Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

My theory is that Coulson is a failed re-try of the experiment that created Captain America. He likes Lola because it was a car he would have driven as a young man. He has mint condition Captain America trading cards because he was a kid when Captain America.

Also, Vivi, it's Coulson's idea to play dead so the Avengers have something... uh... to uh... to avenge.

I cringed at a few things, but I think given the chance this show will find its feet.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by fire_of_avalon View Post
    Also, Vivi, it's Coulson's idea to play dead so the Avengers have something... uh... to uh... to avenge.
    (SPOILER)True that that's what he said in the movie, and probably part of the reason he was convinced that's what actually happened, but Maria Hill at one point in the episode basically outright states that that's a load of BS and Coulson doesn't actually know that that's not what happened. My point being, they strongly suggest that his return isn't as simple as them faking his death and that something else entirely is going on. Something Coulson doesn't know a thing about.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Saw it, decent enough opening. Will continue to watch and see how it develops. I don't know if I am a fan of The SHIELD Gang though. All a bit cliched as far as they went.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm going to watch it if only to find out why they decided to pull this troutty move with Coulson.

Articles

He beat Death at Battleships.

That's non-non-non heinous.

Articles

I would say it was more most triumphant.

I enjoyed it. Quite high production for a sci-fi show these days, and seemingly enjoyable. I'll be interested to see where this show goes.

Will there be any appearances of Nick Fury or any of the Avengers?

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Don't know about the Avengers, but you'll have your answer about Nick Fury in the second episode.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I thought the 2nd episode was terribly bad. Like, awful.

Generic plot, generic action scenes, generic rebel group, generic betrayal by hot lady, generic bickering and coming together as a team at the last minute. Blah.

Only good parts were Melinda May who is badass and Nick Fury cameo!! I had no idea that was coming so it was a neat surprise.

Will continue to watch because I keep telling myself that Buffy needed a full season to find itself. C'mon SHIELD, you can do it!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah May is the best character by far. Fitz Simmons is ok. This episode was boring up until the very last scene. They can't always have Fury saving it though.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Haven't seen it up for download (yay for Australia being a week behind, and claiming it is "fast tracked" from the US). But that is disappointing if it's really as bad as you say it is.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Ep 2 - ehhhh

I've seen the first two episodes, and I was pleasantly surprised by their quality; Whedon doesn't disappoint. Sure, the show has some flaws at the moment, but it's good-hearted fun, maybe a bit cliched and cheesy at times, but that's not necessarily a bad thing if done properly. I like the sense of adventure in this which is sorely missing in many so-called adventure shows lately. Characters are given time to develop (some good banter here and there and genuine character moments), there's a good enough budget here to give things a cinematic feel.

I like how the story weaves many of the films together and we have nods to events from past movies. I wonder how far this goes intertextually, and with the nice cameo at the end of episode 2 I wonder if we'll see more high profile cameos in the future. The storyline as a whole has potential, and I hope the team keeps building on top of what is already working.

I actually found the cast okay. Clark Gregg obviously steals the show, and I like how the show has casting which nods at Disney stuff (Ming Na from Mulan) but also from Whedon's own works (J. August Richards of Angel fame in the first episode as the black guy with powers; it took me a moment to realize it was none other than older "Gunn" I was watching, and that made me happy). I've heard criticisms about the acting of Chloe Bennett (Skye), but I think she's doing an okay job and does bring enthusiasm to the cast (considering what a big fan of Whedon and Marvelverse she is). I guess time will tell how well the cast begins working together, but I have high hopes they do as there's already a lot of great banter and chemistry in the air.

One thing I have to mention is that the show has an orchestral score for every episode (so far, anyway). That's amazing and something I wasn't expecting Disney et al to allow for this project because of how much that kind of endeavour costs! However, Bear McCreary has created a truly fun and memorable soundscape for the show so far, and I hope he keeps up the forward momentum to craft a great heroic score to accompany the agents' adventures. The main theme, albeit somewhat generic (as heard e.g. here), works quite well when you want to up the ante during heroic moments, and I like the reflective versions of it played during introspective moments. I hope we'll get more thematic development over time, and I'm sure McCreary will deliver based on the good stuff I've heard about the reimagined Battlestar Galactica series score.

I'll be tuning in to see each episode, and I hope I'll be as entertained in the future as I was during these past two episodes. In a way this kind of storytelling is like a jump back to the 90s era series, and that's fine by me because it works quite well in this setting. And as stated before, I like to chew the cheese, so bring it on.
    How I met your mother, Donald Duck's parents style! Love at first temper tantrum!

Facebook | Last.fm | LiveJournal | MyAnimeList | tGAWiki

Is it just me, or can no one find the second episode on torrent sites?