Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Fallout New Vegas (and general Fallout) discussion

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Having now played through them all, my grand current gen Fallout DLC rankings:

1. Old World Blues
    2. Point Lookout
    3. The Pitt
    4. Broken Steel
    5. Honest Hearts
    6. Dead Money
    7. Lonesome Road
    8. Operation: Anchorage
    9. Mothership Zeta

Such a shame that the last DLCs for both games were probably the weakest. I just finished on Mothership Zeta and I liked the characters, but it was just one long god damn grind against aliens and the fun slowly wore off.

I think the only contentious one will be Dead Money. I was tempted to put it above Broken Steel or alternatively below Operation: Anchorage. In the end I just went for the middle ground.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Dead Money is the only DLC I've played and I loved it, despite the fact that it gave me headaches and nausea of a most hideous pain running around those lowly-lit villas.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Best DLC, Old World Blues.

Worst DLC, Honest Hearts.

While Lonesome Road is entirely linear, I enjoyed the journey much like Operation: Anchorage. As a single slice trying to do something else and just tell a small story.

On the other hand Honest Hearts was lots of talking face to face with people with nothing to do in this new giant expanse. It isn't getting new information over the radio while you explore and traverse. It is talking to people point blank and having them tell you everything and just sitting there. Then off to the next story point. There was not much to do and it was terrible. It was so poorly received that I think it is what cause Old World Blues to get delayed like it did. That talking to you problem is in old world blues as well but it at least is only at the start and end of that game.

Oh yeah, Point Lookout was awesome as well.

Articles

See, I actually liked Honest Hearts. The Burned Man is such an enigmatic and strong character and definitely stole the show. I also really liked the pure and clear area not being touched by bombs - it wasn't very Fallout but then that's why I liked it, it was such a great change of pace. Finally, I also liked the little moral dilemma at the end and all of the different endings for the tribe.

On the other side, I know they ran out of funding during development of HH and Bethesda pushed them to release it before it was ready. At the end you can see this because there's a couple of placeholder quests that are simple "go here, kill dudes" that were never meant to be in the ideal version of HH. Overall though, that didn't detract from the bigger picture for me.

While not really liking any of the FO3 expansions (Except Broken Steel, which I never played), I really liked most of New Vegas.

I was kind of bored with Honest Hearts, though The Burned Man was excellent. One of New Vegas as a wholes better characters I felt.

Dead Money was my favorite though. It had such a tense atmosphere, and your companions were all wonderful. Not to mention Father Elija was a smurfing terrific villain. The whole time you are wanting to rip that little smurfers throat out, he is just such a delightful asshole.

Now, I may get flack, but I smurfing hated Lonesome road. You get all these mentions of the Courier in the other DLC's, and it's building him up as this great and interesting chatacter, and then you finally meet the guy. And I can't begin to describe how much I just wanted him to shut the smurf up. He drones on and on, and it all boils down to 'You brought bomb and blew Ceasers guys up and now I is sad!'. I couldn't help but think how much better that expansion would have been had they just had Father Elija escape at the end of Dead Money (He's the kind of guy who you could have seen just sending in robots at the end there). Messing with this old world trout is completely up that guys alley, and he makes for a far better antagonist then the smurfer who drones on and on about how being a courier, a man who walks from point a to b, understands the workings of the world.

My never ending annoyance of Ulyssys just killed that expansion for me, even if I did like not-E-DE.

Articles

Dead Money, for me, varied wildly between amazing and awful. As Cracker says, the atmosphere was brilliant, as was Father Elijah. However, the gameplay was often frustrating and maddening. Random beeps, now you're dead. Here's some gas, now you're dead. Holo people? Dead. On the one hand it raised the stakes, on the other you were dead through very little fault of your own because you failed to spot a tiny little radio hidden under a desk in ten seconds.

Lonesome Road, you know, I actually sort of loved to listen to Ulysses because I thought his voice was brilliant. And I liked the message he gave... but the actual backstory they were building to - this man let Courier Six deliver it, he pops up in all the DLCs etc - was stupid. Oh, you blew up my old country. The entire time I was like "No, I bloody well didn't, this is mistaken identity" and thought it would either be that, or alternatively some minor action I had actually taken in the Mojave had led to this - an "actions have consequences" kind of lesson. I guess the ending resolve was indeed that lesson... but it was a backstory to the Courier that we had no involvement in. No, my actions did not have a consequence because they are not my actions. We have no idea what the hell it is you are talking about Ulysses. The key thing about Fallout is that we don't have a backstory - we're a Courier, that's it. Blank slate. The game just imposes its own story on you out of the blue.

They did get a damn good VA for him, that is true. :P

Grimoire of the Sages ShunNakamura's Avatar

Well I saw New Vegas on sale via steam so I finally grabbed it since I have some time to play games for a change.

I didn't want to shot them! Really! I never follow the rails so instead of talking to to smiles I went into the school house and beat on some critters. I then saw those bighorn things and clicked on it to see if I could ride it. Apparently my Dumb Ass decided to punch in in the face. Which pissed off the locals. So after getting shot a lot of times I run to the doc for help and he starts shooting at me with this laser thing so I was forced to shot him in the head with a shotgun! I didn't wanna kill him! He made me do it!

Now they think I am a villain! Haven't they ever heard of talking things out? It was just all a misunderstanding!

Ahem. Lets try that again. No punching large bovines in the face. Gotcha.

STILL Updating the anime list. . . I didn't think I was that much of an anime freak! I don't even want to consider updating the manga list!

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

what you punched that guy's cattle I WILL KILL YOU

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

You can't just go around punching cattle, man.

Articles

Bighorner or Brahmin? This is important

Either way, it's only Goodsprings. Murder the lot of 'em, that's all they're good for.

Whats great is one playthrough when the bar lady and Powder ganger guy were arguing after the tutorial stuff with sunny, rather then ask anyone anything I straight up murdered the dude. And they were all 'You know, he deserved that, and I REALLY am hoping you knew that before murdering him" and it was all good.