Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Persona 5 - Coming Winter 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Hypoallergenic Chie View Post
    I consider
    Female Protagonist (Persona 3 Portable) - Megami Tensei Wiki: a Demonic Compendium of your True Self
    to be the canon protagonist for P3, due to her story being superior to the male protagonists (outside of the answer)

I hope she reappears.
    Unfortunately, canon isn't decided by what we would like it to be. Both P4 and P4: Arena confirm that the P3 protagonist was male.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bright Shield View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypoallergenic Chie View Post
    I consider
    Female Protagonist (Persona 3 Portable) - Megami Tensei Wiki: a Demonic Compendium of your True Self
    to be the canon protagonist for P3, due to her story being superior to the male protagonists (outside of the answer)

I hope she reappears.
    Unfortunately, canon isn't decided by what we would like it to be. Both P4 and P4: Arena confirm that the P3 protagonist was male.
    It's called a headcanon. First day on the internet?
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

"headcanon" holds no more relevance than fanfiction. Especially when in contradicts the source material. There is nothing to debate here. You are simply wrong.

male MC = the only official canon

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Ok male is actual cannon. Hypo and I are still gonna play the female perspective in P3P and pretend female is cannon while we do that. We are also going to vocalize our hopes that she reappears in some future P3 media and we're gonna talk about how we pretend she is cannon in our heads in the same post :v

"headcanon" holds no more relevance than fanfiction. Especially when in contradicts the source material. There is nothing to debate here. You are simply wrong.

male MC = the only official canon
    We are a fan forum. What is wrong with headcanon?

I have no problem with the love for Minako, as I understand where it comes from. When ATLUS took to writing in the Female MC for P3P, they added to it all the writing experience and familiarity with the game systems they'd built up during P3, P3 FES, and P4. In Persona 3, you were never supposed to max every Social Link in a single play through. The game designers probably never considered it or thought it was possible (you have no wiggle room at all in the original, every day has to be perfect or you won't max them all). So the romance choice was meant to be just that, a choice. You did get punishments for running a harem, but every romance option was forced on you to progress the Social Link. When they took the Social Link system further, and made it easier to max multiples, they also gave you the choice to just befriend the romances. They also saw that players wanted more socialization with the party members, and for this reason, Yu had Social Links with everyone in the investigation team in P4. These are just a couple of the features that ATLUS learned a lot while making.

If they had chosen to rewrite Minato's character, we would have seen very comparable quality to what Minako got. ATLUS would have also faced a lot of fan outcry that they reworked it, I think (or they were afraid they were and wanted to test the waters before making bigger changes in P4).

My own headcanon is Minato, with Minako's quality and team interactions, which is what I think we would get if ATLUS were making the game today with their knowledge and experience. I don't see anything wrong with expressing that opinion, nor do I see any need to criticize those who disagree.

As for Minato's return, I must unfortunately point out that the entire S.E.E.S. seems to be wearing Gekkoukan uniforms. And a journey that "transcends space and time" was apparently mentioned somewhere on the Japanese reveal (I can't translate myself and I'm too lazy to search for a credible source). So Time Travel is a distinct possibility.

Though maybe Elizabeth (who we see alongside Theodore, that's new!) completed her journey and rescued him. Ooh, or maybe the time travel is to rescue him! Do we have a Dopple Doll we can swap for him somewhere?
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

There's nothing wrong with "headcanon" as long as that is all it's taken as. Merely fan fiction and nothing more.

Articles
    Blog Entries

There's nothing wrong with "headcanon" as long as that is all it's taken as. Merely fan fiction and nothing more.
    But in this case it isn't just fan fiction, the main selling point of P3P was the female protagonist, they advertised her, and there is separate stories in P3P just for her interactions.

To a certain extent she is canon, she just isn't the one whose story they decided to continue.
    Would you say My dragonborn isn't canon just because she's female even if she made all the same choices as your male dragonborn?

That doesn't even make sense, lol. Atlus is writing the sequels referring to the P3 MC as a "he/him". The path that Atlus follows is the only canon path. It's as simple as that.

Neither my Dragonborn nor yours is official canon, until the creators reveal which path is the canon one. And if they never do, then there is no canon path. The concept of "multiple canons" doesn't exist, nor would it make any sense.

Also, just because you can do something, doesn't make it official. I seriously doubt Cloud was wasting his time racing chocobos when meteor was about to fall. lol

Articles
    Blog Entries

That doesn't even make sense, lol. Atlus is writing the sequels referring to the P3 MC as a "he/him". The path that Atlus follows is the only canon path. It's as simple as that.

Neither my Dragonborn nor yours is official canon, until the creators reveal which path is the canon one. And if they never do, then there is no canon path. The concept of "multiple canons" doesn't exist, nor would it make any sense.

Also, just because you can do something, doesn't make it official. I seriously doubt Cloud was wasting his time racing chocobos when meteor was about to fall. lol
    No, neither of our dragonborn heros are canon, but the dragonborn is canon, and the traits you give to your character decides who they are. Your headcanon is the game.

That's the beauty of a video game, if you decide the hero wants to race chocobos, then they do. Each play-through and each story is different.

Kind of a strange response... I'm not disagreeing with any of that.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Someday I may have to pick up P3P just to see how the female protagonist's stories play out. I'm about 18 hours into my playthrough of FES currently. Hopefully I can beat this and then get a hold of Persona 4 Golden before the new barrage of Persona games come out.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_ffgamer View Post
    Someday I may have to pick up P3P just to see how the female protagonist's stories play out. I'm about 18 hours into my playthrough of FES currently. Hopefully I can beat this and then get a hold of Persona 4 Golden before the new barrage of Persona games come out.
    The female protagonists story is almost the same, but her interactions vary wildly from the original.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

When I said stories, I more meant her social link interactions. I just couldn't think of the words "social link" for some reason.

ATLUS USA just announced that Persona 5 will be released in North America sometime in 2015.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

So long...