Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

is craaazy good. I picked mine up after work yesterday and it's been pretty hard to put down. The 3D and high frame rate give the game a crispness I haven't quite seen in the Zelda series before now.

I know some people here got it before the U.S. release date, how have people been liking the game?

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Got it and Super Mario 3D World yesterday. I am enjoying both immensely. Like, crazy good. As far as Zelda goes, it's amazing how fresh it feels despite setting it in the same universe as Link to the Past.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Can't wait to play it! I'll probably get it around Christmas time. It indeed looks awesome.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

I'll be getting mine when I get paid, using it as an excuse to get the 3DS XL bundle with the Triforce branded console. Much excite. :3

story-wise I'm close to the end but I have a bunch of sidequesty stuff left to do! i've been playing this game a LOT over the last couple days.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post
    I'll be getting mine when I get paid, using it as an excuse to get the 3DS XL bundle with the Triforce branded console. Much excite. :3
    I'm getting that too! I was gonna get it today, but they were out of chargers so I didn't bother yet. Not sure if I'll order it online or figure out if some other place nearby has a charger.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I'm debating on buying this today. I'm debating really hard. I really want it but i'm super poor.

I played up to where you met Yogo, but haven't had teh chance to do more. I would do more, but I'm drunk right now so I may play Resogun instead!

I do like what I played though. That will be the rest of my day, playing Link between worlds that is, once I wake up!

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

I don't expect much out of Zelda games nowadays, because the DS ones and the Wii ones didn't thrill me. So I'm surprised how much fun I'm having with this one. This is a great game. The gameplay is loads of fun and the presentation is top-notch. There's exploration and discovery and responsive fun combat and danger. Not as much danger as the olden days, but still. This is probably as close as we're ever going to get again.

(SPOILER)I had serious doubts about giving access to all of the old items (hookshot/hammer/etc.) right from the beginning of the game, but they went and set up the world such that those items aren't the obvious answer to every puzzle like they were in LttP. I feel like playing through LttP doesn't set you up to breeze through this game as easily as I expected, which is a very welcome surprise.

This is pretty much end game spoilers right here about what I liked in the ending.

(SPOILER)Okay, I loved that Hilda was basically the main villain, even though you see it coming from damn near the first time you meet her. However, I loved that the motivation behind her actions wasn't out of malice or evil, she just wanted to fulfill her duty and save her kingdom.

I was kind of happy Gannon really didn't have a role in the story outside of being the one who held the Triforce of Power, and thus necessary to complete their goal.

I liked how creative the puzzles could get in the game, though the combat itself, bosses or otherwise, was really easy. I effectively died twice my entire playthrough, and one of those was just me being stupid. (Okay, two other times I reset because I had rented every smurfing item from the guy before I could start buying, so four times I died, two on record. And both deaths were basically me slacking and not paying attention. )

This game, in terms of writing, is in the top three Zelda's for me, falling behind Wind Waker and Majora's Mask.

Articles

I found it to be much shorter than previous installments of the series. Maybe due to the smaller nature of the world map than compared to say skyward sword of Ocarina of time 3D which took me around 40-50 hours to 100%, a link between worlds too me 16 hours. That was upgrading all the weapons, getting all the heart pieces, 9.999 rupees, 99 of all the moster bits etc.

It was a great experience though. I doubt I'll play hero mode though, I'll likely just replay the game sometime down the line.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

The ultimate question: Is the game too easy / too short, or are you too good at video games? I remember LttP being brutal, but I was young and I sucked at video games. This game feels easier, but maybe I got better sometime in the past decade.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I don't think the puzzles are as hard as they were in, say, Link's Awakening and I haven't had any issues with combat either. But then again maybe my brain just immediately knows how to tackle these kinds of puzzles? Idk. I think Nintendo wants its games to be accessible and so they don't take as many tries to beat as they used to.
    Last edited by Bolivar; 11-30-2013 at 01:19 AM.

Yeah, looking back on Link to the Past, I can't say it's really all that much harder then Link Between Worlds is, though it does have the upped difficulty the second play through, though considering you'll easilly breeze the puzzles the second time it seems like a chunk of the fun would be gone from that, so I wish the difficulty jump was available from the get go.

And also, even my first time playing it when it came Out Ocarina didn't take near that long for me to beat, and I'd almost achieved 100% at 16-20 hours, I think you just suck at it Mr. Shauna.

With A Link to the Past being my favourite I can't wait to play this game. It is a pity it does not come out for the normal DS, which I only have, as well, or does it?