Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

Thread: Currently Reading

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

Picked up a lot of Glenn Cook's books a few years ago, but I haven't managed to finish any of them. I like that I'm not reading about the best fighters/mages/demons etc. It's cool to read about the common, everyday warrior's life.

Dog Soldiers by Robert Stone. I dig the style and it reminds me of my own personal debauchery in Saigon.

Formerly Important Lonely Paper Star's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Saerin Vanagloria (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Chat Operator

I finished Prisoner of Azkaban yesterday, then started on Goblet of Fire. I'm just a few pages in, though.

Also on the last Dunk and Egg story (out of three).

Starting on my left with one, your number comes up, you go.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who hasn't completed the HP series!

Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Game of Thrones, book three, part 1.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Just finished the two Shopaholic books and have started on The Help. Love how it is written, enjoying it so far!

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I am reading a draft copy of The White Lance for class. Not bad.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I am reading this great book about the Confederate States of America and this raiding boat that sailed around the world trolling other ships and it's freaking fantastic so far. It's called "Sea of Gray" and I love it.

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Dancing Chocobo

Last week I read:

Why-I-m-Like-This-9780688178505.jpg

As far as I can tell, the reason she is like that is because she's a narcissist. This is a book I'd come across often, admiring the title each time. It was the best thing about this bland piece of self-importance.

7815.jpg

This is the first thing I have read by J-Diddy, but not the last. Not as crushing as I had braced myself for, but in the aftermath of easing back into her "normal" life, I felt the pieces of emotion and confusion seep through. Compelling.

PcI2R.Em.56.jpeg

I am proud to say that I was the very first person at my library to read this book, having put it on hold months in advance. By now her themes are familiar - The East Coast of the states vs. India, the navigation of immigration and generational ties, secrets, bonds. Strong delicate, inspirational prose. I am going to attempt to see Ms Lahiri at a reading next week, for which no tickets are to be issued. It is a chance worth taking.

I'm in the middle of reading Haruki Murakami's memoir, which is doing an excellent job of reminding me what a lazy, useless human piece of waste I am. I will hold off because I am about to collect another book on hold, which is in high demand resulting in a reduced loan period. Will report more later.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    I am reading this great book about the Confederate States of America and this raiding boat that sailed around the world trolling other ships and it's freaking fantastic so far. It's called "Sea of Gray" and I love it.
    I finished reading this in like a week which is really fast for me because it usually takes me like six months to read one book but this was really good, I was super impressed.

I'm reading one about Lewis and Clark now!

Articles
    Blog Entries

I finished The Prince of Nothing. It certainly lives up to the hype. The last two books weren't as stunning as the first one for me, if only because of the iteration that went into them. The author had 20 years to perfect his debut, but had to continue after that with all the pressures of someone who writes for a living. Regardless, the world-building certainly approaches Tolkien levels and the philosophy/psychology focus absolutely lives up to the Frank Herbert legacy. All in all, it did a great job bringing The Lord of the Rings and Dune, the two juggernaut pioneers of their respective commercial genres, together in a masterful way. The controversy surrounding the female characters was indeed pretty disturbing, and I can't say Bakker doesn't deserve the criticisms he gets from feminist circles, but I do appreciate that he at least gets people thinking and talking about these issues.

I just cracked open The Time of Contempt, the second full novel in The Witcher series that inspired the CD Projekt RPGs. I've heard European readers lament the English translations, but overall it's a joy to be back in the setting, while Sapkowski's scenes and style are appreciably distinct.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I just received my copy of Rant by Chuck Palahniuk that I ordered Slowly making my way through the Palahniuk bibliography. This will be the sixth book of his I've read once I'm done with it.

Readers criticize Palahniuk because apparently his twists are easy to see after a few of his books are read enough to pick up his style of writing, but I always find myself surprised. The only one I couldn't find it in myself to move forward on was Lullaby because the concept seemed so hokey to me, but I think I'll give it another shot at another time. I found a list online that rated Rant as his #2 writing, second to Haunted (which was my other choice of purchasing a book, but I went with this one instead) which surprised me because so many readers all typically list Fight Club first, Invisible Monsters second, with Choke and Survivor battling for third and fourth place and then probably Diary fifth. It was nice to see a change of pace in ranking his novels.

Pretty excited! I've been finding myself wanting to read Survivor again lately, too, so I'll probably pick that up by the end of the year.

Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson - Not really feelin' it yet.

Re-reading A Game of Thrones as I re-watch season one - read a few chapters, watch an episode. It's quite fun

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Just finished Conqueror by Conn Iggulden. I hope to go through more of his work someday. Have moved onto Tiger! Tiger! by Alfred Bester for probably the fiftieth time in my life. xD

I'm quite limited in choice here, but I did find a copy of 1984 and Animal Farm published in both Chinese and English. 1984 has each page split directly down the middle, with each language taking up half the page, and Animal Farm has each chapter alternating between the two. It's funny.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Locky View Post
    Just finished the two Shopaholic books and have started on The Help. Love how it is written, enjoying it so far!
    eeeee!! I love the Shopaholic books! Although past a certain one, it kinda goes downhill, IMO. And I'm not a big fan of any of the other books Sophia Kinsella has written under any of her other aliases.