Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

The War Z has totally got this, hands down.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I can't remember if I nominated this or not. Too lazy to go back and look.

Articles
    Blog Entries

When Skyrim came out it was insane, I think it swept a lot of awards that year. But a year or two later, the big phrase I hear about it is "as wide as an ocean and as deep as a puddle." I have 33 hours on it so far and I can't really call it either way. I only got it a few months ago and I've had a lot of other games to play, especially now with new consoles. Morrowind and Oblivion hooked me much deeper but I can't say whether it was because I just had less to play at the time. But when I first started the game, it was really insane to see how far the series had come.

I primarily nominated it over Oblivion because I figured it was the one in the series that everyone would vote for. I did the same for Call of Duty 4 but apparently it didn't make it on here?

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    Minecraft got 3 votes, eh? Anyway, as I said, massive AAA bias.
    Wasn't a AAA bias that kept me from voting for it. I haven't actually played it, and games like it usually bore the crap out of me anyway so I really have no interest in going out of my way to play it. If I want to build stuff with blocks I'll break out my damn Lego.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Wasn't a AAA bias that kept me from voting for it. I haven't actually played it, and games like it usually bore the crap out of me anyway so I really have no interest in going out of my way to play it. If I want to build stuff with blocks I'll break out my damn Lego.
    It isn't bias from any individual member, it is a somewhat unavoidable collective bias based on the method of selection.

Minecraft is like Lego except much cheaper and all your friends can do it with you and you never run out of pieces and it doesn't take up your entire room and the Lego plays with you, too. I'm not saying you should play it (you may very well find it boring) but I don't like the analogy much.

I could say "if I liked running and jumping, I'd pull out my track shoes" but that would obviously be silly.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

That would be silly since running and jumping in the real world isn't really the same thing, while playing with blocks in a game like Minecraft is almost exactly the same thing, just with infinite pieces and less variety in the pieces. I won't deny some people have made some really cool stuff in Minecraft, but I have no interest in putting any effort into that sort of game. The only reason Lego even interests me is for the tactile aspect of taking the pieces and building something I can physically interact with. If I wanted to build stuff in a game I'd probably take up 3D modeling or building levels in games I like. Minecraft just doesn't have much appeal to me.

Oh, I forgot that you can also delve into the Lego world and explore it in the game.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    Too bad that someone with such normally good taste could like Frozen Synapse so much. I hated that game.
    How can you possibly think Frozen Synapse is bad? It's an amazing game.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Honestly, Minecraft wasn't something I saw the appeal in until I finally caved and tried it out.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

And so we have it, Eyes on. The number one game from this generation as voted by you.

What game could have beaten out all the previous?

Winner of over 200 Game of the Year awards in 2009

The most critically acclaimed game of 2009…

The number one game of generation seven is…

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
    2009 – PS3
    10 Nominations

Uncharted 2 swept nearly every Game of the Year award in 2009. Personally, I was sceptical that a Western action game could really be that good, but it was. From the opening museum heist in Istanbul, to the final escape from the collapsing ruins of Shangri-La, the game was filled with heart-pounding moments from start to finish. It complemented its breath-taking cinematics with unprecedented interactivity, with some players failing its gameplay segments because they didn't expect to still have control of Drake. Not only was the game gorgeous to look at it, it also had some of the most fluid and satisfying combat in an action game to date.

Uncharted 2 improved on the formula of the first game, and unlike the third game, was paced just right, and didn't jar the player with too many transitions to other parts of the world.

With its superb polish, endearing cast, and unforgettable set pieces, Uncharted 2 is not just emblematic of the seventh generation, it was also a major turning point, when Sony slimmed down the PlayStation 3, cut its price, and released a classic that all gamers could rally around. Naughty Dog started something great, and it resulted in the quintessential action game of the generation.

And there we have it folks, the number one game. Happy? Think another game was cheated out of the title (well, except from Mirror's Edge, we all know that one was forgotten)?

When I get back from my team dinner out, I'll post up a full list of all the games nominated for you all.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Woohoo! Happy enough with that.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Never played so I'm indifferent.

Only thing that bugs me about the list is Final Fantasy XIII being mentioned in the same breath as Mass Effect 2.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Never played any Unchartered game, truth be told. However it is a damn shame Minecraft didn't do better, as one of the people who voted for it!