Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Technical Difficulties

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Said afker isn't using the resources which are bottlenecking the situation (duty finder instances) and SE have stated they are monitoring things 24/7 to allow increases/decreases to server populations based on resources used. This is why the devs aren't that bothered about the afk'ers. Let's put it this way... they set the world capacity at 3,500 and then boot all the afk'ers, say 500 of them, so it's 3,000 people online. The demand on the duty finder server? Exactly the same. So they adjust the world capacity to 3,000 with no afkers instead of 3,500 with afk'ers. Nobody wins. The resources required for an afk'er are pittance compared to the resources required by an active player. If the devs really felt that the afk'ers were causing these problems they would have done something about them a long time ago.

The problems lie with the stresses caused by the duty finder, so they need to sort that out instead of coming up with scapegoats that do nothing to fix the problem. If they implemented afk booting, all it would do is result in more people logging in which would take up more stressful resources in one minute than the afk-in-the-inn member would use over hours.

Also, just to make matters worse, you end up with a feature that naive people will think will magically solve the problems and it won't, and when it doesn't, how do you think these people will feel? Happy that an afk boot is in despite still not logging in, or even more frustrated that they still can't log in despite an afk boot? And now they're competing with people who come back from afk, too, for placement on the server, and the lobby server goes under further stress (after the duty finder server or "instance server", the lobby server appears to be going under more stress than any of the other servers), and the problems exaggerate.

People need to stop making assumptions without any consideration for/understanding of the the actual issue. Jealousy of those who are online is not going to make your problems any better. Instead, let SE deal with the real issues and know that they are the ones with likely very stressed out heads and perhaps (at worst) careers on the line, while all you have on the line is the ability to play a game as often as you like. I trust they are doing everything they can to optimise the number of people who can play the game short of making it financially unviable.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Blog Entries

Classic Square. They're really not having a lot of luck with FFXIV are they?

I was hoping to pick this up yesterday, but couldn't even find a retail copy anywhere. You would think by now that anyone launching anything popular would realise that you should estimate demand and then multiply your estimate by at least 3. Even Apple figured that out eventually :P

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudane View Post
    Classic Square. They're really not having a lot of luck with FFXIV are they?
    If anything, things are going better than they could dream of - they have so much demand that they can't keep up with it. Unfortunately for them, the demand came about far later than was ideal meaning they couldn't accommodate it in a hurry.

I was hoping to pick this up yesterday, but couldn't even find a retail copy anywhere. You would think by now that anyone launching anything popular would realise that you should estimate demand and then multiply your estimate by at least 3. Even Apple figured that out eventually :P
    No, people were sceptical at best about FFXIV for a very long time. In fact, it wasn't until a couple of weekends before (early access) release that the interest shot up notably and it wasn't until the week of release that demand shot through the roof. Even here at EoFF people were cautious with their optimism - even me! But the game itself seems to appeal to the vast majority of people that actually are able to play it, so they're definitely doing something right.

I loved the reddit page Zach linked earlier, particularly for this link I found in it: Google Trends

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Said afker isn't using the resources which are bottlenecking the situation (duty finder instances) and SE have stated they are monitoring things 24/7 to allow increases/decreases to server populations based on resources used. This is why the devs aren't that bothered about the afk'ers. Let's put it this way... they set the world capacity at 3,500 and then boot all the afk'ers, say 500 of them, so it's 3,000 people online. The demand on the duty finder server? Exactly the same. So they adjust the world capacity to 3,000 with no afkers instead of 3,500 with afk'ers. Nobody wins. The resources required for an afk'er are pittance compared to the resources required by an active player. If the devs really felt that the afk'ers were causing these problems they would have done something about them a long time ago.

The problems lie with the stresses caused by the duty finder, so they need to sort that out instead of coming up with scapegoats that do nothing to fix the problem. If they implemented afk booting, all it would do is result in more people logging in which would take up more stressful resources in one minute than the afk-in-the-inn member would use over hours.

Also, just to make matters worse, you end up with a feature that naive people will think will magically solve the problems and it won't, and when it doesn't, how do you think these people will feel? Happy that an afk boot is in despite still not logging in, or even more frustrated that they still can't log in despite an afk boot? And now they're competing with people who come back from afk, too, for placement on the server, and the lobby server goes under further stress (after the duty finder server or "instance server", the lobby server appears to be going under more stress than any of the other servers), and the problems exaggerate.

People need to stop making assumptions without any consideration for/understanding of the the actual issue. Jealousy of those who are online is not going to make your problems any better. Instead, let SE deal with the real issues and know that they are the ones with likely very stressed out heads and perhaps (at worst) careers on the line, while all you have on the line is the ability to play a game as often as you like. I trust they are doing everything they can to optimise the number of people who can play the game short of making it financially unviable.
    If what you are saying is true (I would like the source on that info btw) then why at 10:30am was I still getting 1017? I find it hard to believe that there are that many people doing duty finder at that time of day to cause such a bottleneck that you describe.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

The issue isn't just related to the duty finder anymore it's that servers can crash if there are too many people in densely populated areas - such as the starter areas, which is why they had really limited capacity at the start and have gradually increased them as the population has spread out across all areas. Even if you are on the server doing nothing you are still consuming resources that is preventing someone else from logging in.

Also worth noting is they haven't ruled out kicking people who are AFK. They have openly said they are considering it but are waiting to see what the situation is like after the hardware upgrades this week.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Don't ask me to explain why you can't get in - I'm not on the phone with Yoshi and I don't think he'd have the time to look into individuals. I disconnected at something like 8pm on a weekday and got back in immediately with a queue of 18. Perhaps a lot of people in America are staying up late on Sunday night playing the game?

As for sources...

Yoshi, in his "Further Details on Access Restrictions" post in General Discussion of the official FFXIV:ARR forums...
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi
    The restoration of crashed servers is usually followed by a rush of players attempting go log back in, which, in turn, puts a straing on our lobby server, and can ultimately have an adverse affect on all of the Worlds.

To prevent this from happening, we felt the safest course of action would be to limit logins.
    This is why you get 1017 at all. They limit logins rather than putting you in a queue that might never end because of the strain such an unlimited queue can cause on the lobby and subsequently other worlds.
    However, we would like you to know that the restrictions are under constant surveillance. We are currently monitoring login numbers on all Worlds 24 hours a day, and actively removing/applying restrictions as soon as we detect even the smallest fluctuation in concurrent connection numbers.
    ...so, monitored 24/7, as I said. If they feel they can let you in, they will.
    In addition to increasing the number of Worlds, we are also optimizing the Duty Finder (party matching) management servers in an effort to reduce server load and ensure better stability when using this feature.
    Here he acknowledges that the Duty Finder is a problem, which pretty much everyone and their uncle knows if they look into the problems that the servers have experienced and looks through more of the dev posts. Seriously, dev posts are great.
    From several users on some of our more congested Worlds, we have received requests for a feature which automatically logs out characters who are AFK for an extended period of time. We are actively looking into the implementation of such a feature, but have decided to first concentrate our efforts on increasing the number of Worlds and optimizing the Duty Finder servers.
    This is where he says that the Devs feel that the overall number of worlds and the Duty Finder servers are more important than an auto-afk-kick.

Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post
    The issue isn't just related to the duty finder anymore it's that servers can crash if there are too many people in densely populated areas - such as the starter areas, which is why they had really limited capacity at the start and have gradually increased them as the population has spread out across all areas. Even if you are on the server doing nothing you are still consuming resources that is preventing someone else from logging in.
    The resources being used are absolute bugger all compared to the resources that would be used by an active player. Like... less than 1% of the resources. Going by what has been stated in Zach's link where a bunch of server admins for similar games are posting, the amount of resources used by someone in a small area single-character instance are tiny compared to someone through Duty Finder. I wouldn't be surprised if one character in the duty finder would have the same cost as hundreds of users in their inns doing nothing. And again, this is the only way I can get friend requests. I dare say there would be around 10-20% fewer people in our LS - perhaps even 30% fewer - if I couldn't receive friend requests. No afk = No friend request = No LS/FC invite. I know we have other leaders but they aren't always online and I'd much prefer the simple ability to add friends who are offline, have them accept when I'm offline, add them to the LS/FC when they're offline, etc. etc. This would go a very long way towards me altering my opinion on AFK'ers. I do agree that AFK'ers in the cities are annoying, though - that's why I insist on returning to the inn.

Oh, and there are still issues with the duty finder. The "stories" haven't stopped - the lower caps on server population are a direct result of the resource-intensive things such as (as you stated) the starter areas and (as I've mentioned) the duty finder. It's repeatedly mentioned by server gurus walking the forums and, it seems, reddit that the duty finder is a massive resource hog. I mean, think about it - they're adding a few more worlds, right? They have 25 servers and one duty finder covering all 25. If they add a few more, they say this will create a need to split the duty finder for the data center. Now, if you were to split those few worlds' populations amongst the existing servers, that would cause a similar problem for the duty finder (as it's the same total population regardless of being spread over 25 worlds or over 28 worlds). Therefore, it's a reasonable conclusion that the duty finder is still restricting the world capacities.
    Also worth noting is they haven't ruled out kicking people who are AFK. They have openly said they are considering it but are waiting to see what the situation is like after the hardware upgrades this week.
    They're actively looking into it, which is a shame because it's clearly just to pander to the masses and won't actually have any huge benefit. If anything, it could have an adverse effect in that of the servers which actually struggle most - the lobby and the duty finder - the lobby would actually have an increase of activity. This is the main reason I think they're not prioritising it, actually. Think of all the information required to log in (more than you might think) compared the information required for a character to idle in their inn.

I'd happily have them afk-kick anyone who idles in the busy areas, though.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Yes but the Duty Finder isn't the ONLY problem.

He even specifically addresses this in the same post:

At the game’s start, however, while everyone is still at a low level, the majority of players are concentrated in the three city-states and surrounding areas. This can not only lead to a lack of enemies to slay (preventing quest progression), but also see area servers overloaded, and ultimately lead to crashes.

Fortunately, differences in total individual play time, login times, and character/class progression will eventually lead to players being more spread out within each World. Once this happens, there will be less need for both login and character creation restrictions.
    This is why people are complaining about AFK'ers. The Duty Finder alone isn't why there are limitations in place and when you AFK you are still using resources that are preventing someone else from logging in, even if neither of you touch the Duty Finder. The whole "I'm not using the DF so it's okay" argument is a half-truth really.

Now I'm not going to get on your case about it as I did it myself all weekend so I could avoid the login errors, but I will full well admit that I intentionally did it knowing full well I screwed people over by doing it (heck there were people in our own LS that couldn't log in due to people like you and me being logged in but AFK for hours on end) and not trying to justify it with a selectively quoting or paraphrasing dev posts in a way that makes it sound like no big deal.

And of course upgrading the hardware is more important but if the issue persists and they don't see further upgrading hardware as financially viable barring a continued surge of demand following digital sales re-opening, then they will shift those development resources to putting in that autokick-AFK feature because they haven't openly said "we're not doing this."

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post
    Yes but the Duty Finder isn't the ONLY problem.

He even specifically addresses this in the same post:

At the game’s start, however, while everyone is still at a low level, the majority of players are concentrated in the three city-states and surrounding areas. This can not only lead to a lack of enemies to slay (preventing quest progression), but also see area servers overloaded, and ultimately lead to crashes.

Fortunately, differences in total individual play time, login times, and character/class progression will eventually lead to players being more spread out within each World. Once this happens, there will be less need for both login and character creation restrictions.
    I acknowledged that the starter areas were part of the problem! But I must have misread your post, I thought you said "The issue isn't related to the duty finder anymore" when you said "The issue isn't just related to the duty finder anymore" D= My bad.
    This is why people are complaining about AFK'ers. The Duty Finder alone isn't why there are limitations in place and when you AFK you are still using resources that are preventing someone else from logging in, even if neither of you touch the Duty Finder. The whole "I'm not using the DF so it's okay" argument is a half-truth really.
    Hence I said that I don't mind AFK'ers in busy areas being booted. The problem isn't AFK'ers, it's the volume of people in starter areas which AFK'ers happen to be part of... so boot those in the starter areas, but don't make the people like me sitting in my inn room using sod all resources suffer for it, because I need my LS people to be able to add me. Or, if things go well, don't boot anyone if the new servers solve the problem.
    Now I'm not going to get on your case about it as I did it myself all weekend so I could avoid the login errors, but I will full well admit that I intentionally did it knowing full well I screwed people over by doing it (heck there were people in our own LS that couldn't log in due to people like you and me being logged in but AFK for hours on end) and not trying to justify it with a selectively quoting or paraphrasing dev posts in a way that makes it sound like no big deal.
    I genuinely think that AFK'ers in the inn are not "part of the problem". If they booted all the AFK'ers that were barely draining their resources they could get in, what, four to five more people in the duty finder? They're not going to up the server capacity count by four or five. I am not 'screwing over people' because if there were 1,000 of me booted, the server load wouldn't change, and all that would happen is the server capacity would be lowered further to avoid the stress of 1,000 more people who were actually active. The problem is not the AFK'ers sitting in their inn, the problem which Yoshi himself conceded was that he never anticipated such a demand for the game and they need more servers to cope with it. The AFK'ers are not at fault for that and shouldn't be booted. We're getting new servers, that should solve all the problems. Why kick people then?
    And of course upgrading the hardware is more important but if the issue persists and they don't see further upgrading hardware as financially viable barring a continued surge of demand following digital sales re-opening, then they will shift those development resources to putting in that autokick-AFK feature because they haven't openly said "we're not doing this."
    They've openly said that the login problems should disappear, and in a shocking twist, I believe the people who know what they're talking about. If the problems don't disappear, enable auto-kick for those who are draining resources, sure. But you can bet I'll be in my inn and having some kind of macro that makes me rotate an inch every 15 minutes until I can get my friend/LS requests made while I'm not logged in.

FFXIV Character

Winrey Rockbell (Sargatanas)

Many of you out there likely chose a server during Phase 4 or Early Access and have friends, family, or guild mates who can’t join you due to the character creation lockouts. I have friends in this situation as well and I wanted to find out what, if anything, next week’s datacenter upgrades would have in store for people in this particular situation. New worlds are great and all for the overall health of the game and population distribution, but what about getting on servers where your friends are already playing? There are world transfers planned for mid-September, but there is also a chance that, at least on some servers, players may not necessarily have to wait that long.
    One of the main culprits of server congestion and instability has to do with the game’s Duty Finder tool. This tool allows players to find players for group content game-wide, at the moment. But it’s this very aspect of the tool that has been causing many of the issues players are experiencing, loading the world servers such that they can’t accept additional logins or new character creations without risking detrimental effect to the server as a whole. As part of the server work going on this week, Square Enix will be breaking up servers into groups for the purposes of the Duty Finder, think World of Warcraft’s Battlegroups, for example. Once this is implemented, Mr. Yoshida tells us that world servers should be much less taxed and this will both allow for upgrades in the server concurrent user cap (so more players can login at once) and also ease restrictions on character creation.
    Mr. Yoshida also touched briefly on the notion of queues and an AFK idle kick. The team is willing to look into an AFK kick or queue system, but as of this moment, they are devoting 100% of their efforts towards getting the aforementioned additional servers and server changes implemented this week. We were also told that while players may be seeing tons of other players idling around AFK, the vast majority of players logging in are actually playing, they’re just putting in some crazy hours.
    It’s also important to note that if you are in a Free Company, you will not be able to transfer Free Company data with the initial implementation of server transfers in mid-September. Even if your entire FC decides to move to a new server, you will be starting from scratch as far as your Free Company progress goes.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

I've disconnected a couple of times and got straight back in without issue. I think the problem - at least during EU peak hours - has started to dissipate.
    Yesterday it took me about 200 attempts to log in. Protip: You can hit 0 on your keyboard over and over to do the login process. I was hitting it every couple minutes absentmindedly while playing a DS game for about an hour before it worked.

It's 1:43 PST right now and I can't log in again. I'm not too upset. They said they might give us another week free trial to make up for the time no one could play this week. That seems fair.

EDIT: Yep, one hour later, completely unable to log on.
    Last edited by Dr Unne; 09-02-2013 at 11:03 PM.

Yeah you can try and white knight this all you want, but they should ​have been a lot more prepared than this. People spending money on a game, and a week later still can't log in to play.

They're an incredibly large global company, dealing with a global market using one of the most prominent franchises in a multi-billion dollar industry. That's why they should have been prepared. Let's not even get into over a decade's worth of real-world data for these situations.
    Last edited by Rostum; 09-03-2013 at 01:20 AM.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Rostum View Post
    Yeah you can try and white knight this all you want, but they should ​have been a lot more prepared than this. People spending money on a game, and a week later still can't log in to play.

They're an incredibly large global company, dealing with a global market using one of the most prominent franchises in a multi-billion dollar industry. That's why they should have been prepared. Let's not even get into over a decade's worth of real-world data for these situations.
    The problem was that everyone and their uncle were "undecided" until Phase Four. As pointed out earlier, the demand didn't jump up three fold, it jumped up five fold. Everyone was saying this relaunch would be fairly doomed because of the tainting that came about from 1.x's launch, and that the game would lose out significantly because of that alone. It doesn't look like any of these predictions (which were happening until Phase Four) came true. They made a game that is better than they thought, if anything.

Also, they overestimated Tomb Raider's sales and many others, so it makes sense that they would opt towards being conservative on this occasion.

Don't get mad, get moist I Don't Need A Name's Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

I'm not really against Square at the moment, they're trying to fix things and that's fine. I just don't understand how they can say that, in Early Access, they weren't expecting there to be that many people logging on. Surely they knew exactly how many people would be logging on because you only got in by pre-ordering, so the pre-order figures would've shown them the number of people ready to play..
    I made one myself for a change! Although you can probably tell that..

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by I Don't Need A Name View Post
    I'm not really against Square at the moment, they're trying to fix things and that's fine. I just don't understand how they can say that, in Early Access, they weren't expecting there to be that many people logging on. Surely they knew exactly how many people would be logging on because you only got in by pre-ordering, so the pre-order figures would've shown them the number of people ready to play..
    Not exactly. Legacy players were automatically given early access and early access was still procurable via pre-order until about two days before early access launched (I'm also hear that people could actually pre-order and get early access codes while early access was going on) and while Japan got a limited number of pre-orders available to them, NA & EU had unlimited pre-order codes. You predict based on pre-orders up to a certain time (and based on marketing). But when everyone orders just a day or two before early access starts, then you certainly can't magic up the additional servers at the click of your fingers. You have to pay for them, you have to wait for delivery, you have to set them up, you have to stress test them, etc. etc.

Some people might suggest (going by what I'm reading around the rest of the internet, not here, so this is a slightly unprovoked rant within this thread ) that you can always get servers at the drop of a hat, too, but that's not the case - there are lead times for such things, especially when you want the exact specification as your others servers which at a launch time they will want. There is a global queue at the server manufacturers and they will be waiting on parts from other parts manufacturers on occasion. Sometimes you simply can't get the servers on a next day delivery, even when you're Square Enix. I work for Computacenter who sell to some of the largest banks in the world including HSBC, Lloyds TSB, Halifax Bank of Scotland, Royal Bank of Scotland. I think we spend high hundreds of millions of pounds at Lenovo ever year. And sometimes we have to tell the banks they will have to wait for their servers because there are none and there is a queue. We can escalate at Lenovo or HP or wherever and do everything we can to make things happen, but this stuff simply doesn't happen overnight. This is something I've been dealing with since the day I got my job over eleven years ago. I wish we could get things turned around that fast!

Sorry, the IT worker in me just gets a little annoyed when people assume things are that easy. SE is a major company in this world and they do their marketing. Sometimes it's not right, but I'm pretty confident they will be doing a far better job at it than the likes of us. And when it goes wrong because of inaccurate marketing (and a very unpredictably high market at that which couldn't have been predicted based on what was being said around the internet by users before Open Beta) then the IT side of things will not be solved at the drop of a hat.

The problem was that everyone and their uncle were "undecided" until Phase Four. As pointed out earlier, the demand didn't jump up three fold, it jumped up five fold. Everyone was saying this relaunch would be fairly doomed because of the tainting that came about from 1.x's launch, and that the game would lose out significantly because of that alone. It doesn't look like any of these predictions (which were happening until Phase Four) came true. They made a game that is better than they thought, if anything.
    Who's "everyone"? Also companies like these have teams dedicated to market researching and forecasting sales, they get paid lots to do it too...

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."