Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Currently Reading

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't think anyone should be put down for how many/few books they read in a year. It's not a competition - we're all here to engage in literary love!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I don't think anyone was being put down! I didn't! But I am still proud about how many I've read this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

The Nerd Who Knows Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I was not intending to put anyone down, and I really hope that wasn't the impression I gave. I was merely surprised because I know Pike writes so much. I just kinda saw the two things coinciding.

I feel like I am in a reading rut right now. I can't seem to push through and actually finish any of the books I am reading.

<PaperStar> live fast, die young, bad plefs do it well

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Yeah I hope my post didn't come off that way - in fact I'm pretty convinced all of you people are better and more devoted than I am, and obviously much more well read. My question was an honest one; I feel that I do not read enough and I want to know how to improve on this front!

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Sorry guys, I know you were teasing but I must have misinterpreted xD

god pikey why don't you arrange your priorities

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I wasn't even teasing. I thought PLEftBW was saying 6 books is a lot to read!

Honestly, Pike, if you really want to read more, I'd say devote more time to it. That's all there is. I mean, I don't even know how much you read every day. But maybe for 45 minutes to an hour before bedtime. It'd dip into your vidya time, but reading seems like a pretty good exchange.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

A Game of Thrones

possible book spoilers
    Sansa is much more likable in literature. It's been difficult watching her on the show because at first she was introduced as a huge brat and since then, it's been difficult for me to like her, although she appears to have brunt of the misfortune stick and I do sympathize with her for that. I guess I haven't been able to grasp much of her character between brattiness and misery from the show, and I have't liked her much. I am liking her much more in being able to read her thoughts.

The Hound is one of my favorites from the show, and he is one of my favorites in the book as well, even with so little of him between the pages so far.

I feel like there was so much of Tyrion on screen during this first season, but with how far I am, I feel like I haven't heard of much of him at all. I am still not far, though, 304/807 ;-; I thought there was much less than that, but I appear to have over five hundred pages left!

I will say that George RR Martin does not strike me as an amazing writer so far. He is able to spill well-crafted stories that are interesting and that I enjoy reading. I do not, however, feel much character behind his writing, and he doesn't write in a way that moves me. It's almost bland, almost as if he's recounting someone else's tales while lacking the proper voice behind them to make them into something more. Were the stories themselves less interesting, I do not think I would want to finish these books. Of course, I am not very far, and this is the first book in the series. Maybe he finds his footing a little better as his writing goes on.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Believe me, they use Tyrion waaaay more than how he is in the books. First season was okay, but it's gotten to be really obnoxious.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

He's one of the best characters! I really enjoy seeing him on screen. I would be much more motivated to watch him than to watch Theon or Robb's story.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The issue is that they use him where he shouldn't be used, and cut out times from characters with equally interesting stories that should be getting more coverage. Like how they did that made up scene where Pod gets laid and it spans three smurfing episodes and is like, 15 minutes of screen time, and completely unnecessary.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Sure, I can agree with that.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

That's my only real issue. If they spent adequate time with other characters and had time left over (which they probably wouldn't) and decided to do bits with him, I wouldn't care. Of course, this is a fan gripe. But I just think it's obnoxious to cut somewhat important stuff out to add in jokes! And all with Tyrion!

Still, I'd rather watch him than Dany, so there's that.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I know you aren't a fan of Danaerys, haha. I am interested in her story to see what happens, but I have to say that I didn't realize she'd be quite so meek and submissive so far. Her character on screen seems to have much more direction and she seems much deeper than she does between pages. She and Sansa are exact opposites to me in that I prefer Danaerys' live action role and Sansa's literary role.

It's hard battling between the books and the show! Especially since the show was my first introduction.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Dany gets a bit more assertive, but she's really, really stupid. I don't care if she's only 14. If she's gonna call herself a queen and start a war, she better be prepared for some trout.

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

I just LOVE Douglas Adams and this book is no exception. Some elements were re-created from two of his Doctor Who scripts, City of Death and the unfinished Shada. I really need to read the second book, The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul.

Somewhat off-topic, but I didn't like that the TV show Dirk Gently was canceled after only four episodes. It could have grown to be something brilliant. Sigh.