Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
So I just picked up a copy this morning and I have plenty of stupid questions! I'm mainly wondering about character creation atm. If I want to play with you all am I free to choose any race? Are any classes race specific or limited to certain races? How many classes can one character have? I'm sure ill think of more while at work waiting to get home and play!
It only matters if you are min-maxing a single role and a single class, and will never, ever switch away. If you choose incorrectly, your character will be ruined for level 1 questing*. Also extremely important for role-playing purposes.

Outstanding bonuses are:
Dunesfolk Lalafell, Piety 23, highest base MP at level 1
Moon Miqote, Mind 23, highest base healing at level 1
Sea Rogaedyn, Vitality 23, highest base HP at level 1
Highlander Hyur, Strength 23, highest base melee damage at level 1
Wild Elezen, Dexterity 23, highest base ranged damage at level 1
Dusk Elezen, Intelligence 23, highest base magic damage at level 1

*Bonuses are eclipsed by gear that you obtain and can wear before you actually reach level 2 from quests that are immediately available in your starting town. Damage bonuses from a single point of strength, dexterity, or intelligence contribute about 1% of your total damage (check the character sheet if you don't believe me).

Your god or goddess also determines which elemental attacks you resist or take extra damage from*.

*Every element is encountered at least once in each zone you travel in. Every additional point or lost point in a resistance will increase or decrease damage taken by approximately 1%. Mobs regularly do less than 10 damage. Also, the game rounds to integers.

No class restriction based on race. Some races favor certain classes (if you consider an extra 0 damage at level 1 to be an advantage).

A single character can be maxed in every class. Includes combat and crafting/gathering classes. Any class that is not currently your highest level will receive a 50% bonus experience. Effectively, that means the moment you reach level 50 in one class, you don't stop receiving this experience bonus.