Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Even if I mind, I'm sure I'll live.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

This is why living in Europe sucks- ass, we won't get this game till early 2015 most likely

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

You know you can just import it from the US, right?
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Hypoallergenic Chie View Post
    it is by fart he best version
    teehee fart

Anyway. I am excited for all of the titles. All of them. Even dancing all night.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm glad someone's as immature as me Shauna.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Would a mod please change Thread title to Persona 5- coming winter 2014
    Done.

Also I've never played a Persona game before. What am I missing? Fill me in with the deets!

Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post
    Would a mod please change Thread title to Persona 5- coming winter 2014
    Done.

Also I've never played a Persona game before. What am I missing? Fill me in with the deets!
    The Persona games are JRPGs set in an urban fantasy environment: our world, just with monsters and magic thrown in.

The main themes of the games center around Jungian Psychology, an exploration of the repressed Shadows of the human psyche, given physical form. The game also draws from H.P.Lovecraft's mythos, both in characters, and in the primary themes of a vast, uncaring universe (with one of the key differences being just how powerful humans and human will can be).

The games are centered around two main systems. The first is a fairly standard exploration of (usually) randomly generated dungeons, combined with a JRPGbattle system. The system makes itself notable by the amount of depth it introduces through the varying attack types and how weakness exploitation affects the combat.

The other main system is the town exploration and the relationships that you build with other characters. Persona is not a series which you can get through on combat alone. The relationships you build strengthen you and your party, as well as offering insight into (and sometimes being required for) the main story.

It is one of my favorite series of all time, and includes some of the best writing in gaming, in my opinion. Pick up and play Persona 3 and Persona 4. They are well worth it.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Story-wise, are the first 2 (or I guess three since Persona 2 is split into two games) Persona games worth playing? I've played a good chunk of Persona 3 before I managed to get stuck in some sort of boss battle. I need to go back and play through that game

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_ffgamer View Post
    Story-wise, are the first 2 (or I guess three since Persona 2 is split into two games) Persona games worth playing? I've played a good chunk of Persona 3 before I managed to get stuck in some sort of boss battle. I need to go back and play through that game
    Nostalgia freaks claim the second one is the best, but for me 3 and 4 are the only ones worth playing. You can safely skip 1 either way.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Persona 1 is not that great in my opinion and something you play just for completion's sake. Persona 2 is much better and very enjoyable but still not as great as Persona 3 and 4.

Also, while we're at it, Persona 3 and 4 were where the series really took off in popularity. As such, while the games they've made since have heavily referenced and drawn from 3 and 4 (including these new ones), the first games in the series aren't really that important to play. You'll catch a few references, and you'll have a slightly better understanding of the grand concept of the series, but apart from that, you don't really seem to be losing anything important (and, when there is something important from the first games that comes up moving forward, they'll reintroduce it since they know most of the fans haven't played the earlier games).

Persona started as a spinoff of the Shin Megami Tensei series. It wasn't until Persona 3 that I feel it acquired its own identity and became its own series.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

I suggest Shin Megami IV if you have a 3DS, cause god it's awesome. Completely different themes and gameplay, though they all have the running theme of being darker RPG's. SMT IV may be the best 3DS title there is.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    I suggest Shin Megami IV if you have a 3DS, cause god it's awesome. Completely different themes and gameplay, though they all have the running theme of being darker RPG's. SMT IV may be the best 3DS title there is.
    Rune Factory IV, Fire Emblem Awakening, Persona Q: Shadow of Labyrinth, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney.

I can go on. It's good, but it is not the best.

And the Persona series is generally better than the SMT series, in my opinion. Plus, if you're looking for an intro to the Persona games, it's better to jump in on P3: FES or P4 Golden than to sidestep from SMT.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've been wanting to get SMT IV. It intrigues me. I feel like I actually did get pretty far in Persona 3 FES before I managed to get stuck. The little I played of it already put it up there as one of my favorite games. Due to that (and what I've seen of Persona 4 Golden), I'm excited for what Persona 5 will bring.

RF IV is lesser then RF III, Persona Q isn't even out yet, Layton and Pheonix isn't an RPG, and I guess we just disagree on Fire Emblem.

Edit: Well, that was at Skyblade, but for some reason I thought I originally said RPG.

Regardless, it stands to be better then all those.