Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Make the Gil Spammers STOP!

Default Make the Gil Spammers STOP!

Ok, so I just started playing (don't blame me, I didn't mean to break half my bones right after the game was released), and, unfortunately, therefore missed the opportunity to make a character on with the EoFFers.

Perhaps it's a side effect of being on a server that is still allowing new characters to be made. But as soon as I completed the tutorial, I found that the gil spammers WILL. NOT. STOP.

The chat bubble is completely filled with gil sale websites, and new ones are popping up every few seconds.

How do I get these jerks to shut up, and why is there no option to report them?

The majority of them seem to be coming as shouts (though I don't know if there are chat channels), so is there a way to block those?
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I think we have to wait for the blacklist function to actually be implemented. I'm getting smurfing tells from gil spammers and it made the game unplayable on my laptop. Now, at least, I have progressed away from the common areas where gil spammers lurk.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

Simply blacklist them for now, Square Enix is working on a way to deal with them.

The Old Skool Warrior LocoColt04's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Crysanthe Mariveaux (Ultros)

You can remove shouts via chat filters, but sometimes you want to see them. I recommend creating a new chat tab for use when you're in town and only turning on important things, like /say /party /linkshell /freecompany and anything else you see fit.

Furthermore, you can report gil spammers through the Help Desk report options, by choosing "cheating" as the reason for the report.

And yes, in the meantime, beef up that blacklist.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Blacklist can be found under Social Lists and it's a vital thing whenever you head into a new city area, sadly. A disappointing side effect of the game being successful. I have about 30 of them on my blacklist at the moment.

As for chat window suggestions - I have one 'Chatter' window which includes all forms of chat and emotes at the top left of my screen, and have filtered out shout and yell from my 'general' chat tab which sits at the bottom left. Makes life easier.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

The tell one is easy to solve, you can just make a macro and add it your action bars:

Code:
    /blist add < r >
    This will blacklist the sender of the most recent tell you've received. Remove the spaces after and before the angled brackets.

i n v i s i b l e Tech Admin o_O's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Humphrey Squibbles (Sargatanas)

You can also target the spammer and type "/blist add" to add them to your blacklist. "/blst" simply opens up your blacklist.

I use the method that Aul posted, but unfortunately it only works for /tells. For the /shouts, I just blacklist them manually. I currently have around 100 spammers on my blacklist. :/

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Target the spammer? I dunno, I'm getting all my messages from people I can't even see.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

If they're sending you purple tells, then you can macro the auto-blacklist to replies. If they're doing the /sh so that a whole zone hears it, they're probably standing by a aetheryte, so just walk up to them, click them, and block them.

Blizzard Square Enix recently did a temp-ban wave for anyone over a few million gil on non-legacy accounts. Supposedly, they're going through each account one-by-one to see if they aren't RMTing.

I'll sell you 500k for 5.99!

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Tavrobel View Post
    If they're sending you purple tells, then you can macro the auto-blacklist to replies. If they're doing the /sh so that a whole zone hears it, they're probably standing by a aetheryte, so just walk up to them, click them, and block them.

Blizzard Square Enix recently did a temp-ban wave for anyone over a few million gil on non-legacy accounts. Supposedly, they're going through each account one-by-one to see if they aren't RMTing.
    Walking to an aetheryte sounds a lot slower than just typing their names in manually
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

Make a chat tab that displays only FC+LS+Party+whatever else is relevant, and never click away from that tab while you're in a city. That's what I do. Map chat is a lost cause until SE fixes it.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Walking to an aetheryte sounds a lot slower than just typing their names in manually
    ... teleport?

The Old Skool Warrior LocoColt04's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Crysanthe Mariveaux (Ultros)

Quote Originally Posted by Tavrobel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    ... teleport?
    No no, Mirage meant that you can just pick Blacklist from the menu and type in their name, rather than hunting them down and selecting them from a crowd.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Yeah, there's no way in hell I'm going to teleport away from what I'm doing (so I have to run back afterwards) at a cost of my own gil just to try to hunt down a gil spammer.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!