Thread: TeamSpeak

Score: 0 out of 2 Dignified Pauper's Avatar

Default TeamSpeak

Because we didn't remember to include the forums...

Server: http://www.eyesonff.com:20182
    Password: F4tCh0c0b0

DOWNLOAD

Tips: Installation, Configuration and General Use
    • You don't need to install Overwolf. I didn't. I understand it's for social media stuff.
    • When finishing, you can uncheck things like "Do you want to rent a server?" or "Do you want a public server list?" or whatever they are. I unchecked everything on the last installation page! It still automatically opens and starts up a setup wizard.
    • When setting the microphone sensitivity, try and get it so that it picks up on your voice, but not your typing. Clack away on your keyboard to be sure. Nobody likes a microphone picking up a lot of heavy breathing, typing, eating and whatnot!
    • Once installed, click on Connections and then Connect. It'll ask you for a server name and password - use the ones listed at the start of this post. Connect - it should take you straight to the Fat Chocobos lobby. There are seperate channels for the individual dungeons should there be two parties doing different dungeons at once.
    • I strongly suggest adding a bookmark for the server to save you a hassle later on.
    • If you right click on a person's name, you can change the volume for individual people. Turn the quieter people up, and the louder people down, and eventually everyone should be at a nice even level so you can play without having trouble hearing people (or deafening yourself).
    • If you're anything like everyone who is playing so far, you'll find you have to turn the volume of the game down dramatically! To do this, go to the game's main menu (generally using Escape) and then select System Configuration, then the sound button (red one on the left) and then decrease the master volume.
    • Best not sit a microphone in front of your speakers as this will cause feedback/echoing. If you have a headset, awesome! So far we've not had any real problems, though.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

We had our first Fat Chocobos dungeon run using TeamSpeak yesterday, basically a trial run in a low level dungeon (in this case, Haukke Manor) so Marick could progress with the storyline. It was pretty awesome, I have to say, and rather hilarious. I don't think I could do this every night at all, but I think doing it on certain nights will prove entertaining at the very least.

I certainly don't think I would use it just for idle chatting when crafting or anything, though, as I don't want to split Fat Chocobos into two groups (those who use TS and those who don't), and I also want people to keep talking in the LS chat as that's the best way to encourage more people to get involved and whatnot.

The next step will be using it in 8 man runs for things like HM primals and dungeons like Praetorium.

EDIT: Fixed up a list of tips for installation & configuration and added it to your post, Marick.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Because I'm ever the contrarian... I don't know why you think that FC wouldn't eventually split between groups? i mean, there are people in the LS I've never chatted with in the LS Chat. And some people get more involved with TS. I think we should encourage both equally? I prefer idle banter over TS vs. typing so that I am less distracted when battling, crafting, etc.

Blog Entries

I'm somewhat decent with TS from GW2 and such.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

We don't have a massive LS as it is. If we split the conversation in any way, we would lose out notably. I also don't want to make people feel pressured to use it when they don't want to because everyone else is using it, or whatever. I don't want people to feel like they are being neglected from conversation or that people are no longer talking to them as they would have before because they are too busy with the TeamSpeak instead and have forgotten about the chat. I know that when I was using TeamSpeak, I pretty much didn't bother with chat at all. There were friends of mine that I literally forgot were online. That's not cool.

I want the chat - as in, the stuff people see in the screen - to be regular and constant. We have great friendships that have been built up over the years through it and many people have stated they aren't interested in voice chatting at all. The biggest thing, though, that has kept our group together is definitely the regular conversation between people when they hop online. There are some people who don't talk much, but when they do, we often jump at the opportunity to get them more involved. I'm told by many that our LS is pretty much the best they know of and many people leave their old free companies after a few days of being in our LS because they feel we're a better, friendlier group of people. Splitting conversation away from the introductions and so forth they might get would be a massive shame.

Again, I still feel TS has it's place in dungeon runs and whatnot when you're all too busy fighting to bother with typing out stuff, but I don't want the place to become the default area for all conversation as that would stop the regular flow of conversation within the currently very active, very successful and very friendly LS.

As the person most responsible for growing the LS and FC, I have to consider that first and foremost.

I can already see the "Oh, you guys are running Titan? Why didn't you invite me? " "Oh, sorry man, we made our group in TS, and you weren't there."

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'm not playing this game right now, I just want to throw in that voice chat is so much nicer, because I still haven't figured out how not to stop everything I'm doing to type in the chat window in these games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

'tis easier when in combat, I agree, but if that excludes half of the people in the LS then it's also going to make people feel segregated/neglected, that's the concern I have. Particularly when the core members of this FC/LS are fairly split between those that do and those that do not want to use voice chat.

I personally am going to hang out in TS. I just think voice chat is the way to go in an MMO, and don't understand how people can play and type at the same time... But a lot of people in the game seem to sit around more so than actually do stuff...

I suppose I have a different philosophy, but if I'm logged in, I'm actively playing and doing stuff, and can't be arsed to interrupt that and chat. Then again, I've already made friends with the likes of EoFF, and I don't really have too big of a concern with making friends, more so having fun people to play with. (there is a difference between those two to me)

Regardless, I think these thoughts of splitting LS chat from TS as a bad thing is more of a fear. I'm not saying we need to promote or force it, but I think these tangents about not wanting it to become default is just as bad. If several people want to, let's not make them feel bad about it by someone saying "Well, we want most of the conversation to be in the LS chat." Let the people do what they want, mayn.

FFXIV Character

Valerna Softpaws (Sargatanas)

I agree with BoB here, everytime people are on ts you see lot less conversation in ls-chat. The ls feels kind of empty in those moments. There are always going to be people who rather not talk in ts because of being shy and/or not liking their voice even not being able to understand English. There are a lot of things to reconsider.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

While I think voice chatting is very useful, especially in dungeon situations, I don't think people should let that prevent that from chatting. I try to do both, if I am TS with the linkshell. The only time I don't is if I am on Skype and partying with friends from university, but even then I still try to pay attention to the in-game chat.

While I do not think voice chat necessarily leads others to ignore in-game chat, it is really dependent on the person. I try to do both and I think in general people should try not to ignore it. Sometimes in-game chat is the only way to ask something when TS is busy too.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Mikeface has set up a new TeamSpeak server - and it's on EoFF's server, too! See the (updated) details in the first post.

Not breaking faith today Shaibana's Avatar
    Blog Entries

(previous comment not relevant anymore)

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

You have to use the details in the start of the post - it's not on any existing listing, it will be a new server that you will need to join using the details there. Let me know if you have any further issues and hopefully I can write out a little more detailed instructions for adding the server. Or someone else if they get to it before I'm home!

Not breaking faith today Shaibana's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    You have to use the details in the start of the post - it's not on any existing listing, it will be a new server that you will need to join using the details there. Let me know if you have any further issues and hopefully I can write out a little more detailed instructions for adding the server. Or someone else if they get to it before I'm home!
    i got it ^^
    i thought i had to search the server in the list, but then i noticed the other teamspeak tab