Thread: Lightning Returns: Endangering Species since 2013

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Default Lightning Returns: Endangering Species since 2013

In Lightning Returns there are only a limited number of humans. No new babies are being born! It's a terrible problem. There also aren't any new creatures being born either. What does this mean? There are only a limited amount of creatures in a species. Yes. You can wipe out an entire species.

les2.jpgIn Lightning returns there will only be so many of each creature. Once you defeat near all of them, when there is only one left it's referred to as the Last One. The Last One will be extraordinarily powerful and hard to defeat. Once you do, the species will be eradicated. They actually become extinct.

Of course Square Enix made sure to inform us that not every species will fall victim to your monster poaching skills.

Are you going to go on a vicious hunt to eradicate all lifeforms? What do you think about this addition?
    Last edited by Freya; 10-30-2013 at 07:19 AM.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I kind of like the idea that a species can be exterminated. It brings a more realistic approach to random battles. I remember in older games when I would grind and think "could there really be a never ending amount of imps in this forest?". Than again, I appreciate those fantasy aspects of it so it's not a complaint.

Maybe there will be some sort of goal in extermination. Kind of like how in Final Fantasy X, you could try to get 10 of every creature for the battle arena.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I would feel bad for making it extinct, unless it's undead or some kind of demon spawn

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Sounds like an interesting concept. Guess time will tell.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I would kill all the species.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    I would kill all the species.
    The game needs an in-world version of PETA that will attack you and dump buckets of animal blood on you.

Blog Entries

The first thing that came across my mind is Lightning is God since she can decide which species to eliminate or will get a second chance. If there are undead and zombies in the game, I hope they are extinct first before anyone else.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Neon pink skeleton guy whoa.

Also I think this might be really neat o:

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Yes. I am going to kill everything, everywhere. For all time.

But since you supposedly get some time manipulation to forestall/rewind the ever-ticking clock, could you wind back time and find the species alive again?

Also, if there are only a limited number of monsters, this game had better do away with random drops. There's no way I'm going to save reset endlessly for each monster just so that I can pick up a rare drop from each one I killed.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

NeoCracker: I like you.

On topic: Huh. This is a very interesting feature. I don't think it'll 'make' the game, but it's definitely a nice touch. Good on 'em.
    This Apple-software (QuickTime) is not meant to be used for controlling nuclear powerplants, aircraft-navigation, communication-systems, air traffic control-systems or lifesupportive machines, where errors and shortcomings in the Apple-software may lead to deaths, injuries or serious property- or environmental damage.