Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 267891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Currently Reading

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I got halfway into Game of Thrones and ordered the next one from the series.

Just over 400 pages in ;-; It goes on forever!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'm about 130 pages into Fellowship of the Ring. I'm absolutely loving it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I just read a Sophie Kinsella flick. "Can You Keep a Secret?" It was utter troute, in that it was just the same character from Shopaholic again basically, like, the awkward girl character who just wants a boyfriend by the end of the novel.

I couldn't put it down though. I haven't been up to any hardcore reading for a while. I have another of the Shopaholic series to read which I'm looking forward to, though.

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Dancing Chocobo

I just finished reading this. It wasn't as good as Winter Journal, but I think I benefited from reading it. I am, however, pretty sick of reading true stories of well-to-do white people who gallavant around the world, drop in and out of ivy league schools as they feel like it, abandon their kids/cheat on their spouses, and come out the other end with prestigious careers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Locky View Post
    I just read a Sophie Kinsella flick. "Can You Keep a Secret?" It was utter troute, in that it was just the same character from Shopaholic again basically, like, the awkward girl character who just wants a boyfriend by the end of the novel.

I couldn't put it down though. I haven't been up to any hardcore reading for a while. I have another of the Shopaholic series to read which I'm looking forward to, though.

I love the shopaholic series! The first 3 are the best though, IMHO. I've read other books by Kinsella under her different names- 20's Girl, Remember Me?, and something else about the girl who goes to funerals to meet wealthy guys or something.. I wasn't a big fan of them though.

I'm working through the 2nd book in the Beautiful Creatures series... I figure if I read the 1st one, might as well finish the series.

And I've been breezing through Alyson Noel novels.. They're more teenagery, but they're quick & easy reads and not 1/2 bad. I can finish 1 of her standalone books in about a day. She's probably got around 20 or more total written though- 2 series that span over 6 or so books and then the standalones.

I think there's another book I'm reading as well, but I'm not totally shure.

OH! Dr. Franklin's Island!~ I've read it before, a long time ago.. It's like an updated Island of Dr. Moreau, apparently (which I have -not- read)..

Fluttershy Recognized Member Ashi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Chat Operator

I love the Sophie Kinsella books also! Even though the stories are always repetitive in my opinion but there is something about her writing that gets me hooked immediately!!

Right now I'm borrowing Agatha Christie's Spider's Web from my mom. Hoping reading in bed helps me sleep though not sure how.

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Dancing Chocobo

I just finished reading this, which is a good example of a person doing the impressive job of chronicling their life by describing what happened, as opposed to a marvellous writer rendering events in a way that connects with the reader and results in a beautiful piece of work.

I almost threw this book out the window when our hero (whose family "lost everything" under the Palestinian occupation) finishes private school, studies abroad at two expensive schools in London, and then decides to drop everything and stay in India for three months because he decided he likes yoga.

I have not yet decided what to read next but it better involve someone suffering eloquently and facing life consequences, goddammit. Perhaps it will be The Chronology of Water.

Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I finished A Storm of Swords earlier today. I love this book. I found the first two quite difficult to get stuck into. I don't know why. But this book had me hooked from start to finish.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Storm of Swords is EXCELLENT.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Yep, I think most people agree that SoS is the best book in the series. xD

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson.

As part of one of my New Years resolutions, I have mapped out the twenty books I will read this year. Hopefully I can read more than the twenty, but considering how little I read nowadays, I think it is a good number. Way of Kings is the first, and the largest, of the lot.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

The Witcher: The Last Wish

Reading it in Polish, of course. Fell in love after the first chapter. I'm trying to get into it so that I can someday offer you non-Polish speaking people a translation worth your time, not the abysmal thing you received.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'm a third of the way through The Two Towers.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Because I am an old man and I read non-fiction, I'm currently reading John Darwin's Unfinished Empire: The Global Expansion of Britain. It's a history of British colonisation, the Empire, and the spread of British culture throughout the world. It was a Christmas present, but I'd had my eye on it for a while.

It's genuinely fascinating. I'm only about four chapters in, and it's mainly focussing on the formation of colonies and their relationship with Britain itself, but I've already learnt quite a bit. Reading about how people arrived into new lands like the future US and New Zealand is really interesting. As is the environmental impact, where plants and trees were literally burnt to the ground to allow the growth of European plants in New Zealand. A box of matches was considered an essential tool!
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Dancing Chocobo

Stupid Colonials ruining everything.

I finished reading this today. During the course of it I put it down, paced around the house, picked it up again, googled everything else Lidia Yuknavitch has written, made myself sad finding out that she is teaching a writing class pretty close to me next month (but the class is full), thought about going out and buying every book by other authors she had mentioned, and wondered how I could browbeat the university she teaches at into accepting me to their MFA programme - so I guess I was impressed. I will be rereading this one at another time for sure. I'm not sure I would call this book beautiful, but I would say it was compelling.