Page 11 of 49 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516172131 ... LastLast

Thread: Pokémon X&Y post-launch discussion thread - AKA Jinx is Upset

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    You need to get a Scope Lens or Razor Claw to increase that critical chance even further.
    He wouldn't be able to Mega-Evolve it if it was holding something other than it's Mega Stone.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

He knows all of this, Skyblade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    He knows all of this, Skyblade.
    I've still seen plenty of people unaware of the change to Steel. And he did seem to be ignoring the change to Absol's Ability.

Edit: If you are running a Mega-Absol, you almost definitely want Sucker Punch over Night Slash. Magic Bounce completely prevents the opponent from using non-damaging moves on Mega-Absol, so Sucker Punch gets a huge boost. It's easy to predict that the opponent will attack when that's it's only option.
    Last edited by Skyblade; 10-17-2013 at 06:06 PM.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've just got an X-exclusive Clauncher out of Wonder Trade for a Swanna. (I have Pokemon Y, btw)

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Proto View Post
    I've just got an X-exclusive Clauncher out of Wonder Trade for a Swanna. (I have Pokemon Y, btw)
    I haven't gotten any really special Pokémon, but I have picked up plenty from other regions. Getting non-US parents is always welcome for breeding with the Masuda method. Get me more shinies.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

what is the masuda method?

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

You guys seem way more into it than me. I just like catching and fighting pokamans

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    what is the masuda method?
    If you breed two Pokémon from differing countries, you get a highly increased chance of getting a shiny from the egg.

It's named for the game designer who put it in the series back in Diamond and Pearl, and it has stayed since then.

It boosts it by 8 times the usual amount, bringing the chance to essentially 1 in 1000. Which is a far cry better than the usual chances. Also, if B2/W2's Shiny Charm comes back, that brings it to an even better 1 in 500, because the Shiny Charm worked with the Masuda method.

This game also helpfully identifies Pokémon from other countries for you with a tag by their level (and usually names in differing languages). I have an Azumarill and a Fletchling with "JPN" by their levels.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

They already raised the shiny rate to 1/1000 for this game. So presumably thr Masuda Method's percentage is even higher now.

Also, how awesome so many people on this forum are friends? makes that much easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

thanks for the in-depth explanation Skyblade it sounds awesome and I'll be looking into that.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Guys and gals, I want more friend codes.

Quote Originally Posted by The Summoner of Leviathan View Post
    Guys and gals, I want more friend codes.
    I have two.

Number one: 1547-6378-0895
    Number two: 0490-5832-0785

You'll find me on both, interchangeably. I don't often hook into the internet though, so if you want to trade, PM me or something.

I've been lurking on the Smogon forums and came across some interesting discussion: Apparently Mega-Mewtwo X's enormous attack stat is nigh-useless. Mewtwo does not appear to have acquired any new physical moves. His current best STAB Fighting move is Brick Break. Psychic wise, he has more options, in Zen Headbut and Psycho Cut, but both are largely inferior to Psystrike, even on Mega-Mewtwo X. And apart from that, his viable physical movepool is looking relatively shallow and predictable. It's looking like this version is going to be around more to give Mewtwo additional bulk through slightly better physical defense and a better defensive typing than actually increasing his ability to sweep at all. At least, in the competitive meta-game, according to the theorycrafting thus far.

I don't put full faith in that, as I think he can get the elemental punches, Earthquake, and Drain Punch, so he has some viability. But his lack of set up options and good secondary STAB have people worried.
    Last edited by Skyblade; 10-17-2013 at 11:16 PM.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

4167-4486-9881 is mine if anyone is interested!

Blog Entries

Some guy wonder traded me a Fennekin. I feel a little bad about sending him a Wobuffet.

"Don't disrespect Wobbuffet. It's
    the greatest pokemon there ever was."

Wobbuffet vs Wobbuffet!

"Back in the good old days, it could
    create literally endless battles.
    If both Wobbuffets had a high
    defensive EV spread and leftovers
    as held item, they would even
    heal off the struggle damage
    each turn after exhausting their
    moves, meaning the only way to
    end their eternal struggle would
    be by turning the game off."

"So, please remind me... how exactly does
    that make it the greatest pokemon ever?"

"Boring people like you just don't get it."

As a further incentive, Pokémon captured in the Safari Zone apparently always have at least two IVs at 31 (which two are random though). And the one-time legendaries apparently always have at least three IVs at 31 (again, which three are random). So, yeah, IVs still suck, but at least GameFreak is doing something to fix that. And Friend Whoring is a part of it.
    This is seriously awesome. Finally, actually catched pokemon might be useful for once. Especially pokemon that hardly needs anything but speed and power anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Shadow View Post
    Some guy wonder traded me a Fennekin. I feel a little bad about sending him a Wobuffet.

"Don't disrespect Wobbuffet. It's
    the greatest pokemon there ever was."

Wobbuffet vs Wobbuffet!

"Back in the good old days, it could
    create literally endless battles.
    If both Wobbuffets had a high
    defensive EV spread and leftovers
    as held item, they would even
    heal off the struggle damage
    each turn after exhausting their
    moves, meaning the only way to
    end their eternal struggle would
    be by turning the game off."

"So, please remind me... how exactly does
    that make it the greatest pokemon ever?"

"Boring people like you just don't get it."
    It was undoubtedly a bred baby, so don't worry about it.

I try to do version exclusives for Wonder Trade myself. Houndour/Manetric (if you've reached the Stonehenge city, they're easy to find) or Spritzee/Swirlix if not (though they're rarer, and can be found around where you find the sleeping Snorlax).

That gives me a 50/50 chance that I'm providing someone with a Pokémon they won't get through regular gameplay, which seems fair to me for a completely random shot.

As a further incentive, Pokémon captured in the Safari Zone apparently always have at least two IVs at 31 (which two are random though). And the one-time legendaries apparently always have at least three IVs at 31 (again, which three are random). So, yeah, IVs still suck, but at least GameFreak is doing something to fix that. And Friend Whoring is a part of it.
    This is seriously awesome. Finally, actually catched pokemon might be useful for once. Especially pokemon that hardly needs anything but speed and power anyway.
    Yep. And it gets better. You can find a ton of Pokémon in the Safari Zones as long as you have the correct friends. Including all three of the Kalos starters (who can have their Hidden Abilities). The fact that each Friend only gives access to three is the big limit, but with enough Friends, you can still find hundreds of Pokémon there.

Also, new Breeding Rule: A Parent holding one of the EV Boosting items (such as the Power Lens) will pass down the corresponding IV to their child. This only works for one parent, but it lets you guarantee that a 31 in Speed (for example) gets passed down to the kid, while the other parent holds the Everstone to pass down a Nature. So even once you've caught a Pokémon, if you need to breed moves on to it (and Egg Moves can now come from either parent, so every Egg Move is legal in any combination), you still have a lot more control.

IVs still suck, but GameFreak has made a huge effort to make them more bearable.