Thread: Technical Difficulties

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Friend of mine is unable to join any of the NA servers, they're just not taking characters. Weird and frustrating. I hope it sorts out soon, and they offer world swaps in the future.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Yoshida did say in his recent interview with playstation blog that world transfers would be available

PSB: Will it be possible in the final version of the game to switch a player character from one server to another?
    Yoshida: Yes, we’ll be providing an optional world transfer service!

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Yoshida did say in his recent interview with playstation blog that world transfers would be available

PSB: Will it be possible in the final version of the game to switch a player character from one server to another?
    Yoshida: Yes, we’ll be providing an optional world transfer service!
    For a fee.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I think a free would be appropriate in this instance. It's just been so damn rough

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    I think a free would be appropriate in this instance. It's just been so damn rough
    ... but, but, but, the money.

FFXIV Character

Twinkle Belle (Hyperion)

LOL Oh My! I have been gloating at a friend of mine saying that the release date will be late, there is no way FFXIV team will be ready on time (I played a lot during the pay-to-play phase before the game officially died and became "reborn") and it seems like they might of been better off waiting at this stage. During the old pay-to-play times the developers, in particular Yoshi-P had been making promises they simply couldn't keep within the outlined time-frames, always in their attempts to be on time they would fail miserably releasing half-completed content. I can only imagine that he has the right intentions, just not the means to carry it out, I do believe he must have a difficult job.

What saddens me about the experience (thankfully I am not in a position to play currently) is the concept of the importance of taking the time to get things right the first time. I am 100% certain after all this build up fans would of been much happier had FFXIV taken longer to be released if they could be assured that the finished product (and customer experience) would be better for it in the long run. This seems to be the same problem/issue that has arisen for this game time and time again =/

I do think it will be one of the most epic mmo's in time to come, I am just grateful that I don't have a pc to play on yet so I don't have to suffer like the rest of the fans at the moment. I hope we can all have patience and that the developers will work hard on getting the game RIGHT eventually... It would be such a waste if it flopped now, it is a beautiful creation! :3

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aelitalily View Post
    I do believe he must have a difficult job.
    Not just because he is both producer and de facto championing spokesperson for the entire project

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    Friend of mine is unable to join any of the NA servers, they're just not taking characters. Weird and frustrating. I hope it sorts out soon, and they offer world swaps in the future.
    Yes, when I tried to play yesterday, every NA server was full.

Right now the number of people playing and the number of hours people are playing are both very high. Later, a lot of people will quit and a lot of people who still play will play for fewer hours, so the servers won't be as stressed, and I imagine registration will open on the currently-full servers again. It would be bad if SE added a bunch of new worlds that later ended up being ghost towns due to not enough players in them.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post
    And really, if you picked a high-population server like we did, then you've nobody to blame for that but yourself.
    Oh yes. Nobody to blame but the players themselves.
    Oh you know what I meant. At this point when they've told us that certain servers are at capacity, if you jump onto a server that's full, you shouldn't expect to play. That's kind of how this stuff works.

Edit: For anyone who is wondering why Square Enix has been so overwhelmed and caught with their pants down on the success of the MMO, the most ever concurrent connections for a Japanese-produced MMORPG was approximately 150,000 prior to FFXIV launch. They broke the record with 187,000 concurrent connections and expect that number to soon hit 200,000. Sure, the news about the servers being full and crashing could hurt them, but as we're seeing, this is very easily spun into a good problem to have.

FFXIV Character

Omni Odin (Sargatanas)

Ya this has been a little bit of a bummer. I was pretty excited to get going but by the time I did the only servers still accepting new characters were Eu Servers. I made a character just to check out the game, but I was hoping to get on Sargatanas (NA) with pretty much all EoFF. I'm on Odin (Eu) now.

On a not-so-sidenote however, this game is super-smooth and has FF written all over it. The graphics are top-notch as well as the UI imo. Good stuff SE. I can't wait for the NA servers to open back up.

And really, if you picked a high-population server like we did, then you've nobody to blame for that but yourself.
    In my case, I'm certainly partially to blame. I've pulled the douche move of keeping my wife and myself logged in to avoid 1017. It was so frustrating to have an ultra tiny window early this week to play and ultimately not being able to play at all. So now, I keep us on to make sure that if we have a tiny window of available time, we can play.

Of course, this is at the expense of others trying to log in while I'm idling in the inn. I feel a little bad, but the Venn diagram of time that my wife and I actually have time together simultaneously is vanishingly small this week.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Yeargdribble View Post
    In my case, I'm certainly partially to blame. I've pulled the douche move of keeping my wife and myself logged in to avoid 1017. It was so frustrating to have an ultra tiny window early this week to play and ultimately not being able to play at all. So now, I keep us on to make sure that if we have a tiny window of available time, we can play.

Of course, this is at the expense of others trying to log in while I'm idling in the inn. I feel a little bad, but the Venn diagram of time that my wife and I actually have time together simultaneously is vanishingly small this week.
    I'm doing the same. I'd stop doing it if I actually had a queue to sit in when trying to re-enter.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeargdribble View Post

I'm doing the same. I'd stop doing it if I actually had a queue to sit in when trying to re-enter.
    Same. The queue exist, but it's apparently very short and very broken. Sometimes if I even get lucky enough to get in the queue, if it's over 20, it'll just disconnect me anyway.

Here's hoping they get the new data center stuff up soon so everyone can play. We had a friend that was super interested in playing, but by the 12th hour of open beta he couldn't make a character on our world... a few hours later he couldn't make one at all. Now he doesn't seem interested since there are still major problems going on.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I've disconnected a couple of times and got straight back in without issue. I think the problem - at least during EU peak hours - has started to dissipate.

Following on from Ouch!'s earlier post about concurrent connections, they've now hit 230,000. Blimey!

I don't feel bad about idling in the inn, personally. It's the only way people can leave friend requests and tells on my screen when I'm not logged in, and without an accepted friend request I can't send them mail nor can I add them to the Linkshell or Free Company. So... yeah. Fix all these little issues and I might feel a lit-- actually, no, I still won't feel bad. I paid to play the game, I should be allowed to idle in the inn for as long as I like if that's how I want to play. I like seeing the LS chat when I get back to the PC.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    I've disconnected a couple of times and got straight back in without issue. I think the problem - at least during EU peak hours - has started to dissipate.

Following on from Ouch!'s earlier post about concurrent connections, they've now hit 230,000. Blimey!

I don't feel bad about idling in the inn, personally. It's the only way people can leave friend requests and tells on my screen when I'm not logged in, and without an accepted friend request I can't send them mail nor can I add them to the Linkshell or Free Company. So... yeah. Fix all these little issues and I might feel a lit-- actually, no, I still won't feel bad. I paid to play the game, I should be allowed to idle in the inn for as long as I like if that's how I want to play. I like seeing the LS chat when I get back to the PC.
    Lucky you, I got booted off at around 9pm yesterday and was unable to log back in the entire night, when I tried to log on this morning I still got loads of 1017's so right now I am just losing my trout with them not implementing a decent que system or an auto dc function especially if said afker is only going to play for a few hours in the evening then afk for another 18+ hours.