    pikmin 3? ehhhhhhh i didn't really like the first pikmin game (i never got the hang of it despite repeated attempts, i'm aware a lot of people liked it)

(i don't have and won't be getting a WiiU)

Monster hunter is good...same game as the wii version however.....but a whole ton of added stuff though
    '

Seeing the popularity of Pokemon is would be smart of them to make a game for wiiu.......

But they are making smash bros for 3DS and the same kinds of games (mario, zelda etc) they have on 3DS too so you pretty much have the same kinds of games for both but the 3DS will probably get a lot of better games.

I haven't really seen anything exciting in xbox either.....hardly any exclusives to look at, and you have to pay for online....