Thread: Technical Difficulties

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I can see complaining at launch or a few days after, but we're still in pre-launch. As long as SE does something to make sure people aren't paying monthly for a game that isn't working, I don't see the big deal. Launch dates are pushed back all the time. Know what should have had its launch date pushed back a lot? The original FFXIV.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by comma View Post
    Why would they build their server structure based on the first couple days of launch? Silly.
    Because servers are leasable, which lets them return them to whoever they leased them from if it turns out they didn't need as many servers after all. As long as they build server software that is scalable, and lets them increase or decrease the amount of hardware in use depending on what they need in the future, which is a very smart thing to have in mind.
    Server structure ≠ number of servers.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Elpizo View Post
    It appears they've pushed back the release, if the Lodestone is to be believed.

Early Access Period
    August 24, 2013 (Saturday), 2:00 a.m. to August 29, 2013 (Thursday), 11:59 p.m. (PDT)
    Since I believe launch was supposed to be on August 27, "Early Access" until August 29 can only mean they pushed back the release. This is really, really not a good sign.
    Nope. That is about people who might get their game late due to making problems. More of a breathing room for Early Accessers whose actual game doesn't arrive right away so they have time to put in the code for the actual game.

As for the issue at hand, it does not bode well especially since this is mostly a problem with the NA/EU servers. I wonder what the level of communication between Montreal and Tokyo is and if that is hampering communication with the fanbase in general?

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    I can see complaining at launch or a few days after, but we're still in pre-launch. As long as SE does something to make sure people aren't paying monthly for a game that isn't working, I don't see the big deal.
    But people are paying for it, unless they're a Legacy member (of which most are not). Early Access is a bonus for people pre-ordering the game. In product development and marketing, you do not shaft your early adopters especially by making false promises.

For myself, I'm just annoyed with the lack of communication. Also, why does there need to be two separate official Twitter accounts for Final Fantasy XIV? Makes no sense.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

I thought first month of subscription was free.

Is it really that hard to understand?

People are paying money to pre-order the game because they were offering an Early Access bonus. Because people are not getting a chance to play during Early Access, their money is going to waste. These people are either paying for the full game, or have put down a deposit that they can't get back.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

And they did get early access.

Quote Originally Posted by Rostum View Post
    Is it really that hard to understand?

People are paying money to pre-order the game because they were offering an Early Access bonus. Because people are not getting a chance to play during Early Access, their money is going to waste. These people are either paying for the full game, or have put down a deposit that they can't get back.
    They aren't paying more for the game to have it pre-ordered than if they bought it on launch day. No money is being wasted. Early access is a bonus, not even a required service.

Once the game goes live and you start ticking down that 30 days of free game time, then you can argue that money is being wasted, but during early access that doesn't fly.

Sure, people pre-ordered hoping or expecting early access, but they literally have lost nothing from pre-ordering versus buying on launch day.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Unless pre-ordering cost more than regular ordering then those people aren't wasting any of their money. It's still bad on SE's part that they promised something to their customers and haven't yet delivered.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

The whole situation is frustrating I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloki View Post
    I'm of the mind that it's an utter shambles, not only have I paid for the time I'm supposed to be playing (by the fact I've shelled out for a pre-order when I have a copy of the beta 4 software which would allow me to have just paid the subs instead come Tuesday) but S-E themselves cannot communicate anything! The issues might not be as bad if we knew what the hell was going on within a few minutes (or gods forgive, in advance) but not single squeak to give us an idea of what's going on. Then you've got the rate limiting, fine but let us know via the loadstone or something which worlds are being limited due to issues so we know to come back later instead of getting nonsense error messages and having to try and figure it out ourselves.
    The communication hasn't actually been that bad and is getting a lot better really. It seems most of them time they have to wait to translate a PR statement from Japanese though.

The rate limiting and issues have all been communicated quite regularly on the Lodestone and they've posted in-game chat announcements once widespread issues have started cropping up. On day one they made the mistake of not actually putting follow-ups in chat about when maintenance was starting but they've sorted that out too.

FINAL FANTASY XIV, The Lodestone | Procedures during Periods of High Congestion (Aug. 21)

FINAL FANTASY XIV, The Lodestone | Login Limitation After Emergency Maintenance (Aug. 25): Follow-up 4

FINAL FANTASY XIV, The Lodestone | Regarding the Instance-Related Issues (Aug. 24): Follow-up 3

Heck just:

FINAL FANTASY XIV, The Lodestone | Maintenance

In general.

Quote Originally Posted by Rostum
    I pay attention to a lot of MMO launches, and I expected this to go fine. For the most part, MMO launches are fine. You can't compare this one to MMO's that released a decade ago. One would want to believe after a decade of this thriving genre that they wouldn't have similar problems that a 9-10 year old MMO had when it was first released.
    I really don't know what MMO launches you've experienced but as someone who generally checks out new MMOs as and when they come out I can probably name... two... smooth launches from within the past 5 years.

SWTOR had serious queue and congestion issues at launch. GW2 in Europe was plagued with server instability for the first week or so. Neverwinter had congestion issues and instance server problems followed by the Astral Diamond market exploit which pretty much crippled the game economy and forced them to do a complete rollback of server data. TERA you were lucky if you could even login within the first week without being disconnected after 5 minutes and having to wait in a queue again. Defiance had a lot of lag and loss of data problems. Firefall which is still in "open beta" is being plagued with lag, game mechanics just stopping working completely etc.
    Last edited by Aulayna; 08-26-2013 at 10:17 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Aye, just want to repeat what has been said earlier: You have paid nothing for early access. It is a free bonus for buying something else. You can argue the case however you like to, but it was a free bonus. The cost of the bonus is exactly £0.00 on top of the money you spent on the pre-ordering of the game. If you were a Legacy player, then you had it already and arguing that you spent money on a pre-order because of the early access is stupid because you already had early access. You could then argue "but I paid to be a Legacy member" - you paid to play the game, and you got Legacy member status for free as a bonus. Bonus, bonus, bonus.

I love that the game is doing so freaking well that it has waaaaaaaay exceeded demand.

The only things I do agree on are that they could really use an additional server or two and that the communication could be better. I want to know what they're actually intending on doing, personally, but I don't think they'll ever give us that kind of information. I want to know how far apart the supply and demand is, and what they intend on doing about it. So far they haven't detailed any intentions at all. They've said they're trying to fix it, but what about the long term ramifications of having so many people want to play the game?

The one upside of all of this is once the server populations stabilise and everything is running smoothly again, it looks pretty likely that they are going to have those remaining members stick it out with FFXIV and that FFXIV will be turning a nice profit as they hover around capacity.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Aye, just want to repeat what has been said earlier: You have paid nothing for early access. It is a free bonus for buying something else. You can argue the case however you like to, but it was a free bonus.
    I guess the thing here is that when when you give people a bonus, and then not give them the means to access it, they get pretty pissed. It's like giving someone a present (in this scenario, let's imagine it's a birthday) with a giant huge lock on it.

I'm sort of with both sides here, though, to be honest.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Don't get me wrong - I have no complaint about frustration and I'm complaining as much as anyone about the whole thing. Yet I'm not complaining about how "I paid for this!", I'm complaining that "I want to play the game but I can't!" - I don't care if the game were free, I just wanna plaaaaaay xD

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Baloki Kyuu (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Actually the way it was advertised it wasn't a "free bonus", it was part of the features you get for pre-ordering. I paid in excess of £40 for my pre-order to get the additional items, early access and first months subs (plus the narly art book), as this is what was advertised. If I'd have chosen to wait until release to purchase I'd have just paid the £10 monthly subs. So I have paid for early access, just like anyone else who purchases the full retail game.

As I have said though, it's the communication that's been really getting me, they've planned maintenance and instead of warning most of the time, they've just booted us, made us wait a good while (upto an hour in some cases) before letting us know what's going on. It's improving slowly, but then they come out with vague, "wait until it's quieter" demands without giving us any easy
    FOA

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Baloki View Post
    Actually the way it was advertised it wasn't a "free bonus", it was part of the features you get for pre-ordering. I paid in excess of £40 for my pre-order to get the additional items, early access and first months subs (plus the narly art book), as this is what was advertised. If I'd have chosen to wait until release to purchase I'd have just paid the £10 monthly subs. So I have paid for early access, just like anyone else who purchases the full retail game.

As I have said though, it's the communication that's been really getting me, they've planned maintenance and instead of warning most of the time, they've just booted us, made us wait a good while (upto an hour in some cases) before letting us know what's going on. It's improving slowly, but then they come out with vague, "wait until it's quieter" demands without giving us any easy
    No, you haven't.

You paid £40? Then you must have got the Collector's Edition. You can get early access with the standard edition of the game, so you didn't pay £40 for the early access, you paid £40 for the goodies. And you got the game you paid for and the goodies you paid for. The pre-order bonuses are bonuses for people who pre-order, and they are free. The standard edition of the game cost me somewhere between £13 and £18 to pre-order, which is probably about the same price as it will be at launch. As for "but I could have got the CE version cheaper if I'd waited" - I'd be surprised. Last I heard it was selling for a handsome fee on eBay since it sold out at various stores.

Early access was quite clearly advertised seperately to the Collector's Edition. On the product page thrown around on their site, the pre-order bonuses were even listed on a seperate page.