Thread: Aspartame, or The trout That Makes It Diet

Blog Entries

I want a diet coke now. From McD's.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Definitely I can taste the difference between diet soda and regular. If you can't, there's something wrong with your taste buds!

If you're only used to drinking regular, diet is gonna taste weird. But once you switch over to JUST diet, it starts tasting normal. And once you cut out soda altogether, having any kind of soda is like a fizzy explosion in your mouth.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

It's the worst

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Drinking full-sugar soda feels like pouring hot diabetes juice into my gullet. I feel like I'm taking years off of my life, compounded by the 18+ years where I had a 3 can-a-day habit.

I try to stick to diet, but I really try to just not drink it anymore. Which is easier said than done after drinking soda prolifically for so long. I don't think there exists a way to drink soda in a healthy ways, moreso just ways of mitigating the damage it'll do to your endocrine system.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Aspartame is safe but I don't like the taste of it. I try to stay away from sodas in general, though, and most of them don't really taste that good to me anymore. Except Root Beer, Cheerwine, Pepsi and Mountian Dew. And the occasional Cherry or vanilla Coke. Those still taste pretty good.

Okay I know I named like, fifty products just now. Shut up.

Signature by rubah. I think.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeberto View Post
    Drinking full-sugar soda feels like pouring hot diabetes juice into my gullet. I feel like I'm taking years off of my life, compounded by the 18+ years where I had a 3 can-a-day habit.

I try to stick to diet, but I really try to just not drink it anymore. Which is easier said than done after drinking soda prolifically for so long. I don't think there exists a way to drink soda in a healthy ways, moreso just ways of mitigating the damage it'll do to your endocrine system.
    You're not supposed to drink them while they're hot. Don't you have a fridge or something?
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Only artificial sweetener I'll deal with is when I put it in that horrible coffee they have at my job. The sugar doesn't dissolve well enough.

But I can't really tell the difference with it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quint Eastwood View Post
    Isn't it that stuff that kills you?
    [Citation needed]
    Symptoms of Aspartame Poisoning | eHow
    Aspartame controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Know The Symptoms of Aspartame Poisoning - Underground Health

The truth is that anything espoused as safe usually isn't as safe as you would like to believe particularly when said product is an artificial construct. Numbered dyes, artificial sweeteners, trans fats, etc. all have their draw backs. People are really only safest ingesting things that are natural and unaltered by human meddling.

That said, everything in moderation. As long as a person isn't downing a diet coke every five minutes, they should be fine. Personally, I have to wonder if aspartame was used on stack of French toast I once ate at a restaurant. It tasted like metal.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

:monster:

Diet sodas are smurfing awful, although Coke Zero at least is better than Diet Pepsi or Diet Coke. Spuuky is correct that Mexican Coke is about a billion times better than the trout with HFCS in it. As far as artificial sweeteners go, Splenda and Truvia are tolerable.

I almost never drink soda (and when I do it's usually ginger ale) so I don't have to deal with artificially sweetened drinks too often.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Mercen-X View Post
    [Citation needed]

The truth is that anything espoused as safe usually isn't as safe as you would like to believe particularly when said product is an artificial construct. Numbered dyes, artificial sweeteners, trans fats, etc. all have their draw backs. People are really only safest ingesting things that are natural and unaltered by human meddling.

That said, everything in moderation. As long as a person isn't downing a diet coke every five minutes, they should be fine. Personally, I have to wonder if aspartame was used on stack of French toast I once ate at a restaurant. It tasted like metal.
    I'm seeing a lot of scary words about poisoning, but nothing about how big a dose is even needed in order to get poisoned. You'd think that this was a pretty important bit of information, if the effects are as severe as these pages are suggesting. I am having trouble taking those sources seriously when they say things like "may lead to death" without telling me how much is needed for them to lead to death. It's sort of like saying "extreme sugar consumption might lead to death" or "extreme caffeine consumption might lead to death". Did you know that a mere three grams of caffeine can be a lethal dose for an average human? That's not a lot.

I drink like a liter of Pepsi Max every day because it's free at my job, and I've yet to suffer any of those side effects. No headaches, and whatever loss of hearing I might have is just natural from working in a very noisy environment.

Also, there are plenty of natural things that are unaltered by humans that is very detrimental to your health. I'm not sure what you mean about "numbered dyes", but if you refer to the things that in europe have an e-number, many e-numbered substances are actually natural substances.
    Last edited by Mirage; 10-16-2013 at 10:28 AM.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mercen-X View Post
    [Citation needed]

I'm seeing a lot of scary words about poisoning, but nothing about how big a dose is even needed in order to get poisoned. You'd think that this was a pretty important bit of information, if the effects are as severe as these pages are suggesting. I am having trouble taking those sources seriously when they say things like "may lead to death" without telling me how much is needed for them to lead to death. It's sort of like saying "extreme sugar consumption might lead to death" or "extreme caffeine consumption might lead to death". Did you know that a mere three grams of caffeine can be a lethal dose for an average human? That's not a lot.

I drink like a liter of Pepsi Max every day because it's free at my job, and I've yet to suffer any of those side effects. No headaches, and whatever loss of hearing I might have is just natural from working in a very noisy environment.

Also, there are plenty of natural things that are unaltered by humans that is very detrimental to your health. I'm not sure what you mean about "numbered dyes", but if you refer to the things that in europe have an e-number, many e-numbered substances are actually natural substances.
    There's literally something about the amount within the first few sentences on the first link.

" no more than 50 mg per kilogram of body weight be consumed each day. The average person would have to drink more than 19 cans of diet soda before reaching the maximum intake for the day

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/about_5246134_symptoms-aspartame-poisoning.html#ixzz2hucnPjvp"

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

I read that. That literal something doesn't mention "poisoning", only a recommended maximum intake. That could be just like there is a recommended maximum daily intake of sugar, doesn't mean you'll get sugar poisoning if you eat more. It also doesn't even touch the "may lead to death" claim.

Before we continue though, I am completely uninterested in extreme situations where someone experienced serious side effects after drinking 20+ cans of diet soda every day for several days in a row. Given a high enough volume, nearly any substance can be hazardous. I'm pretty sure 20+ cans of non-diet soda per day can lead to serious health risks too.
    Last edited by Mirage; 10-17-2013 at 12:16 AM.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I don't know if it is aspartame that causes the odd taste, but I wont drink diet sodas due to whatever that afwul taste is. It tastes like liquified air with a dash of nasty.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

If you taste a sort of metallic aftertaste, that's most likely aspartame.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I read that. That literal something doesn't mention "poisoning", only a recommended maximum intake. That could be just like there is a recommended maximum daily intake of sugar, doesn't mean you'll get sugar poisoning if you eat more. It also doesn't even touch the "may lead to death" claim.

Before we continue though, I am completely uninterested in extreme situations where someone experienced serious side effects after drinking 20+ cans of diet soda every day for several days in a row. Given a high enough volume, nearly any substance can be hazardous. I'm pretty sure 20+ cans of non-diet soda per day can lead to serious health risks too.
    I guess, but I tend to find things like maximum intakes where the line is drawn before bad things start being likely.