Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Am I going nuts...

Default Am I going nuts...

Or is this game the best final final fantasy game released?

Just decided to dust it off and play it again and I've just had the realisation that it's smurfing fantastic for the following reasons.

- There's no pathetic, childish , emo love story forced on you
    - The world seems filled. In other releases you'd swear it was a post-apocalyptic nightmare of a place where only your group and a few scattered souls survive.
    - The storyline is mature and for the first time almost believable.
    - the bad guys don't look like angry transvestites anymore and actually look pretty smurfing cool.
    - Tidus isnt in it
    - you can dedicate as much or as little time you can to it. You get your moneys worth.
    - the characters that annoy you no longer outnumber the characters that dont.
    - Balthier and Fran are probably the best protagonists of the FF series.
    - Along with FFIX it's probably the best written of all the games
    - Tidus isnt in it
    - It's not too silly (FFIX, even though i love FF IX it's undoubtedly made as a fun homage-type title) or too pathetically emo (FFVIII) it finds that awesome middle ground.
    - it's a world. It comes across as a world. ie. you're not wandering from a smurfing snow field into a dark forestr, into a great plain in a few tiny steps. You get the sense you're actually smurfing travelling.
    - Tidus isnt in it
    - the gambit system. One word. Revolutionary.
    - weather. there's smurfing weather.
    - There's many shades of grey. Not just you're tired good vs evil.
    - There's a smurfing T-Rex
    - You get to kill bunnies who only want to cure you.
    - Moogles are back.
    - Tidus isnt in it
    - The sidequests are relatively enjoyable and not smurfing tortuous.

Discuss

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The best part of this game is killing sleeping Cactuars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Tidus isn't in it? I'll play it.

You forgot to mention the amazing soundtrack.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    Or is this game the best final final fantasy game released?
    Yeah you're 100 per cent insane. The best Final Fantasy ? What acid are you smoking and stay away from it.

- There's no pathetic, childish , emo love story forced on you
    Emo ? What its this ? 2006 ?

In other releases you'd swear it was a post-apocalyptic nightmare of a place where only your group and a few scattered souls survive.
    Which made them more entertaining and actually interesting to play. Unlike being a huge bore with tag-alongs.

- The storyline is mature and for the first time almost believable.
    One of the female characters is a fricken Playboy Bunny.

- the bad guys don't look like angry transvestites anymore and actually look pretty smurfing cool.
    Kuja was a fantastic villain. Again stop that LSD you seem to be drilling into yourself.

- Tidus isnt in it
    It has VAAN instead. I'll hang out with Tiddles over Vaan anyday.

[/quote]
    - you can dedicate as much or as little time you can to it. You get your moneys worth.
    You can do this with any Final Fantasy. Final Fantasy XII just has more sidequests which are dull as hell. I'll rather have sidequests like the FF VII Gold Saucer than the sleeping pills the FF XII sidequestes were.

- the characters that annoy you no longer outnumber the characters that dont.
    Vaan- Worse than Tidus, obnoxious tag-along
    Penelo- Obnoxious tag-along
    Fran- Playboy Bunny sending womens rights back to the Stone Age
    Balthier- Arrogant prick who thought that he was God of the Earth
    Basche- The Evil Twin/ Brother thing has already been done better with FFIV and FF IX
    Ashe- They didn't make her the lead when they should of a huge blow to the game.

Tidus- Annoying but he had a decent reason too and had CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT unlike Vaan
    Yuna- One of the best Final Fantasy females out there
    Lulu- Strong, beautiful Mother Type and Sister to Yuna. Harsh but understandable
    Auron- Calm and enigmatic. Interesting. Interesting isn't in FFXII's world.
    Kimahri- Pretty underated ? Brother/ Protecter type to Yuna, nice guy again interesting.
    Wakka- the only disappointment FF X has.

- Balthier and Fran are probably the best protagonists of the FF series.
    * Spews up Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner *

- Along with FFIX it's probably the best written of all the games
    FF IX yes
    FF XII no

- It's not too silly
    Playboy bunny

- it's a world. It comes across as a world. ie. you're not wandering from a smurfing snow field into a dark forestr, into a great plain in a few tiny steps. You get the sense you're actually smurfing travelling.
    Disagree heavily. FF I- FF9 it feels like your travelling. FF X and FF XIII are the only games that don't feel like your travelling.

FF XII-2 did the Chrono Trigger thing which made it awesome.

- the gambit system. One word. Revolutionary.
    Yeah sure the computer does the work for you. You'll love FF XIII it triples that format.

- weather. there's smurfing weather.
    There's more weather outside and it's real weather not 2006 PS2 graphics weather.

- There's many shades of grey. Not just you're tired good vs evil.
    Leo says Hi
    Celes says Hi
    Beatrix says Hi
    Cecil says Hi
    Kuja says Hi
    Golbez says Hi

- There's a smurfing T-Rex
    Final Fantasy VIII says hi. Oh wait I forget Final Fantasy VIII is just a "emo" "childish" love story my apologizes.

- You get to kill bunnies who only want to cure you.
    That's pretty mean. Poor Bunnies.

- Moogles are back.
    Will actually give you this one. The FF 12 Moogles are pretty cool.

- Tidus isnt in it
    V
    A
    A
    N

- The sidequests are relatively enjoyable and not smurfing tortuous.
    We couldn't be more different.
    Last edited by maybee; 08-30-2013 at 02:10 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ignore maybee. She's still young, and you, Cuch, are absolutely right (and I rarely agree with what you say). This game is fantastic Yet it still deserves much more love than it gets.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Holy crap I agree with Cuch.

Hell has just frozen over now, hasn't it?

Blog Entries

It's my third favorite FF, below IX and VI, but they're all really close. I hate Vaan, but I love the game overall. 9/10 would play again if I could find it.

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wizard of Fynn View Post
    Ignore maybee. She's still young
    Age doesn't equal anything though. It's just a number.

FF XII was terrible and I don't understand this forums love for it. Final Fantasy VI and Final Fantasy VI are clearly better games.

&

Vaan
    Last edited by maybee; 09-01-2013 at 03:58 AM.

When I gave Douze a shot, I was couch surfing in the house of a director friend, and my life was basically trout.

It hasn't improved much, but my outlook on it has changed such that I'd be interested in giving it another shot.

I still wish they'd bring the ATB back.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post

FF XII was terrible and I don't understand this forums love for it. Final Fantasy VI and Final Fantasy VI are clearly better games.

&

Vaan
    You just listed VI twice

And what exactly is wrong with a level-headed supporting protagonist? Vaan is easily the most mature "lead" (yeah, I know he isn't actually one, but you get the picture) from the post-VI FFs, if only for the fact that he is the one who influences Ashe to give up on chasing the memory of her husband and look to the future, past the Occuria's influence, not destroy Archadia and bring actual peace to the land.

EDIT: Also, sadly, age is not just a number. That was meant as a joke, since I myself am not much older than you, but there are certain things that we are oblivious to until we are older. Thus, our tastes get refined once we get older. Still not saying everyone will like XII once they age, though
    Last edited by Fynn; 09-01-2013 at 10:08 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

&

Vaan
    You just listed VI twice

And what exactly is wrong with a level-headed supporting protagonist? Vaan Tidus is easily the most mature "lead" from the post-VI FFs, if only for the fact that he is the one who influences Ashe Yuna to give up on chasing the memory of her husband her old beliefs and look to the future for another way, past the Occuria's Church of Yevon's influence, not destroy Archadia herself and bring actual peace to the land.
    If you're gonna give Vaan credit for his actions, gotta give Tidus credit for his, too.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Karifean View Post

&

Vaan
    You just listed VI twice

And what exactly is wrong with a level-headed supporting protagonist? Vaan Tidus is easily the most mature "lead" from the post-VI FFs, if only for the fact that he is the one who influences Ashe Yuna to give up on chasing the memory of her husband her old beliefs and look to the future for another way, past the Occuria's Church of Yevon's influence, not destroy Archadia herself and bring actual peace to the land.
    If you're gonna give Vaan credit for his actions, gotta give Tidus credit for his, too.
    I would, if X would stop banging that huge hammer against my head.

Can't give Tidus, or any of FFX for that matter, credit for subtlety. XII (arguably) was much more subtle in that regard, which makes it better by wide margin, IMO.

I think the things that make it the best for me are the things that make it the worst for others.

I just feel it a very mature, well-thoughtout game that that the balls to take a few risks with the gameplay. The ATB had to go. I know traditionalists still bang on about it but it was dating very fast.

Vaan was slightly annoying but he's honestly the only one who can be. Everyone else are fanmtastic characters.

Final Fantasy X had one decent protagonist, Auron. That's it. The others were complete balls. You had the most annoying lead ever in Tidus, supported by this rag-tag cast of complete imbeciles. Wakka who managed to annoy and insult every Pacific Islander who played it. A character who was morally against machina all his life who after one tame conversation suddenly changed his views. Lulu who was some goth chick with a smurfing doll she nursed as a baby somehow on an island full of ppl in grass skirts (plus she had too many belts), then Rikku who was basically every jailbait lovers dream whos sole purpose there was to titilate horny gamers. The 'world' was sparce and pathetic, the boss was a joke, and the whole story was just terrible. It really was.

I enjoyed 9 a lot even though that story was convoluted madness, 8 was just unbearable, 7 was pretty good and 6 is a fanboy favorite of mine but for nostalgic reasons rather than how good it actually is.

It's time 12 gotb the credit it deserved it really is.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm starting to feel like the only one who hardly cares about the appearance of characters at all.

I guess I just don't see it. Neither did Wakka's change of heart seem forced, sudden or unnatural to me (come on, he was watching genocide occur), nor did Rikku ever feel unnecessary. Nor do I see what exactly makes Auron so much better than the others. Don't get me wrong, he's a great character, but not a stand-alone. But whatever, it's not like I'm gonna change your view on these things.

About the ATB having to go, I have to disagree. We just came from X-2, the game with hands down the best ATB application in the series - hard to say it was "dating". Still very much enjoyed XII's different take on it, though. Actually, during combat X-2 and XII are very similar, it's the initiation of combat that is completely different. I still think they could go a long way with ATB, but I don't dislike the change either.