Thread: Goats

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Default Goats

So recently I've been replaying Broken Sword I and II (gosh, aren't they great games?), and replaying the original Broken Sword reminded me of the most ridiculous puzzle that I've come across in a game.

The Goat Puzzle.

Admittedly, it was apparently simplified in the 2009 version on Steam that I replayed. It was such a notorious puzzle, it apparently even deserves its own Wikipedia article: The Goat Puzzle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Broken_Sword_Goat.png

This puzzle drove me mad when I first played the game in the mid-90s. For those blissfully unaware of this particular game, after having used a sewer key to grant you access to the battlement of a castle (as you do), you arrive at a goat guarding an entrance to an archaeological dig you need to enter. The goat stops you entering. The only way to get past it is to let the goat butt you, but then as it returns to it original position, move a piece of farming equipment in the way. That way, when it tries to butt you next time, the goat then gets entangled in the machinery and you can get past.

So what's the most annoying puzzle you've come across in a game?

There is this one ridiculously stupid puzzle in Ni No Kuni involving 2 movable statues up against a wall and 9 slots on the floor to put them in. The solution; switch the statues around up against the wall. The 9 slots serve no function at all. How stupid is that?

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In the UK Play (a Playstation magazine I used to collect) actually "banned" (actually, they just stopped replying) people from writing to them about the goat because they always got asked about it. This was after they posted a solution to it in one issue saying that this is the last time they answer questions about the goat. In a later issue, someone asked about the goat, and their reply was just "ahhhhhhhhhh!!"(they also answered a seperate quesion about Broken Sword by saying that they were done with it, and it was "an old game".)

Oh, I'll try and think of puzzles I got stuck on.

Lufia 2. The Hardest Trick In The World.

Took me almost an entire revolution of the earth to figure it out. And I didn't cheat!

In Lufia 2, you mean....

(SPOILER)The Box in the door to keep it from shutting trick?

That one I got as well! Second hardest one for me was the last re-growing vines puzzle, where if any flower fully blooms you have to restart it. That one took me freakin' ages.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Pete for President View Post
    There is this one ridiculously stupid puzzle in Ni No Kuni involving 2 movable statues up against a wall and 9 slots on the floor to put them in. The solution; switch the statues around up against the wall. The 9 slots serve no function at all. How stupid is that?
    Sometimes misleading puzzles are good though! But I expect this one was not in the vein of "good" misleading puzzles

Despite being a pretty bright kid, I've never been one for puzzling and usually end up confused and frustrated

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    In Lufia 2, you mean....

(SPOILER)The Box in the door to keep it from shutting trick?
    I don't know what you're referring to, but it was a puzzle where you had to slide various rectangular shapes around a board, and move the back one to the front...

(SPOILER)

This thing.

I was determined to beat it, and I did. I rule!

I looked it up, and all the years and times I've played and beaten this game I didn't even know that puzzle existed until now. O_O