Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Default Gargoyles

Who has watched this show? If you haven't, watch it. This is a another great product of the 1990s 'golden age' of animation (along with Batman TAS, X-Men, Spider-Man, Animaniacs, Duck Tales, etc.). It's a wonderful show with a rich and detailed mythology of its own. I love how bits and pieces of the past come out slowly and there's many 'ah ha!' moments throughout the series once you realize why something exists or happens in the present time. It's an animated show but has very adult themes and can be enjoyed by all ages.

Unfortunately, the whole series isn't on DVD or Netflix, but you can torrent it if you look around.

I could watch this show all day. And I just might.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

This show is literally one of the best TV series ever made, and while I agree that it's part of that animated 90's golden age, I have to sat it's quite a bit better than X-Men or Spider-Man were.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I have a soft spot for Spider-Man but yes I definitely agree. The production value and writing of this 'kids' show is astoundingly good.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've got a soft spot for Spider-Man as well (except the last season) and X-Men. Particularly X-Men's ability to distill decades of stories into that show, but you're right about Gargoyle's writing. It's definitely up there with shows like Batman TAS in that you don't have to be a child to enjoy it, but with its long running story arcs and sometimes fairly serious story lines it holds up extremely well as an adult in much the same way shows like Animaniacs had a lot to appeal to adults as well.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I used to love this show and watch it all the time as a kid. But that was about 17-18 years ago, so I can't really remember much of it, other than it being awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

All the 90 shows I've attempted to watch have been on YouTube. And, yes, that includes Gargoyles.

It was my favorite show as a kid. I haven't ever gone back and watched and of it. I probably should, thanks for the suggestion.

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

I use to be addicted to everything gargoyles. I had multiple Goliath action figures (my favorite was the one whose wings expanded with the flick of a switch). I had a few of the other characters but not the whole set. I don't think I ever found Hudson.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    I used to love this show and watch it all the time as a kid. But that was about 17-18 years ago, so I can't really remember much of it, other than it being awesome.
    This. It's notable as being a 'cartoon' that my dad used to love watching too, so I imagine that it had a lot of value to a more mature audience as well. I should try to watch a few episodes again, though, if it's as good as it sounds. I'm disappointed it didn't seem to enter pop culture history as much as other things I watched at the time.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh man, Gargoyles is great. And completely agreed about the golden age of animation! I downloaded the entire thing of Batman TAS a while ago and was thinking about doing the same with Spider-man, but if it is on youtube then hell yeah I will watch it there.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Getting a serious urge to rewatch this and other old 90's cartoons now. Luckily I rewatched Spider-Man and X-Men already quite recently. Maybe I'll rewatch the also excellent Beast Wars along with Gargoyles.

Sure will

Also to a lesser extent, Pirates of Darkwater, Conan The Adventurer, Exosquad

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hijacking shoutout to Mighty Max which belongs in with these 90's animated shows.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by CimminyCricket View Post
    I use to be addicted to everything gargoyles. I had multiple Goliath action figures (my favorite was the one whose wings expanded with the flick of a switch). I had a few of the other characters but not the whole set. I don't think I ever found Hudson.

I'm pretty sure I have that Goliath figure, or at least one very similar in concept. Such a good show.

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Grin

Where are you up to? I might start watching this today, I'm acquiring it now. You should wait up if you're not miles ahead already. I'm looking forward to all of the Puck stuff, and anticipate being sad about Hudson's blind friend and pretty stoked about The Pack.

"Should we take them to a vet, a doctor or a mechanic? Hurr hurr!"

It's a highlight of my job when I'm at work and a kid gets out Animaniacs/Ducktales/Gargoyles/Batman. Don't forget Batman of the Future, Freakazoid or Tiny Toons though, kids! Blow it all up!

Remember when we had ~matching gargoyles livejournal avatars~?

Okay, this thread is threatening to make me late so I'm gonna go grab coffee before I do my volunteer work!