Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should FFXV remain FFVersusXIII?

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Default Should FFXV remain FFVersusXIII?

According to some people at GameTrailers: Roman numerals are a big deal!

What's your view?

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ugh, I think I want the last few minutes I spent listening to that argument back.

No, it should not be called Versus XIII. That was always a stupid name. And while it may have started under this whole FFXIII umbrella, looking at what we know about XV, I think it's safe to say that it doesn't have a whole lot in common with XIII. The story seems completely removed from XIII aside from perhaps some underlying themes, the environments are more open, the gameplay is action based instead of a troutty turn based system trying to trick you into thinking it's fast paced, and the art style in XV actually looks pretty good so far. Moreover, why the hell would they want to associate what is, at this point, a completely different game with FFXIII? XIII was awful. It's reception overall could best be described as luke warm.

This guy is whining about renaming it because he wants a a new game that pushes the series forward, but seems to have missed that it's shaping up to be quite different from previous FF titles, and with the real time combat alone will push the series somewhere it hasn't been. So basically, this game is everything he wants in a new main series FF, except he doesn't like that it started under a different name. Which is just a really dumb argument. I'm sorry, but if that affects your view on a game then it may be time to re-evaluate your priorities in your gaming life.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I only wanted it to stay Versus XIII because that would mean we get another game called FFXV and we would end up with two new games instead of one.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    I only wanted it to stay Versus XIII because that would mean we get another game called FFXV and we would end up with two new games instead of one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Except that the renaming will literally have zero impact on how many future SE games we get.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXV is way better than Versus XIII, consider it actually, y'know, makes smurfing sense.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Laddy View Post
    FFXV is way better than Versus XIII, consider it actually, y'know, makes smurfing sense.
    Versus XIII was a terrible, terrible name. And so misleading.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I thought XIII and Versus XIII were literally the two halves of the Cocoon vs. Pulse story in separate games for the longest time.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I couldn't make it past 4 minutes of his whining.

I don't give a trout which roman numerals are put behind the "Final Fantasy" words. I just want a game that has great gameplay and an interesting world and story.

If anything, I'd prefer it if "versus" was the start of a new branch of final fantasy games, which would typically be action RPGs, while the regular series wasn't action RPGs. But again, what's in a name?
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

He needs to seriously look at the Fabula Nova Crystallis games for a minute. A group of independent games sharing certain aspects of lore and history. Sound familiar? Like Moogles, Chocobos, Gilgamesh, Cactuars, etcetera. As each FNC game was developed, it became clear that the unified themes were no different than what lay at the heart of Final Fantasy. Type-0 may have used l'Cie and the Crystarium, but it was its own game. It carried its own weight and could have born the main series name for a full console release. "Versus XIII" seems much the same. Despite the initial shared concept, it is not related to XIII any more than it is the rest of the series.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Versus XIII always sounded stupid. This game has been in the works for so damn long, I don't even care anymore though.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    This was me for ages, but deep down I always knew that it wouldn't make a difference about how fast we'd get the game after whatever this one is. I think I was just excited that FFXV would be announced for PS4 and it would suddenly be halfway through production and we'd still be getting Versus XIII for the PS3 alongside it, but alas, not to be.

So yeah, FFXV is pretty much the only sensible thing to call it.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

When I first heard about the name change I wasn't worried about the roman numeral. I was just happy that the game was finally going to be released. There is a part of me that would have liked to see it stay VersusXIII just for the fact that there would be a new FFXV and than we would have 2 new awesome games, as people have said.

On the other hand, if they would have started a new XV maybe this would have ended up being a dead title like a lot of people were fearing.

On the plus side maybe they'll put an extra amount of effort in to this game now that it's a main title game as opposed to a XIII-something. Not to say it would have been any less awesome before.

Both titles are stupid. *SMACK LAID DOWN*

I mean; OK, it started as VersusXIII, or whatever order they put it in, and then it got delayed, delayed, delayed again, then Sony got a whole new console ready - and instead of acknowledging that, 'Yeah, this game got delayed... but now it's out. Rejoice', they just went and said 'Nu-uh, we'magonna call it SOMETHING NEW AND EXCITING, reigniting the hype, y0!' Smurf 'em, it just looks amateurish.
    That said, since there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of touching points between this game and what remains of the XIII continuum, and being on said new console, it DOES make a whole lot of sense to drop the XIII relation and associated associations to "antiquated" 'ardware. [Hee, I makes alliteration, I smRt!]
    (And Versus XIII was a pretty silly title to begin with.)

Damned if they do, damned if they don't. I'll pat them on the back if I think the finished game is good.
    This Apple-software (QuickTime) is not meant to be used for controlling nuclear powerplants, aircraft-navigation, communication-systems, air traffic control-systems or lifesupportive machines, where errors and shortcomings in the Apple-software may lead to deaths, injuries or serious property- or environmental damage.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I think it's safe to say that it was in SE's best interest to get FFXV out from under the XIII umbrella. People are still mad about the first two games, and while the third one looks better, first impressions never truly go away. Besides, at this point it has diverged to from the original XIII to the point where you can no longer tell where they were related in the first place. I think giving it the new title will not only make more people willing to give it a chance, but allow the game to stand out on its own much more clearly.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen