Page 1 of 12 123456711 ... LastLast

Thread: Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Default Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I just watched the pilot episode on Tuesday night, and it was great! And I've heard that this was ABC's best drama since 2009, and it trounced the competition.

The series is set in the same Marvel Cinematic Universe as the 2012 Avengers movie, and Clark Gregg reprises his role as Agent Phil Coulson in the series. It turns out that Nick Fury ordered him to fake his own death in order to motivate the Avengers to take down Loki and his Army. Like the film, this series is also being produced by Joss Whedon.
    Is that your final answer?

To be fair, it would have trounced the competition even if it was terrible, because people love the Marvel universe and Joss Whedon and give them both the benefit of the doubt.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMillionaire View Post
    Clark Gregg reprises his role as Agent Phil Coulson in the series. It turns out that Nick Fury ordered him to fake his own death in order to motivate the Avengers to take down Loki and his Army.
    I have not watched it, but this entire kind of plot thread makes me

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperMillionaire View Post
    Clark Gregg reprises his role as Agent Phil Coulson in the series. It turns out that Nick Fury ordered him to fake his own death in order to motivate the Avengers to take down Loki and his Army.
    I have not watched it, but this entire kind of plot thread makes me
    (SPOILER)It's quite clearly hinted in the episode that that is not what actually happened but Coulson doesn't know what actually happened.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Ah cool. I'll need to give it a watch at some point. I was gonna do so anyway, regardless of the state of the plot.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, I just didn't want you to go in thinking that something that silly might actually be true.

I'm a little iffy on the show. Mainly because, at this point, I'm finding it hard to link in to the Marvel universe. There's a difference between costumed superheroes and suit-wearing agents. The show just doesn't give off quite the same vibe at this point (to me at least).

I wound up taking this show a little more seriously than I should, and that hurt it, because the sort of plot they seem to be going for really aggravates me if it's supposed to be in a realistic world. I have to keep telling myself that it's the Marvel world and that I should just accept the things, which isn't something I ever had to do in the movies.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

So far this show felt more like Smallville or Arrow than Marvel's Agents of SHIELD. I love both those shows but if this is going to be an Avengers tie-in then power-inducing centipede bracelets isn't going to do the trick. You don't need to have a Marvel hero flying in every week, but I expected something with a little more impact. The cast also feels disjointed and not cohesive like Whedon's past works, but it may just take time. Dollhouse and Buffy didn't really flow at first either but I came to love the supporting cast of both eventually.

However, I loved all the quick wit and that the show didn't take itself too seriously most of the time. I also really enjoyed the purposefully overly-campy moments like the very end of the episode.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's not SHIELD without flying cars.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It was ok. I think the saving grace was how funny it was.

But other than that, it felt very much like a CW or Fox show. Very campy, a little typical, not too new or exciting. And the cast seemed mostly made up of cliches.

That being said, I have hopes for the show and it might grow into itself. Afterall, Buffy was pretty terrible the first season and look how nicely that one turned out. Dollhouse too got so much better as it went on.

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Dancing Chocobo

I thought it was alright. I watched it today while I was at home sick, and it was pretty much the sort of thing I would want to watch while I was sick and didn't want to have to concentrate on anything.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    It was ok. I think the saving grace was how funny it was.

But other than that, it felt very much like a CW or Fox show. Very campy, a little typical, not too new or exciting. And the cast seemed mostly made up of cliches.

That being said, I have hopes for the show and it might grow into itself. Afterall, Buffy was pretty terrible the first season and look how nicely that one turned out. Dollhouse too got so much better as it went on.
    Speaking of a cast made up of cliches, that was pretty much Buffy, especially when it started. But I suppose when your thing is character development like it is with Whedon, where you start isn't always as important as where you end up.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I've been tossing up whether or not to watch this. Watching the various superhero films and believing that the other heroes wouldn't show up to lend a hand is one thing, but having the entire Avengers team absent means that whatever drama SHIELD has to face is not nearly as impressive. I don't know. Maybe I'll give it a looksee, it could be a good series if you handwave the Avengers.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I feel that when he does new things, Whedon typically just tried to tick boxes so as to not cause too much trouble. It's when everybody starts loving the show that he starts to... well, Whedonify it.

Coulson is a bit too Whedoney now, but aside from that it was good enough. The funny parts were funny and there was some good violence right in the beginning that I wasn't expecting.

I didn't like when it looked like it was gonna be CSI in the Marvelverse (forgive me if that's what it's gonna be), but eh I guess I could live with that.

I'll have to rewatch but I think there were some ham-handed exposition scenes too which I didn't expect.