Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lightning Returns: With a Whimper

Blog Entries

whoops I said the same thing twice; I'll just edit this post and say this: I might play Lightning Returns, just for the sake of seeing exactly why it's so under-appreciated.
    Or I could just watch someone else play it on youtube.
    Last edited by Black Magic Shopkeeper; 12-03-2013 at 09:54 PM.

• The Sales could increase during Christmas time, as people may be waiting to hold off buying the game till the Christmas Season
    • Still Europe/ 'MERICA ! Sales to go
    • And good
    • So
    • Tried
    • And
    • Sick
    • Of
    • Lightning
    • And
    • Square- Enix
    • Forcing
    • Her
    • Down
    • Our
    • Throats
    • au revoir and don't come back hun

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Totally expected, XIII is a bad number no matter what you do. (I still love Lightning though).

I feel like this is bad news for XV too, after all that game used to be linked to XIII (FF Versus XIII)..

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    Considering that Lightning Returns outsold Super Mario 3D World (which came out the same day) three times over, I'd say this has more to do with Japanese game sales being in a slump altogether, not the fact that it's an FFXIII game.
    Interesting. What about other games out that week? Did it top the charts, or...?
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    Considering that Lightning Returns outsold Super Mario 3D World (which came out the same day) three times over, I'd say this has more to do with Japanese game sales being in a slump altogether, not the fact that it's an FFXIII game.
    Interesting. What about other games out that week? Did it top the charts, or...?
    Mario games do not sell QUICKLY. However, they have have consistent sales which allow them to make millions in the long run. For instance, Super Mario Galaxy, a phenomenally successful game only sold 260k (Mario Sunshine 160k) in its first week in Japan but went to be a multi-million seller. Final Fantasy, and many other franchises, sell a lot in the first week, and their first week sales are usually indicative of how well the game will sale in the long run.... but that is not the case for Mario or other Nintendo franchises.

However, PS3 sales in Japan are actually very weak this year yet they are still robust in NA/EU (probably because of The Last of Us, Beyond: Two Souls, God of War: Ascension, and other Sony exclusives that came out this year...)
    Last edited by Lamia; 12-04-2013 at 07:33 PM.
    Lamia's Tiara- Headgear in FFIX
    Lamia's Flute- Weapon for Eiko in FFIX
    Lamia in FFV- a enemy
    appearance: a lady with long brown hair, wearing a tiara...half woman and half snake.
    Lamia in FF3j- A Harp
    Lamia in FFL2- An enemy
    FF2j Queen Lamia, at one point she even gets Frionel in a bedroom with her and jumps on the bed and says "take me!".. before she turns into her snakey self. She serves as a mini boss in this game (as Queen Lamia).. and after you fight her as a mini boss, regular lamia's become random foes and later on in the game, Queen Lamia's become random foes as well.
    LamiaScl. an item that paralyzes foes.
    According to legend, she was once a Libyan queen (or princess) who fell in love with Zeus. Zeus' jealous wife Hera deformed her into a monster and murdered their offspring. She also made Lamia unable to close her eyes, so that she couldn't find any rest from the obsessing image of her dead children. When Zeus saw what had be done to Lamia, he felt pity for her and gave his former lover a gift: she could remove her eyes, and then put them on again. This way, though sleepless, she could rest from her misfortune. Lamia envied other the other mothers and took her vengeance by stealing their children and devouring them.

I am sure it will sell fine. All do, just not always in comparison.

Blog Entries

This is what happens when you make a game and the title of it is named after the main character. This is also what happens when you make 3 games one right after the other and try make the games and the entire company itself revolve around that one character -.- and the fact that Lightning gets compared to the likes of Cloud is just laughable. Of course using the same ideas over and over again is going to get boring and stale, hopefully this is the last time square enix do this. Time to move on

Quote Originally Posted by CarvingUp360 View Post
    ... and the fact that Lightning gets compared to the likes of Cloud is just laughable. ...
    Which likes of Cloud? Cloud are the only comparable main characters when it comes to a long story and a power to even match god-like entities. I won't spoil here.

Cloud never fought any gods. The only thing resembling a god in VII would be Omega Weapon and that's Chaos Vincent's territory.

But it doesn't matter. Power is quite irrelevant. Cloud is nothing like Lightning and he never has been. They just want to try and make Lightning "iconic" and the only way the dunderheads at Square can think to achieve this is to shove her in our faces as much as they can.

Cloud became more famous than Lightning with just one gme. Why? Because his game was actually good.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    Cloud never fought any gods. The only thing resembling a god in VII would be Omega Weapon and that's Chaos Vincent's territory.

But it doesn't matter. Power is quite irrelevant. Cloud is nothing like Lightning and he never has been. They just want to try and make Lightning "iconic" and the only way the dunderheads at Square can think to achieve this is to shove her in our faces as much as they can.
    Considering how powerful Sephiroth has become, is officially stated as the most powerful, absorbed the Ancient's knowledge, can partially control the lifestream, has an indestructable and unbeatable will and all, Cloud fought a god. And Sephiroth is nothing else than Omega. He is a collective of lifestream power plus his own power, Omega+ if you want. If people consider Kefka being a god or anything else with supernatural power, then he is, too. Plus, you forgot Minerva. She is an actual "goddess" when it comes to the entity.

You seem pretty mad but the "they want to try it" and "Cloud's game has been good" is nothing but your opinion because based on what exists, they have not just tried but succeeded and that it is good think many people. It is okay to not like her or Final Fantasy XIII but such mad comments are unnecessary.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 12-08-2013 at 03:18 PM.

People call Kefka a god because he absorbed the power of three goddesses.

And Minerva is an unknown. We know what Omega is - he is the sum total of all the power gathered in the Lifestream. He IS the Planet while Sephiroth's ultimate ambition, which he failed at, was to become that kind of being. Omega is what Sephiroth wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    People call Kefka a god because he absorbed the power of three goddesses.

And Minerva is an unknown. We know what Omega is - he is the sum total of all the power gathered in the Lifestream. He IS the Planet while Sephiroth's ultimate ambition, which he failed at, was to become that kind of being. Omega is what Sephiroth wanted to be.
    No, Kefka is also called a god, because he became the ruler of magic (which was also created by gods) and because a Tzen guy says "Kefka's up there. And he's using the power of the statues. He's like a god ...". That is exactly what Sephiroth became. He rules the source of something. Sephiroth absorbed the power of how to use magic, which is the knowledge of the Cetra. And even the power of life by becoming immune to it and absorbing it since he has all time he needs. Minerva is not unknown, I don't know where you get that but she is the goddess Genesis speaks about. Also, Omega is not what Sephiroth wanted. Not the Omega of Dirge of Cerberus. Omega is a WEAPON, as stated in the Ultimania, no god as in godly entity if that is what you mean. The ultimate WEAPON is about to be created with the help of Chaos when the planet is about to die. Omega materializes out of the whole lifestream, flies to another planet and vanishes to become the lifestream there again. Omega in Dirge of Cerberus was an incarnation, summoned by tricking the planet. It materialized out of just a bit and was connected to the whole lifestream automatically dragging it with it. It is the lifestream's feet. Sephiroth himself wants the whole lifestream as well and still has his own power since he is written with the concept of exponential power increase (his mind cannot break since it is indestructable and from gathering more information he becomes more powerful, also strenghtening his mind again, plus his core is made more indestructable by linking himself to Cloud) as well as the Ultimania says thet Sephiroth's whole appearance was made like it is because of that kind of entity he has become and all that stuff is completely irrelevant because of Square Enix' own statement that he is the most powerful Final Fantasy VII entity and what they say - and that is the basis of my comments - is superior to what we say since they own the brand. That is axiomatic.

Anyway, this discussion is over. I don't want any more "PuPu"-like discussions since almost all of these misunderstandings come up because of only half of the information and the wrong context. Read all stuff and then write me a PM or don't, it is your decision. I am done here.

No hard feelings, however.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 12-08-2013 at 04:40 PM.