Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: EoFF in 10 years: a look back

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Default EoFF in 10 years: a look back

Out of curiosity I looked all the way back on the first page of General Chat to see what was talked about back then. A topic brought up in one of the threads was "Where do you see EoFF a decade from now?". It's been (almost, in a few months) 10 years since that thread. I saw a lot of people who's names I don't even recognize saying "oh yeah i'll still be here". Here's some predictions from people who are still around:

Quote Originally Posted by Shlup View Post
    EoFF a decade from now... It'll probably be me and Sean posting pictures of our kids back and forth and everyone else'll get sick of it and run.
    Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    In a decade the site will still be here but I don't think the forums will be. The world will have a new fad by then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    They'll be here. I'll be sitting here posting in them. I have no life now I expect I won't have much of one then.
    It's interesting to see the wide variety of predictions. Some of us haven't been here for 10 years, so what I'd like to know is this:

How do you think the site has progressed since you started posting? What changes have been made that you like? What is something that's long gone that you miss? Really anything along those lines. If you're a new member, maybe you can talk about all the things you saw or found here that you weren't expecting to see when you joined.

One thing I really like about my own progression from then to now is maturity. I just want to face palm every time I look back on a lot of posts from 14 year old me.

I miss the wiki. You can still find it but I remember back when it was an active thing people were going to so they could leave little notes for/about people. Again, here is a classic example of people posting when they're young:

Eyes on Final Fantasy: memberlist:lone_wolf_leonhart

I liked user notes as well. We have visitor messages now, obviously. Maybe it's just the nostalgia of going back and reading some of the old ones.

I also liked the EoFF shop. As a young teenager I never had the money to buy anything, but I liked the concept.

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like how Bert knew what will actually happen.

Anyway, I have to say that EoFF has gone a long way since I had joined. I miss the friends I had made back then, and I wish I were closer to them. I guess here's to the next ten years then?

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Proto View Post
    I like how Bert knew what will actually happen.
    Well, Del was right that there'd be new fads, but he underestimated out crotchety resistance to change.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I didn't think I would be around, but I learned to appreciate a small, tight community like this over the years. It has helped that I have mellowed overall over the years.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't think I ever considered if I'd be around or not.

I miss the feeling of being a part of a community larger than it is now. I miss the different cliques and I miss the closeness that the EoFF LJ community had.

Growing up, having the internet and being able to access the forums was "a privilege" and I got in trouble an awful lot for being online. My mom started grounding me when she discovered I was talking to people online. Having EoFF at my fingertips now and the abudance of technology like being able to take pictures, videos and voice recordings to share I think makes it a little bit less special, in a way, because I remember what a big deal back then it was to be able to talk to people on the phone or see a photo of the person you were talking to. We sent letters instead of texts! But of course, I'm glad we have the technology to engage eachother as we do, absolutely. I just think it makes our interactions with eachother along the lines of a taken-for-granted sort of mentality now.

Of course the site has changed now that we're all older. I think that everyone being students in school at the same time and dealing with parents, etc gave a lot of cause for conversation and topics of interest because it was something we all had in common. Now we're all adults and going along our own ways of life and conversation is less because we have less in common than we once did. The Final Fantasy games have changed in the last few years, too, and I do think that this affects our site because it's initially why we're all here.

Since just a couple of years after this community was started, people have said it was in the decline. I am skeptical about if the forums will be here in another ten years, but I think I might be surprised.

Bert confirmed for clairvoyant. You should start investing in futures. Should I buy pork bellies or crude oil?

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

EoFF got a lot better after I joined, and after a little dive year, it continues to go from strength to strength.

I'm not saying I'm the cause, or anything, I'm just saying that's a little too coincidental.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Before it felt like a fun after school club with friends and assholes and now it is my internet house c:

It's like, before there were people I liked and people I always wish would get themselves banned, but now it's like family, I care about everyone here, even people who occasionally rub me the wrong way, just because they're a part of EoFF.
    Last edited by Jessweeee♪; 11-02-2013 at 03:51 AM.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Quint Eastwood View Post
    EoFF got a lot better after I joined, and after a little dive year, it continues to go from strength to strength.

I'm not saying I'm the cause, or anything, I'm just saying that's a little too coincidental.
    How do you know if it got better after you joined, nerd? You wouldn't have been around to judge beforehand!

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

A lot of people got banned in 2006.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I Took the Red Pill View Post
    Bert confirmed for clairvoyant. You should start investing in futures. Should I buy pork bellies or crude oil?
    7.62mm ammunition.

Lulz. I can't believe I posted that (yes I can). and wow teenage posting

Prinny God Recognized Member Endless's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ten years ago I had just gotten married and wasn't as active anymore I think, except to play and beat everyone at the arcade.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Lulz. I can't believe I posted that (yes I can). and wow teenage posting
    Some of my old posts make me cringe.

And then there is Death

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I wonder if that thread would have had a lot more activity if someone other than PG had created it...
    Figaro Castle

Articles
    Blog Entries

The FF forums used to be a lot more active, I guess the slowdown in releases had some to do with that.

Blogs are cool! There's people I interacted with there I probably otherwise wouldn't have, even just talking about games.

EoEO is still a pit of intolerance and immaturity, and likely always will be. Except for the personal life threads, those are still really great and meaningful.

I've always come here to talk about games, and the tone of the arguments has definitely changed. It used to be so much fun going back and forth with novel-length responses over insignificant plot points or game mechanics. Maybe I just grew up but now the discussions are more cynical, the arguments sometimes cruel, and even when we talk about nostalgic childhood topics a few devolve into an almost passive-aggressive pissing contest. I still enjoy talking to a lot of people here so don't take it the wrong way, I've just noticed some people take things a tad too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    EoEO is still a pit of intolerance and immaturity, and likely always will be. Except for the personal life threads, those are still really great and meaningful.
    You forgot ignorance. Tremendous ignorance. It's a lot of fun, except for all the boring personal life threads which are easy to skip.

EoFF will still exist in 10 years because even if everyone else quits using it, there will be a desperate few who refuse to give up even as it decays around them. Not that it won't necessarily be thriving, too. There's just very little chance of total disappearance. I guess if the page views got low enough, the owners could just shut it down regardless, though.

If EoFF has a failing it is that it isn't very tolerant of 'differentness' from the collective ideal of what an EoFF poster should be and what they should post about. I don't pay that much attention anymore, but it's always been present in things like the strict adherence to rules about double posts, or the interpretation of a post as being "trolling" when it's not, or the complete non-acceptance of anything that even resembles a person attack even when it isn't, in fact, a personal attack. There are plenty more ways in which it's demonstrated, as well.

Now, there's nothing wrong with that in principle - but it creates a very "inbred" (I mean that in a non-offensive way, I guess sort of isolationist) environment in which people who aren't like other people here are driven away, unless they've got extremely thick skin in some regards. Even then, they tend to eventually get bored and leave, which leaves a community that thinks a lot alike (trivial surface differences and a few outlier members notwithstanding).