Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Story Question (Small Spoilers)

Default Story Question (Small Spoilers)

Hi. I was just reading a topic on another Final Fantasy IX board where two posters are currently debating whether or not Kuja actually succeeded in destroying the crystal before the party fights Necron. I found this pretty interesting so I decided to ask about it here to see what other people think about this. I am not really sure what to believe. I think that Necron’s dialogue on this is a little unclear, although Necron does say that Kuja sought to destroy the crystal, which seems to imply that he didn’t actually succeed in doing it. Thoughts?

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm gonna go with no. If he had, that would have been game over right then and there.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

I always had the impression that he destroyed it. How else did the party end up with Necron?

Articles
    Blog Entries

I thought Necron was a manifestation of Kuja's overwhelming will to end everything and that he came from the crystal interpreting Kuja's will as the will of humanity. Sort of like Amano-Sagiri.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypoallergenic Chie View Post
    I thought Necron was a manifestation of Kuja's overwhelming will to end everything and that he came from the crystal interpreting Kuja's will as the will of humanity. Sort of like Amano-Sagiri.
    Is anyone surprised by that Persona reference? No? Didn't think so.

But, yeah, I agree with you. The destruction of the Crystal has really, really huge ramifications. It would have been mentioned, and it would probably have ruined the chance for the endings/epilogues.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

You couldn't possibly be suggesting that I enjoy Persona could you? Whatever would give you that idea?

What if breaking the crystal summons Necron? :P

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gamblet View Post
    What if breaking the crystal summons Necron? :P
    Wouldn't the heroes die the moment the crystal was destroyed?

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Crystal = The entirety of existence.

No Crystal = no existence.

Therefore, Crystal.

Blog Entries

I always thought Necron was the spirit of the Iifa Tree or something. I never thought about how he might be connected to the Crystal itself. But either way,

Quote Originally Posted by Quint Eastwood View Post
    Crystal = The entirety of existence.

No Crystal = no existence.

Therefore, Crystal.
    This, basically. Also, since Necron's goal is to destroy the Crystal itself, logic dictates that Kuja failed.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Wiki
    When Zidane awakens on the Hill of Despair, he is greeted by Necron's voice emanating from rays of light above the hill. The entity announces that by observing Kuja's murderous actions it has come to the conclusion that all life exists merely to seek death. Necron resolves to destroy the Crystal, the origin of life, and thus revert everything to a "Zero World" of perpetual nothingness. It teleports the heroes to a coliseum-like structure and engages them in battle.
    Though Necron utilizes a plethora of destructive magic, it is ultimately defeated. Kuja uses the last of his powers to teleport Zidane and his friends back to the Iifa Tree, and as Necron dissipates, it is shocked to find the power of the will to live is so strong. Nevertheless, the being pledges that it will always exist, as long as there is life and death.
    In "Final Fantasy 20th Anniversary Ultimania - File 1: Character Book", Necron is described as, "a being awakened by Kuja's fear, despair, and hatred, which called out to it as he learned of his mortality, just as his ambitions were within reach".
    So it could have absolutely nothing to do with the Crystal or the Iifa Tree at all, and just be a random entity that already existed in the universe lying dormant.

Although, since the game itself is all references to previous games, and Necron bears many similarities to Cloud of Darkness, it could be the physical manifestation or an emissary of the Void itself (or whatever the equivalent of the Void is in the FFIX universe.)
    Last edited by Tigmafuzz; 09-19-2013 at 04:05 PM.

Y'know, after all this, I have to go for more of a "Nyx" reference than an "Amano-Sagiri", Hypoallergenic Chie.

Primal force of the universe that is listening to all life's feelings, eventually hears their cry for death, and thus decides to give them the death they seek.

It's not hostile, nor malevolent, it simply wants to grant the wish of all life, to grant life its end. To stop the cries of pain and anguish.

I have to say, though. ATLUS does a way better job of handling it than Square does.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Y'know, after all this, I have to go for more of a "Nyx" reference than an "Amano-Sagiri", Hypoallergenic Chie.

Primal force of the universe that is listening to all life's feelings, eventually hears their cry for death, and thus decides to give them the death they seek.

It's not hostile, nor malevolent, it simply wants to grant the wish of all life, to grant life its end. To stop the cries of pain and anguish.

I have to say, though. ATLUS does a way better job of handling it than Square does.
    See, I understand Nyx as an evil being, while Amano-Sagiri is truly trying to understand humans.
    I suppose I could be wrong about Nyx though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypoallergenic Chie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post

See, I understand Nyx as an evil being, while Amano-Sagiri is truly trying to understand humans.
    I suppose I could be wrong about Nyx though.
    Nope. Play "The Answer" from FES.

Nyx isn't evil. Nyx is just Death. Nyx hears humanity's cries and pain, and relieves them in literally the only way she can: By ending human life. It's more of a mercy killing thing than anything else.

Erebus, which is the personification of humanity's collected despair, is really the true villain of Persona 3. It's the part of humanity that wants to die. It calls out for Nyx, and, if Nyx hears it, she will grant its desire.

This is how the Protagonist of P3 wins. He doesn't defeat Nyx. That's impossible, Nyx is a primal force of the universe, and will continue to exist as long as life exists. Similarly, you can't actually kill Erebus without killing humanity, since Erebus is a part of humanity. The Protagonist just seals Nyx away, making it so that Erebus can never reach her.

I just finished the game recently, and I got the impression that Kuja did in fact destroy the crystal, and all life was in the process of ending before Zidane challenges Necron. The moans that you hear in the background are all the suffering souls crying out in pain, yearning for death to end it. Zidane's will to live and the party's will to save Gaia is the only thing that stops this from happening. In other words, the final battle takes place in a tiny window of time where there is still time to stop the nothingness that Necron talks about wanting to bring.

This is all probably only happening in the Crystal World though, and things in Gaia are probably continuing as they normally do meanwhile.

I also got the impression that those you don't choose to be in your party basically die, but their souls merge with your party members in order to help with the final battle (or maybe it takes the strength of two of them just to reanimate one's body).
    Last edited by SirPrizes; 10-13-2013 at 09:31 PM.
    http://home.eyesonff.com/user/signature/sigpic39432_1.gif

Quote Originally Posted by SirPrizes View Post
    I just finished the game recently, and I got the impression that Kuja did in fact destroy the crystal, and all life was in the process of ending before Zidane challenges Necron. The moans that you hear in the background are all the suffering souls crying out in pain, yearning for death to end it. Zidane's will to live and the party's will to save Gaia is the only thing that stops this from happening. In other words, the final battle takes place in a tiny window of time where there is still time to stop the nothingness that Necron talks about wanting to bring.

This is all probably only happening in the Crystal World though, and things in Gaia are probably continuing as they normally do meanwhile.

I also got the impression that those you don't choose to be in your party basically die, but their souls merge with your party members in order to help with the final battle (or maybe it takes the strength of two of them just to reanimate one's body).
    Exactly.