Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Thread: Miley Cyrus' raunchy performance at the 2013 VMAs, and why I hate her now

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's not that "raunchy" bothers me, it's that she's become the epitome of Trying Too Hard. It reminds me of my whackjob sister. xP

Articles
    Blog Entries

What was the deal with the tongue thing? I was legitimately freaked out by her putting her tongue out like that through the whole performance.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I don't think it was that big of a deal. Not to mention a crap ton of people had to have collaborated on this, not just Miley herself

She needs to stop doing that tongue thing. It looks smurfing stupid. She also needs better advice and PR as she has made a massive own goal here. But she's young, she'll learn.

Btw NONE of what she's done makes her a 'skank' or a 'slut'. You need more qualifications for that other than acting like a twat on stage in an ugly rubber suit.

As to the OP, why do you always get so smurfing dramatic of what some popstar does but have nothing to say on anty topic that actually smurfing matters?

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

"Hate"? "Despise"?

That's a bit intense mate.

I mean, Bashar al-Assad is alive. Hosni Mubarak. Or George Bush and Dick Cheney if you prefer. There are some seriously nasty people who are responsible for a lot of deaths alive today. Cameron and Clegg's policies are directly responsible for suicides in the UK. Here's some war criminals and people betraying their constituents for a quick buck... aaaaaand here's Miley Cyrus.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it in for me!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shlup View Post
    It's not that "raunchy" bothers me, it's that she's become the epitome of Trying Too Hard.
    Yes. There's being Provocative, there's Challenging sexual norms, there's tongue-and-cheek raunchiness...

And then there's rubbing and swiping a foam finger all over a dude's business in front of millions of teenagers who grew up on you when you were a child star.

I guess in her defense, Robin Thicke was a lot creepier in agreeing to this than she was. ..

Articles
    Blog Entries

It was a bad performance and a thinly-veiled and deliberate grab for attention. Won't buy Miley's albums or whatevs.

Can we talk about Syria now?

I think Miley took the inspiration for the tongue thing from the greatest ever
    come on and slam

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Her VMA performance was certainly something, but I don't think we should start treating her like she's the worst thing ever. I just think she needs to straighten up her act. She's made some questionable decisions in the last couple years, and frankly I think she'll be fine in the future, if not now.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Shlup's right. She's a Try-Hard. Best to ignore her so she can meet the same fate of every Disney star before her.

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Dancing Chocobo

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMillionaire View Post
    She simulated many sex acts, including bending down with her glutes on Robin Thicke's pelvis, and popularized "twerking," which is a disgusting dance, during which she used the foam finger as a phallic symbol, at which the creator of the foam finger is disgusted at. The VMAs seem to attract controversy every year, whether it would be from raunchy performances like Miley's or Lady GaGa's, which was overshadowed by Miley's performance (not to mention Britney and Christina lockintg lips with Madonna a few years back), or other things, such as Kanye West interrupting Taylor Swift after she upset Beyonce for the "Song of the Year" award ("You Belong With Me" beat "Single Ladies"), but this performance was considered by many to be downright crass.

To be honest, I HATE Miley Cyrus now, for what she has become. She used to be nicer as her retired Disney alter-ego, Hannah Montana, and early in her career as herself, she was also pretty good, but seeing what she's become now, I can't stand her anymore. I mean, how in the world did she go from something so wholesome to something so raunchy?!

Her next single is called "Wrecking Ball," and in the video, she goes COMPLETELY NUDE. Now, I haven't seen the actual video, but I have seen screenshots of it, which were too racy to be safe for work (or school, for that matter).

I've also noticed that many of you on this forum have hated her since the beginning, but do you hate her more now than ever, because while I liked her back then, I absolutely despise her now.
    You know what I absolutely despise? Slut-shaming judgemental assholes who don't do their research. You hate Miley Cyrus? Well that's cool, just don't listen to her music. I don't. I don't think that there's anything particularly surprising about Miley Cyrus wanting to turn her ultra-controlled, micro-managed Disney franchise childhood on its head as she grows into a young adult, even if I don't agree with her creative choices. In terms of expressing herself as an oversexualized being in her physical prime, that's her choice; and I am free to respond to that by not engaging with her creative content if I don't want to.

What I do take issue with is the fact that she appropriated twerking from West African/hip-hop/ratchet culture, and surrounded herself with black women who she literally used as props during her VMA performance. I cannot stand it when people of privileged fetishize and profit from cultures that they can then choose not to participate in when it is convenient for them. Miley Cyrus gets to slap a black woman's ass for shock value and then profit from it, all the while being "trendy" for stealing someone else's culture. She gets to play at being "ghetto" or dancing like a stripper, when the reality is that she and her family are wealthy enough that she never has to do a day of work in her life, and she shows no respect for people who do have to deal with poverty and abuse.

I hated Britney and Madonna locking lips too - not because it was "slutty", but because they were dabbling in the presentation of bisexuality as something scandalous to entertain others; which is troutty given that they don't have to deal with any of the consequences of actually being bisexual. I also hated the thought of Robin Thicke being on a stage anywhere (why is Miley Cyrus getting all the flack while he still gets to sing his terrible song?) promoting a song about date rape and saying things like "what a pleasure it is to degrade a woman".
    Last edited by Calliope; 09-13-2013 at 03:09 AM.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I was wondering how long it would take for SuperMillionaire to make this thread.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Oh please.

I don't like Miley either, but I don't hate her. I'm disappointed in her because she can sing so well when she does country music. But I can see from here that she's in so much pain over things, she's been put into the spotlight so early and controlled yada yada, and it's taken a toll on her. Who here has done anything smurfing stupid when they're in pain and can't deal? I'm going to raise my hand. I'm going to raise my hand like 12 times.

Leave her alone for smurfs sake. She is what, 20 years old? Who here was the perfectly sensible and mature person at 20 years old? She has so much to learn, and she'll probably look back on this in like 10 years time and be like "Shiiiit, I actually did that. smurf." Who cares? Only she can learn from her mistakes.

Please get down from your pedestal and stop slut shaming, and maybe, just maybe you should be sending more of your 'hate' to Robin Thicke. The guy who created the most degrading song and video in a long time. Are you going to slut shame the girls in that video too? Or is it okay for them to do that for whatever reason?

EDIT: Also, twerking is not a disgusting dance, it's so much fun. Maybe you should try it.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Shlup View Post
    It's not that "raunchy" bothers me, it's that she's become the epitome of Trying Too Hard. It reminds me of my whackjob sister. xP
    This SO much. What the smurf is wrong with her tongue? Why is it always out? Why??

She comes off as so incredibly desperate.

I also think she is incredibly limited in talent, is rather unattractive, and doesn't have much class. That being said, she's a nothingburger, I hope she just goes away one day rather than continuing to try and provoke a reaction out of people by doing one desperate thing after another. I'm surprised by how strong the reaction was to her performance. I just rolled my eyes and thought, "Oh it's Miley being Miley". All that attention she got for it was probably exactly what she wanted. She strikes me as one of those people who doesn't quite grasp it when people are laughing at her instead of with her. Or if she does, she doesn't care. One of those qualities that reality TV stars tend to have in spades.