Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    I actually think a few of the bosses were recycled from previous games. I think all the throwback references are what hurt the difficulty - we've used these items and beat these bosses before; our minds are ready to solve the puzzles before they're even presented to us.
    I do think this is partly true. However, I do think that modern Nintendo games have dialled down the difficulty a lot. It is a lot easier to do this with the advancement of technology.
    I was thinking the same thing. Mario 3D Land comes to mind with how short and straightforward the levels were. It almost seems like a Nintendo-wide policy to make their games more accessible and forgiving.

I think Sky's point on the regenerating stamina mechanic is another piece to the puzzle as to why this game was such a breeze, albeit a refreshing one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I actually think a few of the bosses were recycled from previous games. I think all the throwback references are what hurt the difficulty - we've used these items and beat these bosses before; our minds are ready to solve the puzzles before they're even presented to us.
    I do think this is partly true. However, I do think that modern Nintendo games have dialled down the difficulty a lot. It is a lot easier to do this with the advancement of technology.
    I was thinking the same thing. Mario 3D Land comes to mind with how short and straightforward the levels were. It almost seems like a Nintendo-wide policy to make their games more accessible and forgiving.

I think Sky's point on the regenerating stamina mechanic is another piece to the puzzle as to why this game was such a breeze, albeit a refreshing one.
    I don't think the levels in Link Between Worlds were that much more "straightforward" than most Zelda games are. Puzzle-wise, it's not exactly easier or harder than Link to the Past. Actually, a couple of them I found trickier (namely the Dark Temple). It's certainly no Master Quest or 2nd Quest in terms of design, but it strikes me as about standard for the series.

Having more experience with the general style does make it somewhat easier, but it can also serve to backlash if you ever forget about the wall merging (which made the Sand and Wind rupee dungeon a pain to complete on my first two times playing through, because I kept forgetting that I could wall merge when I reached the three-quarters mark, and therefore was wondering where to go from there).

And, again, the combat and mechanics I put down to general game evolution. I mean, Megaman X is easier than the standard Megaman games. Why? Smoother controls and a little more flexibility, rather than actual level or enemy design. Super Metroid was easier than Metroid. Why? Because you could crouch and shoot, and movement and jumping was smoother.

I think the real reason we don't have more "Nintendo Hard" games is because we have games on better systems with better controls and mechanics.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.