Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Make the Gil Spammers STOP!

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by LocoColt04 View Post
    No no, Mirage meant that you can just pick Blacklist from the menu and type in their name, rather than hunting them down and selecting them from a crowd.
    Ohh. Right, that drop menu.

I really haven't needed to blacklist anyone. The accounts will be deleted/banned and remade instantly. For those with legit names, they're undoubtedly stolen or made from a Chinese bot farm.

Though I sympathize with being annoyed with spammers, it's a fruitless feeling endeavor. I have long since learned to mentally block the spamming. Be annoyed as much as you want. It will never stop, barring some insanely draconian efforts by SE, or a whitelist; but then, you'd have the same problem but in reverse.

For a game that won't let you invite people into dungeons unless they are already in the same zone as you or on your friends list (same-realm only!), or a God-hand-Duty-Finder-level-coordination attempt, a whitelist would be even more intolerable in practice.

Alternatively, put the chat in "combat log" only, because a game involving people should be played trying to avoid said people. yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I actually like to read valid shouts, so 'mentally blocking' isn't going to help. Valid shouts have earned me a fair amount of gil.

Dunno about what it's like on your server (if you're playing) but it's spammed every second on Sargatanas.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I stopped playing because the server transfers weren't made available before the end of the first month's sub.

It seems to be bad on every server, though I expect it to be much worse on the legacy servers. Ultros originally. I planned on going to Leviathan to play with my guildmates, but decisions are 3 hard 5 me.

Main cities have permanently scrolling chat boxes; Mor Dhona and Coerthas, as well. You might find some quiet time in the non-frequented areas, like East/South Thanalan or Northern Shroud. Western La Noscea (wineport/Costa) isn't filled with gold spammers, but it's filled people who are Fate grinding.

Admittedly, I think SE has done a good job in handling potential RMT issues, both in execution (banwaves with a case-by-case analysis) and in gameplay design (gil is almost useless as currency; i.e., compare to Diablo III, only a very small incentive to buy gil). Unfortunately, as is the point of this thread, the UI does not make anyone's life easier in dealing with RMT. Though I agree and sympathize with the assertion of the thread, I should not be your source for empathy.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

They don't actually simply re-make the accounts if you Blacklist them, the same spammers will be there for days, if not weeks until Square Enix actually bans them or gets the owner back on the account. At this point they will dig out another account they have access too. They (the RMTs) don't have anyway of knowing if people have blacklisted them. 99% of the accounts will be compromised ones. RMTs aren't exactly in the business of giving other people real money.

You can actually enjoy relative peace for quite some time, outside of the odd tell, if you blacklist the ones in cities and eventually it gets to the point where it's just 2 names a week or so you'll be adding (unless you add the /tell ones too).

These guys need a job too. Quit being cruel and trying to get them fired. How would you feel if someone got you fired, because the got annoyed of hearing you advertise? Have to put food on the table some how. I'd actually love to do this type of thing for a living...if it was legal, lol.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

It is legal. It is however against the terms of service, and therefore it is perfectly fine to be upset over it.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

I remember doing this in early day EQ when coin would increase weight, and being encumbered would make you walk incredibly slow. Everyone that did it tried to keep it a big secret, but it would be so obvious when sometimes a toon would be flying through and suddenly stop to make a trade with another toon in the bazaar, and then suddenly they would be so encumbered they could barely move as they slowly trotted all the way to the banker. It's funny looking back, because making money in mmos has really never been all that hard, where spending RL cash to make ends meat should ever have to be an option with the possibility of getting banned..
    Last edited by Elskidor; 09-30-2013 at 09:21 AM.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

You may see being banned as an issue. These people don't. Why play through the beginning of the game, where I don't ever feel strong, when I can just pay someone to give effective access to end-game content? Whether or not they have a real time constraint or they are spoiled, microwave-generation brats who pay using mommy's credit card, no matter the outcome, they win in their minds.

Banned versus uninstalling; there isn't a difference, it just means one less player and one less subscription.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Spykus Hallideus (Cerberus)

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Yeah, there's no way in hell I'm going to teleport away from what I'm doing (so I have to run back afterwards) at a cost of my own gil just to try to hunt down a gil spammer.
    That's why they exist, not to sell but to make you waste gil just to silence them but where one falls a hundred may rise to take their place!
    Its almost depressing... So I turned off /yell and /shout

LET THE HAMMER FALL

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Uh... what? You do know that it's fully possible to silence them without finding the characters, right? It's even faster.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?