Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Once you go whack you never come back.
    Figaro Castle

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Well, I grew some sympathy for him with the last episode, and lost it again with this one. But I still think he's one of, if not the most interesting character to follow.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Not a fan of killing Shumpert off screen. At least they addressed it, but it would have been interesting to see where they could have gone with that. Even if it was just one more person the Governor killed in a fit of rage at the new camp.

I liked both of the last episodes, and the next one looks like it's gonna be a hell of a roller coaster ride. How long is the break? I usually watch after the season is over, and not on a week to week basis so I'm curious how long the hiatus is suppose to be.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I feel sympathy for the man. NO REGRETS

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The man deserves sympathy. The monster he's become does not.

Still, I like that TV Governor is far, far, FAR more sympathetic than comic Governor. My god, was he ever a real monster.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Don't even care. I am totally for The Governor after the last two episodes.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like him. I just hope he dies painfully.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

A friend of mine pointed out that this is now the third time "governor group vs prison group" has happened and it's getting stale because it's hard to build up to something that's happened twice already and be excited for it as a finale.

I don't necessarily agree. I think there's always something new and interesting they add to it which keeps it entertaining to watch. But I will agree about wanting a change of scenery. I won't complain about that though as I think a big part of this season is building up to that, and how the prison isn't safe and needs to ultimately be evacuated.

Also, did anyone else hear the news that AMC wants to do a Walking Dead spin-off show, or companion show, scheduled for 2015?

They have been repeating things a lot. I'm not bored of it, but I do hope this is the final confrontation. I'd really like the days of the prison to be over and done with. They also repeat the same thing by introducing new characters just to kill them off too though. There has to be fatalities and I understand that, but every time a new group is introduced it's a give in that 90%, if not all of them, will just be the new redshirts.

I have not heard about a spin-off. I'm going to have to go and Google that later.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

The governor kept a room full of people's severed heads in a room that he watched like TV, he machine-gunned a bus full of tonwsfolk for no reason, and he raped at least one of the main characters, never mind trying to murder the rest of them. I'm not sure how anyone could feel sympathy for this character.

He's one-dimensional. He has no remorse or empathy, oh boy. The new episodes (the story about his brother for example) suggest that he was a psychopath in the pre-apocalypse days but society kept him in check. I guess that's vaguely interesting, but the character himself is not interesting other than being a psychopath. He's also a skinny old nerdy guy and I can't suspend disbelief enough to let him be the villain he's supposed to be.

The governor can wander the streets in broad daylight near-starving and apathetic to his own well-being and somehow survive long enough to grow a full beard. That girl from a recent episode literally had her legs ripped off in a matter of hours. The governor has a plot bubble around him that prevents anything bad from happening except what the plot needs.

Guy watches him go completely insane and murder a whole town of semi-innocent people, then a while later finds him in a hole in the ground. Hmm, might as well save his life, not tell anyone, give him guns and take him hunting. What could possibly go wrong?

Guy with eyepatch shows up in camp, two days later all the leaders are dead. Good thing that one-eyed guy is here to be the new leader! No one in camp questions this? How did he murder someone in a trailer in the middle of the day and get his body to a lake without anyone noticing? How did no one notice him leaving camp in the middle of the night with a car packed full of food and come back later like nothing happened? Does anyone in this place stand watch? I guess it's not like they're completely surrounded by zombies or anything. Bad writing.

I'm hoping they brought him back this season just to kill him off in a spectacular fashion. Like point-blank blast with the tank. But he's probably going to get to kill a few main characters first.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaibana View Post
    here, this is what i saw in the commercial!
    Attachment 48456
    Crinnnnnnnggggge. Maybe if they had a different actor playing him or something.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I forgot about the rape. The other stuff I don't care about as much.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Unne View Post
    He's one-dimensional. He has no remorse or empathy, oh boy. The new episodes (the story about his brother for example) suggest that he was a psychopath in the pre-apocalypse days but society kept him in check. I guess that's vaguely interesting, but the character himself is not interesting other than being a psychopath.
    He's really not a psychopath though. And I mean that in the literal sense of him not being a psychopath since he has clearly been shown as capable of having feelings for other people. He's just a person who went so far down the rabbit hole of doing absolutely anything to survive and maintain his own power that there's no coming back from it because, at this point doing, the awful things he does has become too easy for him to live with and justify. From what we've seen in the last two episodes, I can't believe for one second he started off in life as a legitimate psychopath.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

He cared for his daughter, but there's no indication it was more than as a pet. He even literally kept her zombie corpse as a pet. He clearly has a weird corpse fetish thing going on. He supposedly cared for Andrea and then left her to be tortured/killed by a zombie. That doctor guy who was his assistant in town and supposedly knew him for a long time, he easily murdered that guy with his own hands from what I remember.

The story he told in the last episode was his brother took the fall for something the governor did and his dad beat the crap out of his brother, and the governer let it happen, and the moral of that story was his brother was weak. Consider the scene where he knocks on the door in the apartment building, that lady from his new family answers and he says "Goodbye" and turns to leave without a word, before she stops him. Consider the scene where the zombie is about to eat that new little girl in camp, and he shoots the zombie and then just turns and walks away, like no big deal. Consider the scene where he murders some guy for being "too good" and then calmly tells his brother how there is no right and wrong and if he doesn't agree with that, he's next to die. He uses people as tools. He lies without remorse. He kills people without even the slightest remorse. He doesn't show that he has any deep emotion other than instinct for self-preservation and anger and an inkling of attachment for his daughter. He forms connections with people on some level but it's not the same way normal people form connections. Can you imagine him abandoning his new family if "necessary"? I easily can.

Contrast with Rick, who does what he needs to survive but still feels really horrible about it for years afterward, who keeps questioning his actions, who is trying to keep his son from turning out like the governor. That more or less describes most or all of the main characters. They do horrible things but they're conflicted about it.

Granted everyone is living in a world that's set up nicely for psychopaths to prosper, because brutal things are necessary for survival. Granted I don't know what's going on in the governor's head (because he's imaginary), but the character seems psychopathic to me. I could be wrong.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

I do agree that the Governor is a psychopath (and I'm something of an expert of a subject; I'm from the internet), but I don't agree that he is one-dimensional. He definitely puts his own survival far before anyone else's, but he also puts his group's survival far ahead of any "outsider", and I believe there is something more than self-preservation behind that.