Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101115 ... LastLast

Thread: Currently Reading

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Grin

04SILOBOOK-articleInline-v2.jpg

I finished reading this a couple of weeks ago. I really raced through it, which I don't normally do with books. I enjoyed it (although there are parts that are problematic) and think a lot of eoffers would too. Sarah, I'm currently reading the latest Palahniuk!

This month has been so busy that I've only read a few books. My goal for the next couple of months is to not read any library books and only read stuff from my own library, which is going to take immense willpower given I'm always finding interesting looking library books. I just took some of my cast-offs to my closest second-hand bookstore and got $80 in trade for them, but our one bookshelf is still really cramped. A quick count reveals I have about 225 books, which isn't so many but quite a bit for someone with one bookshelf who insists they'll never live in a space bigger than a two-bedroom apartment!

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

The Girl Who Played with Fire
    I should have read the series a long time ago, but kept putting it off. I've been told the first book is infinitely better than the sequels but so far I'm really liking how the second book is developing.

The Essential Neruda: selected poems (bilingual)
    Very simply, Pablo Neruda was a genius.

And there are other memories, still looking for
    something to bite,
    like fierce, unsatisfied teeth.
    They gnaw us to the last bone, devouring
    the long silence of all that lies behind us.

In between TGwtDT and TGWPwF, I read Elric of Melnibone, which I'm still iffy about. Going to read the rest of the series, but I really wonder how much better the books would be in the original French. I think the translation makes the writing somewhat stilted.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Calliope View Post
    04SILOBOOK-articleInline-v2.jpg

I finished reading this a couple of weeks ago. I really raced through it, which I don't normally do with books. I enjoyed it (although there are parts that are problematic) and think a lot of eoffers would too. Sarah, I'm currently reading the latest Palahniuk!
    Ooooh, which one! Is it Doomed?

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Dancing Chocobo

Yeah, although I haven't read Damned. I don't think it makes much of a difference though.

Not breaking faith today Shaibana's Avatar
    Blog Entries

still readin the first Game Of Thrones book. Jon has just killed the walker with Ghost.

i am a very slow reader it seems.. i started reading about half a year ago. i easely 'forget' the book

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I had got through reading Parable of the Sower like a week ago. The ending was sort of disappointing; it didn't leave me satisfied. Right now I'm reading Vampire Lesbians of Sodom. I'm not sure if the intention of the book is supposed to be funny, but it sure as hell comes across so with its flowery dialogue.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm halfway into Rant and my mind is being blown. No evident twists of stories as per his usual themes have emerged, but these things usually surface near the end. Maybe there won't be one at all! What has emerged are some very unusual developments that have not been mentioned at all earlier in the book and I have a feeling the story is about to get much more interesting. Many of the characters' relationships with Rant are explained at the beginning of the book because many of them are people he grew up with, knew as a kid or were family. The relationships of the remaining narrators - who I can only assume were his friends - are just now being explained and it's intriguing, to say the least about it.

I've read a lot of criticism about how this book is confusing. It's a collective narrations about a dead man, sortof like a memoir, I guess, but it's obviously all very fictional. In reviews, I've read that some people found it difficult to follow all the different narrations and characters presented. Another theme of Palahniuk's is jumping the story and setting all over the goddamn place, which I understand can create a feeling of confusion. Once you understand the story's structure and pacing, though, it becomes easier to follow. I also find that the jumping around makes me anticipate happenings more and makes me more excited for what comes next. It might be a cheap trick, but it works on me.

I have read similar criticisms of Rant about his book Haunted, which I picked up last night. A friend of mine recommended this to me earlier this year and I kindof rolled my eyes at it because saying her taste is less-than-stellar would a compliment to her. Now I feel bad for the eye-rolling because if Haunted is in any way, shape or form like Rant, I think I will greatly enjoy it.

I keep acquiring new books and don't read the ones I already have ;_________;
    Last edited by Shorty; 11-09-2013 at 04:25 AM.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I re-read the entire Harry Potter series.

I also read three books while on vacation:

I loved And the Mountains Echoed. I feel like it went straight to my heart. The Golem & the Jinni was enchanting and lovely, but fell apart a bit toward the end. But still a great read. And Eleanor & Park made me roll my eyes for the first few chapters, but then it was like, awww. It was cute.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I want to read all three of those books, Miriel! Especially The Golem and the Jinn. Sad to hear that it falls apart, though. The plot synopsis sounds awesome.

Friedgreenbook.jpg

I've seen the movie so many times. My mom has read this book in the past and loved it. I always meant to get around to read it, but I don't know how much I would've liked it before now. I'm not so keen on how much it jumps around. I want more Idgie and Ruth. I don't really care as much about Ninnie and Evelyn, they're the frame, not the main story! I do find the bulletin clips kind of humorous, though. Oh, what was considered news in a small town in the 1930s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

I'm currently reading a definite hostile atmosphere

The books are all the same

I can't focus on the words anymore, It's like all the endings have been spoiled

But writing?

Yeah, I'd be up for that

Don't worry, I know how to make my bosses look good

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Blech, Rant ended horribly. It ended up being a mix of Fight Club, Diary (a past novel of Palahniuk's) and Back to the Future. Unforgivable. 5/10.

I picked up The Night Circus some time ago, but got distracted and put it down. For what reason, I don't know, but I've picked it back up again. Reading this book makes me excited and makes me feel the way I remember I did when I first read the Harry Potter books as a kid. It's hard to think that Erin Morgenstern has only written one book, when she seems to write so well. Her talent in painting mental pictures and transporting you to what exactly is going on with fine details is amazing.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I read that at the beginning of the summer and I LOVED it. She paints a picture so vividly. I want to go to Le Cirque des Reves. I wasn't that impressed with the climax of the book, but it was very very good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Sounds cool. I'll have to give that a read at some point!

Currently reading Kite Runner. I'm not very far into it yet, but I'm liking it.

A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge. First of his work I've read and I'm pretty blown away. Here's to hoping it can maintain the same level of quality throughout.

If tomorrow comes is what i am reading at the moment. That is really an awesome book i guess.