Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: People Telling You Who You Are

Default People Telling You Who You Are

Well i was on an enforced date and halfway througfh the night I was told 'You're the strong silent type aren't you'. That happens a lot in varying ways and tonightt I decided to ask how she came to that conclusion and was told it was because I didn't speak much but also didn't seem nervous or insecure about it I googled it to get more info and apparently I'm very out of fashion and will struggle to hold down a relationship with a modern woman. Awesome. However I couldn't argue as I guess that probably is the way I am. I don't speak much, not through shyness or that I don't feel confident, I really do I just don't need to fill air with noise all the time and don't think you need to talk about every problem.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...male-advantage

Anyway do you often get 'told' by people what kind of person you are? It's annoying isn'ty it? Even when they're right, you deny it unless it's flattering. Does they perceptions of you often differ from how you view yourself? Hinting at self awareness issues?

The Nerd Who Knows Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't really ever encounter this. But then again, I generally don't talk to people.

<PaperStar> live fast, die young, bad plefs do it well

Articles
    Blog Entries

Most people I run into seem to love hearing about themselves, especially girls. Don't encounter many "#youdontknowme" types of people, and I'd like to keep it that way.
    This twenty-year-old boy was distinguished from childhood by strange qualities, a dreamer and an eccentric. A girl fell in love with him, and he went and sold her to a brothel...

GONNA ROKKEN YOUR WORLD WildRaubtier's Avatar

people on youtube tell me im a fag all the time, does that count

People don't talk to me..

Contributions
    • Contributions to former EoFF Map

Astrologists. How annoying. Anytime someone tries to tell me what star sign I am or omg you're a ______ that makes so much sense. Frack off.

Boldly go.

smurf, Cuch and I have something in common.

Oh well, I had a good run.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

People call me a robot because they think I don't ever feel cold or pain or emotion. It's mostly true. I can usually be found in a t-shirt even when it's freezing out. I have an extremely high tolerance to pain. I don't really ever show emotion on my face. It did get kind of weird because the fact that I'm a robot spread in my college and I would have people I hardly know make comments about me being a robot.

That's probably it for me.

I think it's annoying because they fail to appreciate the level of nuance in any given persons personality. Psychologists try their best to explain this sort of thing, but its nowhere close to becoming a hard science by any stretch. Calling someone a "strong but silent type" just files someone into a quaint little category. It's annoying because they think they "get you" by slapping on some label after observing your behavior for 10 minutes.

Blog Entries

"Weird", "Bitchy",

I don't really get slapped with a label ever. Or well. I guess when people say I'm a typical Irish person. I'm like "wtf?" And they're like "Yeah cuz like you're a pro at drinking! & you're a red head & you're short! "

Little do they know, all of those traits minus being short comes from my dad's side of the family, not my mom's. And either way... I'm pretty sure that not all Irish people drink or have red hair.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I don't hear people putting labels on me very often. I guess when it happens, it's "hot headed". I don't talk a lot in bigger groups because I am worried about saying stupid trout that will ruin people's first impressions of me, so maybe people think I'm the quiet and anonymous type. I quickly get vocal and maybe a bit too intense once I get to know people and talk to them in smaller groups, however.

Also, like Cuch, I don't really feel the need to talk just to fill the room with sounds. Talking just for the sake of talking is pretty annoying.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Yes, but they normally spend more time with me than ten minutes so it's usually spot on.

I quit getting labeled after I graduated high school. I wore the name freak proud, but then came 1999 and freaks in trench coats began getting looked at in a more fearful way, so if I got labeled after that it was in secret. I recently picked up a new job, and random people label me as a Walmart worker because of my blue shirt and tan pants. It pisses me off so I flip them off or give them an attitude, until I remember I do work a Walmart.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

"Shy"

I'm not shy.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I think people think I'm a bit dumb/stupid on first meeting.