Thread: Lightning Returns: FINAL FANTASY XIII Opening Cinematic and first 30 minutes

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Default Lightning Returns: FINAL FANTASY XIII Opening Cinematic and first 30 minutes

Square Enix have recently released the full opening cinematic for Lightning Returns: FINAL FANTASY XIII. In it we see Lightning battling Snow and Lumina is differently fulfilling her role of being a quirky antagonist. However, that's not all! Square Enix have also released a series of three videos showing the start of the game. Check them all out after the break.

Opening Cinematic

First 30 minutes of Gameplay (Japanese)

As Lightning is the only character you play in this game the Paradigm system has been replaced with the Schema system. Schemas are effectively managed via the costumes themselves. At the start of the game you have two Schemas available. According to NovaCrystallis the ability set of those Schemas looks something like:

Divinity
    Triangle: Thunder
    Circle: Attack
    Square: Block
    X: Galestrike

Dark Muse
    Triangle: Electric Blitz
    Circle: Heavy Slash
    Square: Lesser Guard
    X: Light Slash

The tiered ATB system works similar to both XIII and XIII-2 with more powerful attacks requiring more of the ATB guage to use than simpler attacks. So, in short, the Battle System seems to follow the same sort of structure as XIII and XIII-2.

What do you think of the cinematic? Did you find anything interesting in the gameplay footage?

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

It confused me. But I still liked it.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Blog Entries

I find it fascinating that you can get to change outfits during battles, and for the style changes, it reminds me much of Persona and Blazblue when you customize color schemes to suit your liking, making the possibilities endless.
    In other words, regardless of not understanding Japanese, I enjoyed the preview and the cinema movie.
    And I want to get this out of my chest... Lumina reminds me much of Serah and she has to be her, the physical resemblance of both are too much for me! XD

FFXIV Character

Omni Odin (Sargatanas)

I'll go with Sera/Yuel combined. I don't know, but from the first time I ever saw Lumina, it was the first thought that came to mind.

Blog Entries

The gameplay vids would be sooooo much better if the players would've just STFU.