Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Pink Grin Little Tiny Video Game Shops

There's a local place here that is basically run by one single guy and I tend to make out with treasures every time I go in there. A few weeks ago it was a first edition gold cartridge Legend of Zelda and yesterday I got the original Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Are there little tiny mom & pop vidya stores where you are? Do you get goodies when you visit?

I support the local small shop for sure! They tend to have all the sort of underground and Japanese titles the big stores never dare to import. Don't even mind paying that 3-5 euro's extra for a game if it means the money goes to the guy who's really into gaming rather than the goons at superstores. Unfortunately vintage collections are pretty much non-existent in stores in the Netherlands

Articles
    Blog Entries

Memphis has quite a few of this and they're awesome. This one place I know is like a literal hole in the wall but it has the best selection of old OC games I've ever seen. Got Might & Magic IV for like $6.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    There's a local place here that is basically run by one single guy and I tend to make out with treasures every time I go in there.
    I read this sentence like five or six times before realising what you meant. I was confused as to why you were kissing 'treasures'. :S

Anyways, I don't have one of those over here. I had one in NZ, though. There used to be one in Edinburgh too, but it shut down.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

There are none in my area as far as I know. We only have Gamestops around here, and they have to yank at your penis when you enter the store. If you are a woman, they stare awkwardly at the ground for awhile and talk about Portal.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

There is one shop in Glasgow that could fall under this heading. It has a bunch of old school stuff that I like looking at, and a lot of their current gen stuff are games that you don't tend to see in places like GAME. Also they get a lot of American imports in, which is cool.

EDIT: And they are more expensive than other game shops which makes me go in and look, but never buy.
    Last edited by Shauna; 10-10-2013 at 04:36 PM.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

We used to have one but it was ridiculously expensive, they offered less money on trade-ins and the owner was a complete asshole to people. It used to be partnered with a shop that sold crystals so they had the name Games & Crystals. When that partnership ended the amount of cool stuff the shop had went down big time and eventually they went bust.

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I remember years ago that there was a small video game shop and my family would often make a visit for games to buy or trade. Sadly, it closed. I'm not sure if there are other small shops that specializes in video games though.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

There's a small used game store about a mile from my house that I go to quite frequently. Strangely enough, the thing I buy there most is movies. All of their DVDs are $2, and I've found some real gems there. I've gotten some great games too, and they have good deals all the time. (I think everyday they have a buy 2 get one free thing going on, and they also have frequent coupons where sometimes you could get 25% off a used game or buy one get one free). Unfortunately, I rarely have any money to buy games there.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I live in Philadelphia and while I haven't searched lately, the last mom & pop I knew of on South street closed down a few years ago. Sad that a major city wouldn't have anything like this.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

There's a guy in town that goes around the province selling a ton if games at various flea markets and what not. He has good selection and gets some great stuff now and again. Oddly enough, I think a friend and I have supplied him with more cool stuff than he typically has at any one time.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    There's a local place here that is basically run by one single guy and I tend to make out with treasures every time I go in there.
    I read this sentence like five or six times before realising what you meant. I was confused as to why you were kissing 'treasures'. :S
    To be fair I would totally make out with - your definition - most of the products in those retro game shops

Blog Entries

There was a cool retro game store down the street from here a few months ago. I was good friends with the owner and the manager, as were some of my other friends. It was a cool place to hang out and have Mario Kart tournaments and such. They moved to a better location, and now I would have to drive over 40 minutes to go see them, and that's just a bit too much for me. I'm not big on leaving the house for any more than an hour lately.

Small stores are the best.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Growing up in So Cal, I remember lots of them, all over the place, usually ran by old Japanese dudes. I remember one in the Rolling Hills district of Lomita, CA that I lived down the street from for years called Game Masters. The guys were cool as hell, and we'd go there and play all day. I played a PlayStation, a Sega Saturn, and a 3DO for the first time there. Eventually I bought my N64 and my first PlayStation from them. Then one day, the Fuddruckers next to them went out of business and was replaced by a Hollywood Video (which undercut prices they simply could not match on games), and sadly, not too long after that, I noticed that they'd closed up shop.

Here in Columbus, there's none though. You do see a couple empty spaces here and there that used to be little mom and pop game shops though, which is kind of sad. GameStop killed them all.
    Last edited by DMKA; 10-12-2013 at 04:32 AM.
    I like Kung-Fu.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

There's a huge store in the international district stocked with anything you'd need on a console, be it in English or Japanese. I got a few Nintendo plushies and FFIV for Super Famicom there. There's a place near my old apartment that has a handful of retro games but overcharges out the ass for them.