Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2678910111213141516171822 ... LastLast

Thread: EoFF's Top Games of the Generation: Revelations

Articles
    Blog Entries

Yeah, that's one of the things I like about 2 and 3 over 1. It's easier to duck behind cover and shoot from there.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Wow, I'm shocked ME2 isn't further up on the list. I thought it had a good chance of being number 1! Needless to say, I loved this game and it was on my list. Building your team for the suicide mission was a lot of fun and poking your nose in other planetary business was fun as well. The cast was well-rounded and the story had some interesting decisions for you to make. Combat was fun too, especially for my Sentinel who had a mix of biotic and tech powers.

Final Fantasy XIII was not a terrible game, but it had a lot of flaws I couldn't get over. The pros were the graphics and main cast and maybe the story. The cons were the linearity (which I don't mind in RPGs but not when you are literally running down a corridor for 75% of the maps), lack of interesting side characters, and atmosphere. Unlike others, I didn't care for this battle system either. I thought it was too AI driven and lacked control. I also didn't really like the music as much as some of you.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    Finally something I nominated made it on the list and is well deserved. It's a worthy sequel to the first one and improve on the factors I didn't care too much for in the first game and the Collectors made their presence felt every time they made an appearance. BioWare losing the rights to make Star Wars games for a while is the best thing that ever happened since that what led to them developing the first Mass Effect.
    Yes, finally...

I'm kind of surprised that Dragon Age only got 1 vote (although I don't think I voted for it, hard to remember these days).

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Nah Mass Effect 2 was better. Yay finally something I voted for! And of course my fav game series.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Mass Effect 3 was a little bit of a letdown for me. We've waited two games now to see the Reapers and they're mostly just kept in the background. Cerberus feels more like the main villains in this game because they're a more imposing threat throughout. And the beginning was like, "Oh no it's the Reapers, you know it's sad because a kid died and sad music is playing. Cry!"

I still like it and had fun playing but I can see why people would choose 2 over it.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    I'm kind of surprised that Dragon Age only got 1 vote (although I don't think I voted for it, hard to remember these days).
    It was probably Jessweeee's vote, though I'm not sure if she voted. We'll know for sure if we see The World Ends with You up there.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Same here. I didn't vote for it, but it was a pretty good game.

The one problem I had with ME2 is the final battle, particularly the fact that the last boss is just a big robot that was supposed to be a mighty reaper (even if not fully constructed). I was expecting something else, but eh. It was almost 10/10 for me.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
    2010 - PSP
    6 Nominations

Warning! This speech was written by a massive Kingdom Hearts nerd.

Birth By Sleep often gets the title of best Kingdom Hearts game ever. Not that it is terribly difficult to improve upon the slog that we had received beforehand. 358/2 Days, Re: Coded, and Chain of Memories weren’t bad games, they just weren’t as good as the original Kingdom Hearts. Coming up to Birth By Sleep, I was excited because I love KH, but I was also a little bit hesitant. Would I be getting myself into another Days? More repetitive and uninspiring mission based gameplay? BbS took me by surprise when I had a fully fleshed out game, with interesting characters and some cool new worlds to visit.

We follow the story of Ventus, Terra and Aqua as they travel through the worlds under the watchful eye of the totally unsuspicious Lord Xehanort. You do have to play through the game three times to get the full story, as the three characters’ tales intertwine to give us a full picture. Although I accuse Days of being repetitive, the fact that you play BbS three times was not that much of a bother to me. It helps that for the most part you do experience different stories and often different areas of the world in each story, so it doesn’t feel like you’re retreading the same ground again and again. The new Disney worlds were good to see, and it works really well as a prequel. For example, in Enchanted Dominion we see how Maleficent got to where she was in the original Kingdom Hearts.

The new main characters are all fairly engaging. My only complaint is that Aqua, who was my favourite of the three, kind of fell by the wayside throughout the story, not really doing… anything. She just chased after Ventus and Terra, and didn’t really have her “own story”, although she start to come into her own at the end of the game. I am hoping that in future she will have a bigger part to play, as Ventus and Terra have already made a few reappearances. It has been heavily implied along the way that she will be back, so yay for that. Bring on Number 3.
    The revamp of the battle system is also a great addition to the game. It streamlines the already existing battle system making it smoother, by adding a whole new layer of customisation to the battles with the command deck. What skills you have equipped determines what special moves you can use.

I wouldn’t recommend starting here if you haven’t played Kingdom Hearts, but if you are a fan you do need to play it. It’s coming in ReMix 2.5, so if you haven’t had the chance to play it because of Squeenix’s inability to keep this series on any one console, give it a few more months and pick it up on the PS3. Unless you don’t have a PS3, then… maybe someday?

Civilization IV (3)
    League of Legends (2)
    Final Fantasy: Dissidia (2)
    Spelunky (2)
    Super Mario Galaxy 2 (1)
    Distant Worlds (1)
    Pokemon Soul Silver (1)
    Epic Mickey (1)
    Gears of War 2 (1)
    Record of Agarest War (1)

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    Spelunky (2)
    -high fives whoever else it was that nominated Spelunky-

Not surprise to see a Kingdom Hearts on here, this franchise is crazy hot. I only played the first game in the series. Meant to get around to playing the second but I never got around to it.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

The best things about Mass Effect 2:
    Charge + Shotgun
    Letting all of your squadmates die.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    It was probably Jessweeee's vote, though I'm not sure if she voted. We'll know for sure if we see The World Ends with You up there.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Deus Ex: Human Revolution (3)
    Mirror's Edge (4)
    Civilization IV (3)
    I tried so hard and got so far but in the end it doesn't even matter

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

These wounds won't seem to heal
    This pain is just too real
    There's just too much that time cannot erase

Your own fault, Civ 4 still had a major SoD problem and square-based movement. I don't care what other flaws it had, Civ 5 is automatically better for those reasons.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I'd have liked to see Mirror's Edge hit the top. It was a pretty brilliant game.

If only more of you nerds had nominated!