Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Miley Cyrus' raunchy performance at the 2013 VMAs, and why I hate her now

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMillionaire View Post
    long post ending in obituary
    Post of the year 2013. This stuff is absolute comedy gold. I love you and your threads. I've never know anyone get so up in arms about such pressing issues as Miss World, NASCAR, the Titanic, and fictional Disney characters. Never stop fighting the irrelevant fight on internet messageboards.

there was a picture here

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Old Manus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperMillionaire View Post
    long post ending in obituary
    Post of the year 2013. This stuff is absolute comedy gold. I love you and your threads. I've never know anyone get so up in arms about such pressing issues as Miss World, NASCAR, the Titanic, and fictional Disney characters. Never stop fighting the irrelevant fight on internet messageboards.
    Don't forget the armpits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Blog Entries

NASCAR is a very serious matter, Damnit.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    How would you feel about a thirty year old Miley Cyrus trying to sing for the 13 year old age bracket
    Honestly Jiro I have to think that still is a huge section of her demographic and the marketing team at her record label knows it.

Also, slut shaming is the cruel scrutiny of a woman for exercising her own private sexual independence. Publicly teaching teenagers to pole dance and grind all over older men in order to sell records is a completely different matter, and it trivializes real misogyny to compare the two.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I don't have much to say on this, other than I think Sinead is a bit of a bellend too.

Her letter was basically slut-shaming, whilst ignoring Robin Thicke's participation in the whole thing, and that plenty of young men (Justin Bieber) are selling their 'sexuality' to record companies and tween girls.

Blog Entries

Omg Justin Bieber grew up too!? No way*

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

After recently seeing some clips of her from SNL, I think she has pretty sexy abs. Because of this, I think I like her more now than when she was working for Disney. No, I am not shallow.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

But they still did it!
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    But they still did it!
    That's sort of my feeling on it too. Like, it sucks. But that girl chose to do something she knew she considered demeaning to further her career. I don't really feel that bad for her.

Yes, that backup dancer did participate in that performance, but regretted it, and thought about joining Cyrus for her upcoming tour (which has not yet been announced), but declined, stating that it was not worth it, because she was too embarrassed by her VMAs performance.

I forgot to point this out earlier, but in case you don't exactly get what Cyrus means by "Molly," she means MDMA. "Molly" is a slang term for the MDMA drug.

When looking up other former Disney girls, I noticed that not all Disney bad girls are created equal. Miley Cyrus, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, and the worst of all, Lindsay Lohan all are on the higher end of the spectrum, with extremely racy lyrics, outfits, and music videos (Miley and Christina worse than Britney, overall, though, and Britney got her life back together, whereas Lindsay has not), but others, such as Hilary Duff, Demi Lovato, Selena Gomez, and Vanessa Hudgens are on the lower end of the spectrum. In the case of Demi Lovato, she tried to cut herself, and had a few minor drug issues, so she ended up going to rehab, and was diagnosed with bipolar disorder; she later rebounded from that and is now a judge and coach on the U.S. version of The X Factor, alongside Simon Cowell (and formerly Britney Spears). For the other three, they had a few racy photos and/or movie roles; Hilary Duff had a Maxim magazine photo shoot and a racy movie role (I forgot which movie she starred in, but I can vaguely recall that role involving sticking a scorpion in her pants or something), but she later faded away, and is now a married mother. Vanessa Hudgens took a nude photo of herself when she was just 15 (as did Miley Cyrus), and both she and Selena Gomez starred in the R-Rated 2012 movie Spring Breakers, though it was not widely promoted, and bombed at the box office. Another notable star in that movie is Ashley Benson from the ABC Family TV series Pretty Little Liars. There is also the possibility of a High School Musical reunion special, which the former stars of the series, including both Hudgens and Ashley Tisdale, among others, are interested in.

Did Miley Cyrus' VMAs performance hurt the Disney brand? | Fox News

Also, according to the article above, back in the days when Walt Disney himself was running his company, scandals such as those involving Miley Cyrus would have been unthinkable. Why? Because he was strict with his child stars, and taught them discipline and self-respect. One of the last few stars to come out completely unscathed, and probably the biggest star until Hilary Duff came along, was Annette Funicello, back in the 1960s, who grew up to be a beach party film star. She respected Walt Disney's wishes that she would not go nude, even many years after leaving The Mickey Mouse Club. She died on April 8, 2013 at the age of 70, due to complications from multiple sclerosis, and the Disney Channel Original Movie Teen Beach Movie is dedicated in her memory.

omg! Celebrity gossip, news photos, babies, couples, hotties, and more - omg! from Yahoo

Now, going back to Miley Cyrus, the article above discusses how she saved her career from irrelevancy. After The Lizzie McGuire Show ended in 2004, for a time, she continued to make music, but in 2008, her most recent album, Dignity, sold only a fraction of what Metamorphosis sold, and her Best of Hilary Duff compilation flopped. Though she did have a Maxim magazine photo shoot and a racy movie role, she never really made the proper transition from Disney Girl to sexy woman, and ended up fading away. After Lizzie McGuire ended, Disney wanted more success, so they created Hannah Montana, and casted Miley Cyrus in the role of Miley Stewart, who is an ordinary girl by day, but by night, she becomes Hannah Montana, a pop star, and lives a double life while trying to hide her "secret identity," which is something that is typically associated with comic book superheroes (Disney acquired Marvel Comics in 2009, roughly around the same time as the release of Hannah Montana: The Movie). The Hannah Montana character is basically an affectionate overall parody of Hilary Duff, mixed with elements of classic Avril Lavigne and Britney Spears. She officially reveals her true identity to the world in the fourth and final season, ironically titled Hannah Montana Forever, and in the series finale, entitled "Wherever I Go," she decides to attend college with her best friend, Lilly Truscott, who is played by Emily Osment, who is the younger sister of Haley Joel Osment, whose best known movie is The Sixth Sense, in which he says "I see dead people." (We also know him as the voice of Sora in the Disney/Square Enix Kingdom Hearts video game series.) I was thinking that they might do a "10th anniversary special" in 2016, as Hannah Montana premiered in 2006, but with Miley Cyrus out of the question, I'm not sure if they will. The pilot episode of Hannah Montana, entitled "Lilly, Do You Want to Know a Secret?," premiered on March 24, 2006, with over 5 million viewers watching that pilot episode alone; the audience eventually doubled to over 10 million viewers during the series' prime.

Miley Cyrus vs. Hannah Montana: The stock charts

The article above compares the popularities of "Miley Cyrus" and "Hannah Montana" as if they were two separate beings, in stock charts. The first stock image shows the popularity of "Hannah Montana," which rose quickly beginning in 2007, peaking in 2009 (the year that Hannah Montana: The Movie was released), and then going downhill from there. The second stock charts shows the popularity of "Miley Cyrus," which was more volatile, having multiple peaks, which came whenever she created controversy, including her Vanity Fair naked photoshoot when she was just 15 in 2008, her pole dancing performance at the 2009 Teen Choice Awards, and the release of her last album with Hollywood Records, Can't be Tamed, in 2010 (which did not sell as well as her previous albums), the subsequent 2011 tour for that album, and, of course, her performance at the 2013 MTV VMAs. When combining the two stock charts together, it shows that in the battle of "Miley Cyrus vs Hannah Montana," the former, twerks and all, is the winner, and the latter is the loser. How sad, because whether the fame was good or bad, it didn't matter, and both good and bad fame helped Miley Cyrus overtake Hannah Montana's fame.

Now, Jiro, I noticed that you pointed this out:

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    How would you feel about a thirty year old Miley Cyrus trying to sing for the 13 year old age bracket? It would be weird, wouldn't it? She's ageing and growing and changing and her music and behaviour follows suit. Sure, some of it might be in bad taste, but what does it matter?
    Sure, it would feel a little weird, but still, just because you're not a little girl anymore doesn't mean that you should go to such extreme lengths to prove it. In effect, she's become the polar opposite of what she used to be. However, and most unfortunately, as feminist icon Gloria Steinem stated, child stars pretty much have to do that in order to stay relevant, or else they will fade away.
    Last edited by SuperMillionaire; 10-24-2013 at 05:48 PM.
    Is that your final answer?

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Blog Entries

Hilary Duff might be squeeky clean, but she also has no career. And outside of Lizzie McGuire, she sucks. Her music, the 2 or 3 movies she did after the show ended (especially that one she did w her sister - Material Girls) were terrible.

Selena is squeeky, but she has good music, and a clothing line. She's successful. Same with Demi.

I think we all know their life stories, though.

As far as the dancers, they knew what they were getting into when they signed on. They could've quit . That's their fault and they have no reason to crying about how degrading it was. They should be thankful to get the chance to dance on stage like that.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I don't know if I would say they should be grateful, but I'm sure there are other dancers who would've been. Again: if it goes against your morals and is something you don't agree with, yet you do it anyways to further your career, you're certainly in no position to feel sorry for yourself. You did what you did to get ahead.

SuperMillionaire--the thing you don't seem to be acknowledging is that it doesn't matter if Miley Cyrus' current actions 'smear' the Disney or Hannah Montana brand. She's no longer affiliated with or in contract with Disney, therefore any sort of behaviors she exhibits has nothing to do with Disney's image. If it does reflect negatively on them, it's stupid to blame her, as she's no longer an employee. If she was still contracted with them, then I could see why people we be upset on her behavior impacting children or the brand negatively.

And again: if you don't think she's a good role model, then you as the parent on responsible for the media your child consumes.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

What's your point in naming off the downward spirals of these women in a manner that seems like you're sexistly shaming them? This behavior isn't exclusive to washed-up female Disney actresses. What about all of the men who get involved in this sort of crap? And what about every other pop star and actor and athlete that gets involved in trout that goes against their careers?

The lives of celebrities are different from the normal populous in a single way: they are publicly broadcast. I am sure that members of your family, people you work with, friends and your neighbors have stories that would match and overreach stories of all of these women you listed off, and I don't see what's so spectacular about focusing on their negative experiences like this. I wouldn't exactly liven up issues like cutting and being diagnosed with bipolar disorder in line with Miley's VMA performance. And so what if someone did a "racy role" or a nude photoshoot? Are they chained to Disney forever because that's how they started out?

I find all of this sexist and offensive.