Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Default Tidus

So a comment just sparked this thought.

Final Fantasy X doesn't let you change a whole lot of details. The obvious one is Tidus's name, which is kind of weird. But do you know why you could only change his name, and not any of the other party members?

Let me frame it this way: what other names are you able to change? That's right - the aeons.

Tidus is an aeon, or at least, a dream of the fayth.

That's why you can name him.

BAM.

QED mothersmurfers.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Oh, you clever boy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I don't need to do a damn thing for the rest of the year, I filled my quota with that.

You can't change his name because the game has voice acting, and they couldn't let you name everyone, since everyone going by pronouns in spoken word would be confusing as hell. So they let you rename the main character, since that's all that really matters anyway.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

"You eatin' right, boy?"

I suppose that makes sense on a story-level. I'm more certain that they just had you name Tidus because they felt that the players still needed to have the option of inserting themselves into the game. You could not do that with every character due to the voice acting. Also, the player is in much the same situation of Tidus in that we have no idea what's going on at first. Of course, that idea kind of cuts out female players.

Hmm, but going off of your thought, could it be that we (the players) have the ability to choose Tidus' name because we are actually the fayth? We create that identity for him and watch as the dream plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by comma View Post
    You can't change his name because the game has voice acting, and they couldn't let you name everyone, since everyone going by pronouns in spoken word would be confusing as hell. So they let you rename the main character, since that's all that really matters anyway.

Just have a bonzi buddy in the game, he'd pronounce things for you.

yes very cleaver

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_ffgamer View Post
    Hmm, but going off of your thought, could it be that we (the players) have the ability to choose Tidus' name because we are actually the fayth? We create that identity for him and watch as the dream plays out.
    YES. That is a great theory. I mean, it's pretty much true, innit? As soon as we stop playing, he ceases to exist. Hell, all of Spira does, so maybe we're an offshoot of Yu Yevon?!?!?

or they could have done it Baten Kaitos style where there's literally just a short period of silence when the player name comes up in a voice conversation

Quote Originally Posted by Denmark View Post
    or they could have done it Baten Kaitos style where there's literally just a short period of silence when the player name comes up in a voice conversation
    Yeah, the Persona games have been doing that too, just omitting the name whenever it appears. It's kind of surprising how well that works. And you can always use pronouns if a sentence sounds too awkward without a name.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Dragon Quest VIII did it too, from memory. There are plenty of ways around it!

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Yeah, the Persona games have been doing that too, just omitting the name whenever it appears. It's kind of surprising how well that works. And you can always use pronouns if a sentence sounds too awkward without a name.
    That breaks suspension of disbelief every time the character name comes up. I don't like the sound of that.

This is the most interesting FFX thread in a while. Nice find and nice theories fellas! This game is genius still

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    That breaks suspension of disbelief every time the character name comes up. I don't like the sound of that.
    But comma you hardly notice when the name is missing. There's not an obvious pause, they just skip it as if it wasn't there, but leave it in the text. Have you played a Persona game before comma? I assure you, it's done really well. Besides, how often do you use a person's name when talking to them? Body language and eye contact are usually all you need to point out that I'm talking to you, comma, as opposed to someone else.

(I hope that didn't seem condescending I am just trying to illustrate the point.)

I didn't find the comment condescending, just the fact that you keep crossing out my name.

No, I haven't played Persona. I don't see why it's better to insert a pause where a person's name should be than to just say "hey bud" or "there's our guy" whenever talking to someone. Like you said, you usually don't use a person's name when talking directly to them, so why is it bad to just use pronouns like FFX?