Thread: References you like or dislike from other Final Fantasy titles

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Default References you like or dislike from other Final Fantasy titles

There's the obvious things you expect to see. Chocobos, moogles, cactuars, bombs, Cid, Biggs and Wedge etc

But I wasn't expecting to see Biggs and Wedge pilot an airship called the Tiny Bronco.

The salute or goodbye wave of Gridania looks like the Blitzball sign for victory, otherwise known as the "praise be to yevon" gesture.

I used a limit break and saw "Braver" show up as well as a see through Buster Sword.

There's a place called Costa Del Sol. I also saw a guy doing squats just like Cloud had to do in the gym.

Looking back on this list, that's a whole lot of FFVII going on. Do you like all the cross references? Or do you feel that it takes away from the games originality?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I think they might be overdoing it.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

MMOs thrive on this sort of thing. Look at WoW - and I guarantee the ARR team did, at great length - and it's easy to conclude this only helps your game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    I think they might be overdoing it.
    I don't think so. It's very easy to gloss over such things for the most part, with few exceptions (eg. place names). Most things are very out of the way or smalltime minor references. I love them when I notice them.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

If I didn't get my own Chocobo and fight cactuars and talk to Moogles and stuff, I don't know if I'd even want to play this game. I want as many references and as much fanservice crammed in as possible. The dragoons look like freaking FF4 Kain and it makes me giggle like a schoolgirl. The battle music starts off with the FF1 battle intro trill and it releases pleasant endorphins in the Final Fantasy region of my brain.

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Unne View Post
    If I didn't get my own Chocobo and fight cactuars and talk to Moogles and stuff, I don't know if I'd even want to play this game. I want as many references and as much fanservice crammed in as possible. The dragoons look like freaking FF4 Kain and it makes me giggle like a schoolgirl. The battle music starts off with the FF1 battle intro trill and it releases pleasant endorphins in the Final Fantasy region of my brain.
    This happened to me x20 when the FF3 battle music plsyed in that early story quest where you fight the 3 galka thugs.

Dragoons looking like Kain is old hat, they did that in FFXI too. The old theme, though, that thar be art.