Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Paleo Diet!

Blog Entries

What Vivs said entirely.

This is gonna kinda lengthy, so... yeah.

I just decided to stop eating junk food and I almost never want it anymore... And by junk I mean candy and sweet stuff... Except for my mom's fudge. I only get to have a batch like 1x a year. And it's pretty healthy as far as sweets go.. She doesn't use marshmallow cream -or- extra sugar, so the only sugar is what's in the chocolate. She adapted it for my dad after he was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and everyone that has some absolutely dies over it.

I actually already prefer eating healthy in general. I like pasta, but I always snack around on stuff I'm cooking while I'm cooking it, so I'm never hungry by the time I'm done. And when I -do- fix a bowl of it, I'll use more of the sauce/topping and way less noodles to try and balance it out. I'm perfectly happy with a salad of baby spinach and a bunch of veggies mixed in and lime juice for the dressing instead of -actual- dressing.

The big issue that I have now is my boyfriend. He's got major issues with losing weight. As in. He can eat 5 lbs of food in one sitting and still lose 10 lbs in one day. Someone mentioned that it's genetics 'cuz he's Filipino and grew up in the Philippines and Filipinos tend to stay skinny, but his grandfather was Spanish and his parents are both chunks along with his older brother. So I -have- to cook a lot of carb-heavy food for him and it's hard to budget in healthier stuff for me 'cuz of our weekly grocery budget. Sure, I can buy veggies and stuff, but it usually has to wind up in whatever I make for him. So what I buy has to be in-season to keep food costs down and with winter coming up... yeah...

Anywhooooo!

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Oh no i mean I want my bread and pasta Hellas bad. But i don't find it to be too hard of a change. Veggies and lean meats aren't too expensive (i get grass fed beef from my parents. That whole ranch thing) its just more difficult to find something to supplement the lack if pastas and breads in a meal. Otherwise its not super drastic. Snack on fruit instead of chips. Nuts instead of m&ms etc etc

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Grass fed beef from your parents? Marry me?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Moooooo

I get deer and elk meat too cause my dad hunts a lot

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

That's awesome!

But seriously, marry me.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

You'll have to fight the boyfriend! He's a welder so he can hit hard*. It'd be a good fight though I'd think

Source: he works in the oilfield industry.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

My friend just opened up a paleo bakery and her paleo treats are actually super tasty.

But I think paleo is a bit too restrictive. Butter and cheese aren't bad for you in moderation. The ideal diet is pretty simple. Healthy fats, some protein, lots of veggies, some fruit. And toss in the occasional grains, starches and sugars because yummy things are yummy and you shouldn't deprive yourself completely.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I could take him Freya.

And I know a lot of people use flower made from almonds and stuff as a substitute for grains. Not really my thing, but an option none the less.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

overstuffed-burgers41-610x300.jpg
    I guess this diet makes me actually cook, which I am usually too lazy to do. I enjoy cooking. I also enjoy being lazy. But I made overstuffed burgers (onions and tomatoes inside a burger :3) and a side of green beans and omg is it delicious!

I just googled paleo recipes. If anyone has any good recipes kind of along this diet that'd be great. I'm not following it strictly but I do like the cutting out grains and pastas. I know eating too much of those is bad for you. So any recipes (cheap ones, i'm poor) would be awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    things like grains are objectively bad for long term health
    Let's see the research that backs up that assertion.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

You could start by reading the book Wheat Belly if you want some really good coverage of the topic. It's well argued, well sourced to literally hundreds of studies and a pretty damn enjoyable read to be honest.

Blog Entries

I'm not sure if this would be Paleo Friendly or not.. I assume it is for the most part minus the Clamato (shut up haters), so you could just... Not use that bit and leave off the tostadas.. But try my Mexican Shrimp Cocktail? It's up there in the cookbook thread and it isn't all that expensive to make.. The shrimp & avocado would be the 2 most expensive stuffs to get (idk if avocados are in season... I don't think they are so they'll be over $1 a pop)... It's yummy though.

And if you like like... Lasagna, you could still make it, just use eggplant instead of lasagna noodles and make your own tomato/meat sauce.. Or take it a step further and make it completely vegetarian. I've done this for my ex & current bf 'cuz all they eat is meat and almost zero veggies and it drives me insane. lol

I also just found this!

http://ultimatepaleoguide.com/paleo-diet-recipes/

Strict paleo is basically the idea of eating the sorts of foods we would have had access to 10,000 years ago or so before the advent of agriculture. So basically low carb, no grains or sugars, no dairy, no processed foods, etc. Eat meat, vegetables, nuts and seeds.

I don't think strict paleo is particularly necessary unless you simply can't have dairy or something, but I do always recommend it as a starting point because diet recommendations for weight loss and good health don't get much easier than eat meat, vegetables, nuts and seeds. It's really impossible to go wrong by following that information. But as long as you're eating low carb in general, I don't have a problem with things like milk, cheeses, some fruit, etc. Just keep the really bad stuff to a once in a while thing and try to stay below 100g of carbs a day and straying from paleo isn't really a problem unless you have health issues with a specific food.

Yeah, it's supposed to be an anti-inflammation diet to control insulin levels.

But aren't you supposed to soak nuts and cut out seeds because of the anti-nutrients?

Also grains and legumes have the anti-nutrients in them, they can be mostly neutralized by cooking legumes and soaking wheat (if you eat bread it's better to make your own anyways, you can substitute in honey, etc instead of cane sugar and no preservatives)

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    overstuffed-burgers41-610x300.jpg
    I guess this diet makes me actually cook, which I am usually too lazy to do. I enjoy cooking. I also enjoy being lazy. But I made overstuffed burgers (onions and tomatoes inside a burger :3) and a side of green beans and omg is it delicious!

I just googled paleo recipes. If anyone has any good recipes kind of along this diet that'd be great. I'm not following it strictly but I do like the cutting out grains and pastas. I know eating too much of those is bad for you. So any recipes (cheap ones, i'm poor) would be awesome!

I usually just buy a large pack of ground beef or whatever meat's on sale, cook it up with veggies and put it over some spinach. Simple, easy, saves money. Or just make a stew, it can last a few days. And if you have a bit of honey every once in a while almonds + manuka honey is a tasty snack.

Be careful if you buy some spices too, some contain wheat warnings (fresh garlic is much more satisfying anyways )

Grass fed beef from your parents? Marry me?

I can't even find it in grocery stores......everything is "grain fed" ~.~
    Last edited by Flaming Ice; 09-21-2013 at 08:01 PM.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    My friend just opened up a paleo bakery and her paleo treats are actually super tasty.

But I think paleo is a bit too restrictive. Butter and cheese aren't bad for you in moderation. The ideal diet is pretty simple. Healthy fats, some protein, lots of veggies, some fruit. And toss in the occasional grains, starches and sugars because yummy things are yummy and you shouldn't deprive yourself completely.
    Yes, this. My mom and my sister both center around a paleo diet and they treat grains as a vampire would a crucifix. You couldn't get me to cut pasta out of my life for anything.