Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 591011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Currently Reading

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Not anything right now, but I was just reading Y Last Man book 3. The series is extremely good I recommend it. I'll definitely get books 4 and 5 when I have the money.

Started watching Brandon Sanderson's writing sci fi/fantasy lectures so Now I'm reading his novels - on book one of Mistborn.

FFXIV Character

Exu Shadowalk (Odin)

^I just finished reading a Brandon Sanderson book myself, Words of Radiance, it's the second book of his Stormlight Archive series and is absolutely brilliant. Well developed law and excellent action, high-fantasy at it's best.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Currently reading Let's Explore Diabetes With Owls by David Sedaris. It started out slow and a bit disappointing - I wasn't sure if I wanted to continue reading. 30% in, though, had me laughing out loud. Good read so far.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

The Wolf of Wall Street. I think I like it better than the movie so far.

I'm currently re-reading my namesake (The Kalevala), and reading Proper Gauge (the second in Hugh Howey's Wool series) and The King in Yellow (pre-Lovecraft Lovecraftian collection of short stories referenced in True Detective). I've also been making my way through The Walking Dead. I just finished volume six.

I really like Proper Gauge and The King in Yellow. I actually prefer the writing on The Walking Dead's tv adaptation to the comics. Kirkman writes like a 15-year old. That being said, there are some great moments.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Kalevala View Post
    I'm currently re-reading my namesake (The Kalevala), and reading Proper Gauge (the second in Hugh Howey's Wool series) and The King in Yellow (pre-Lovecraft Lovecraftian collection of short stories referenced in True Detective). I've also been making my way through The Walking Dead. I just finished volume six.

I really like Proper Gauge and The King in Yellow. I actually prefer the writing on The Walking Dead's tv adaptation to the comics. Kirkman writes like a 15-year old. That being said, there are some great moments.
    Are you watching True Detective right now? It's what made me google The King in Yellow and now I'm kinda entranced by those weird ass stories.

I'm reading French Kids Eat Everything and just the other day finished reading the sequel to Angelfall by Susan Ee, World After. I think I'll try Warmth of Other Suns next, or maybe a classic.

Yeah, I started following the series around episode four or five. I, like you, googled it after hearing it mentioned in the show.

I'm a big fan of Lovecraft and weird fiction, so I was pleasantly surprised. It also adds to the creepy atmosphere of the show quite a bit.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Can I bring this back? I'm bringing it back.

Just read Chuck Palahniuk's short story Guts. I took nothing from it. Absolutely nothing. Nothing more than a waste of time shock-factor story. Guts is an excerpt from Haunted, which I've been meaning to read for a while. Now I don't think I want to.

Becoming increasingly more disappointed and disillusioned with him. He has a bunch of great work under his belt and every artist should be afforded their casualties, but after being unable to get very far into Lullaby, my disappointment with Rant, and now this I just... don't love how his work seems to be progressing.

0/10 for Guts.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I read guts. It was bleh. I've also lost my luster for him as well.

I'm currently working on another paranormal one. I like that genre okay...

First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones

I'm very amused. It's funny. It's about a grim reaper helping solve murders of the dead people she sees.
    Last edited by Freya; 07-16-2014 at 08:35 PM.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Right? No literary value whatsoever.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I think what I liked about Palahniuk before was that he was "edgy". But I've only got that a few times that I enjoyed it. It's hit or miss. He either hits it or really misses it.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

He edges all over the place. I appreciate edgy when it has a place in a story. His edginess is either hit or miss when it comes to relevancy, yeah.

del murder, Aldous Huxley is one of my favorites. are you going to read brave new world revisited?

just got Stephen King's Mr. Mercedes for my birthday from my wife and son. maybe 1/3 of the way through it. it reads almost like a detective novel, but by Stephen king. it's pretty good so far! if you've read it, please NO SPOILERS. I'm a "constant reader" of mr. kings.

to the people talking about the guy who wrote fight club, I don't really care much for his later stuff either. only read maybe two things by him though, so I don't want to be to quick to judge or anything.
    Last edited by jodymcdougle; 07-16-2014 at 09:39 PM.

Blog Entries

I've still been plugging away slowly at Death By Black Hole while on breaks at work. When at home I've been reading The Alchemist.