Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Gravity

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

I was thinking about taking her to a surprise movie to see it since she would never agree to go to a movie that I've picked. (I have a bad, bad track record).

:monster:

So yeah, this is easily and by far the best experience I have ever had in a theatre. It's also the best space film I've seen since 2001, and probably the best film of any genre I've seen since Pan's Labyrinth. I can't even begin to express how immersive it is seeing this in IMAX 3D. I suspect the technical team must have invented some new techniques for filming this because I've never seen anything like it before. The first thirty minutes of the film has only one cut; the remainder of the storytelling is accomplished with continuous camera panning, and these aren't the only long shots in the film. The film is consistently beautiful and stunningly shot, and the cinematographer deserves an Oscar. I could go on.

Really, go see it. Perfect film.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Wow. I saw it today with my grandparents. Thought it was just going to be a really pretty movie, so watching it sounded like a fun idea but I wasn't really excited about it. It was amazing.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    So yeah, this is easily and by far the best experience I have ever had in a theatre. It's also the best space film I've seen since 2001, and probably the best film of any genre I've seen since Pan's Labyrinth. I can't even begin to express how immersive it is seeing this in IMAX 3D. I suspect the technical team must have invented some new techniques for filming this because I've never seen anything like it before. The first thirty minutes of the film has only one cut; the remainder of the storytelling is accomplished with continuous camera panning, and these aren't the only long shots in the film. The film is consistently beautiful and stunningly shot, and the cinematographer deserves an Oscar. I could go on.

Really, go see it. Perfect film.
    The cinematography was utterly epic, but I must say that I loved the sound design as well. I think a lot of things being absolutely silent made things more tense, probably because it really helped sell the illusion of being in space. And the only things you could hear were things that would be transmitting vibration into the space suit and stuff. Just absolutely well done.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I want to see this so bad that I can I even ignore the fact that George Clooney is in it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Question: Is this the kind of movie that requires the big screen? I'm talking Avatar, Star Trek, Star Wars, Jurassic Park. You know, a visual blockbuster spectacular that has to be seen 'big'. Compare that to, say, District 13 or Close Encounters which are much more drama focused than visual blockbusters. I'm getting the feeling this is more a drama that will focus on the individuals as opposed to incredible things being thrown at your eyes every other minute. Just wanting to know for sure - unfortunately it's not out in the UK for another month or so, but would be good to have advice on whether I should cough up the £30 to see this or save it for something else and watch this on the small screen like I do 99% of my films (these days, rather ironically, I find the quality is often better on the small screen anyway).
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

This an emotionally-charged character study so there definitely a lot to like from a pure acting and writing perspective. I'd say that the cinematography would likely be appreciated on the small screen as well. However, the big screen is my suggestion if you're looking for the spectacle it provides.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Question: Is this the kind of movie that requires the big screen? I'm talking Avatar, Star Trek, Star Wars, Jurassic Park. You know, a visual blockbuster spectacular that has to be seen 'big'. Compare that to, say, District 13 or Close Encounters which are much more drama focused than visual blockbusters. I'm getting the feeling this is more a drama that will focus on the individuals as opposed to incredible things being thrown at your eyes every other minute.
    I can safely say that it is both, and while I'm sure the experience will still be amazing watching it at home on a nice HDTV, perhaps with home surround sound thrown in, it just will not be the same as seeing it on the big screen. This is a movie that really, really benefits from being in a dark theater with a screen that fills almost your entire field of vision, and theater volume and quality sound.

All of the comparisons to 2001 are quite apt: it is a feast for the eyes and ears we probably haven't had in a space movie since then. And I'd kill to be able to actually experience 2001 on the big screen.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

So what genre would this fall into? I've heard some people say it's a Horror movie which was an instant turn off for me.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Anyone who describes this as a horror movie is an idiot.

It's definitely a drama. I suppose it could qualify as a thriller or something as well. I don't think that quite fits but it's filled with loads of suspense and it will make your adrenaline pump. But it absolutely is not a horror movie. That's the most absurd thing I've ever heard.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

I want to go see it but I think such a movie would stress my boyfriend out. :/

:monster:

The sound design was definitely amazing too. And yes, this is definitely the sort of film that requires the big screen. It also requires 3D. It won't have the same impact if you don't have objects flying at you.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    It also requires 3D. It won't have the same impact if you don't have objects flying at you.
    Have to agree about this as well I think. Until I saw this movie I never, ever, thought 3D actually added something to a movie except for maybe Dredd 3D. But I would absolutely consider making my next TV a 3D one just to experience this movie in 3D again once it's out of theaters. It absolutely helped to sell the illusion which was already really well sold by very convincing zero G effects.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I like 3D okay, but I prefer 2D because the visuals tend to be clearer and sharper. D= Avatar is so far the only 3D movie I've seen that still looked as sharp as it's 2D counterpart (although it still struggled to get the colours as vibrant). Most others are kind of... rubbish. Hopefully this is more Avatar.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

3D makes me motion sick. I am sad because I do not think I can enjoy this film properly. Also, wearing those stupid 3D glasses over my real glasses is awkward and uncomfortable.