Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123456781222 ... LastLast

Thread: EoFF's Top Games of the Generation: Revelations

Blog Entries

Final Fantasy on a Final Fantasy fan forum?! How can this be!?

Having taken the high road to snootily look down on the expansions of VII's universe, I confess to never playing Crisis Core. Too many angsty pretty men for my tastes!

Edit: The previous thread should have been EoFF's Top Games of the Generation: Brotherhood, in hindsight.
    Last edited by Madonna; 11-29-2013 at 07:07 PM.

I liked VII: Crisis Core, and thought it was one of the best spin-offs of the series. I really did not play many games this generation to compare it to though. Now that the prices have dropped I'm just getting around to playing this generation, and retrying some games I was more negative about at release. I'm going to use the outcome of this list as a starting point of games to try, lol.

I know..shocker. I love how on my Tolkien message board there are death match up fights and if you vote for anyone other than a Tolkien character it's blasphemy, even if they would totally die a thousand deaths. The power of fans can make anything better than it really is.

Quote Originally Posted by Madonna View Post

Having taken the high road to snootily look down on the expansions of VII's universe, I confess to never playing Crisis Core. Too many angsty pretty men for my tastes!
    Last edited by Elskidor; 11-29-2013 at 07:12 PM.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Madonna View Post

Crisis core doesn't subscribe to that part of FF, Crisis Core would rather go play some baseball or do some squats than talk to the emo kids. Despite being very depressing, it is also one of the most upbeat ff games at the same time.

Edit: As Mr. Shauna (semantics) put below, Zack is simply the most optomistic and energetic character in the history of FF. He is also a badass, but unintentionally, he's just really powerful.
    Even when he has been betrayed repeatedly, stabbed, and shot repeatedly, he remains cheerful, ever looking to the sky.
    Last edited by Hollycat; 11-29-2013 at 08:48 PM.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Articles

It is super depressing for plot sake, but Zack is such an energetic character it balances it out. Esepecially with characters like Arieth

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Hypoallergenic Chie View Post
    Edit: As Shauna put below.
    It's taken 7 months, but it's finally happened. I have been mistaken for shauna [lol]
    Last edited by Dat Matt; 11-29-2013 at 07:53 PM.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I've never played it so I that wasn't a vote from me!

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shauna View Post
    It is super depressing for plot sake, but Zack is such an energetic character it balances it out. Esepecially with characters like Arieth

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Hypoallergenic Chie View Post
    Edit: As Shauna put below.
    It's taken 7 months, but it's finally happened. I have been mistaken for shauna [lol]
    What's my prize?
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Nah, I'm going purely by the number of nominations a game received. The system doesn't come into play - there may be no games on this list for the Wii, for example, if they didn't receive enough nominations. I was just throwing that information up as well, because why not. :}

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Grin

Bah, you tease. I thought I was going to get the whole list, not one game at a time! I didn't send you my nominations very slowly, drawing out the "reveal" over several days of nominating

Articles
    Blog Entries

Wait, is Crisis Core #1 or #20, I'm confused.

Never played the game and forgot all about it until recently, but I watched all the cutscenes on YouTube. The story was pretty good, until they added Genesis in the reactor scene where Sephiroth goes nuts.

Edit: just saw Jinx's post.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Calliope View Post
    Bah, you tease. I thought I was going to get the whole list, not one game at a time! I didn't send you my nominations very slowly, drawing out the "reveal" over several days of nominating
    You could have done so if you wanted! But yes, just a few days. Makes things more interesting this way. BoB never got to me, I was always planning on something like this.

And this is bottom of the list - we will be working our way to #1!

Articles
    Blog Entries

He's trying to be like George R. R. Martin. I expect #19 to be revealed in the next six to eight weeks after 25 favorite video game characters are killed in horrible ways and we get some guy on guy and incest in-between reveals.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Journey
    2012 – PS3
    5 Nominations

Journey is significant for many reasons. Its seamless and anonymous multiplayer breaks down barriers of communication, rather than putting up more as one would expect. When players are no longer able to chat with each other through headsets or communicate in a traditional manner, they begin to improvise, and that's where much of the brilliance of Journey shines. Because players are united under one common goal, which is simply to move forward, most find themselves cooperating and helping each other almost instinctively. When you first come across another player in the game's empty, barren world, a reaction triggers that is almost instinctual. This figure, the only other thing which looks like you on the landscape, piques your curiosity, and you end up banding together to reach your journey's end.

Comrades can die along the way, or you can become separated in some of the game's later levels, and the sense of loss is surprising for a game with no spoken dialogue or character development to speak of. It's human interaction, companionship, and interaction distilled to its purest and simplest level, and for that reason Journey brings something to the table that can touch many people.

The art design and music are fantastic as well, with its soundtrack actually winning a Grammy award (the first video game soundtrack to do so). And though it is very pretty to look at and hear, the gameplay itself is no slouch either. While it is quite easy and it is impossible to truly die in the game, it is the positive reinforcement and encouragement of cooperation that makes the game engaging. By working together, players can help to show each other the way to an out-of-reach object, and collecting these objects becomes yet another shared goal that brings players together. Flying is a delight in the game's world, and a later segment in which you are flying over mountains is one of the most gorgeous seen in a game this generation. The game provides a focus on platforming, with minor stealth and puzzle-solving elements strewn throughout, in a way that feels focused and deliberate.

The game's length is another point where Journey innovates, clocking in at only around 2 hours. However, the game is meant to be played in a single sitting, and because you never know who you will be paired with during your adventure, the experience is different each time, making the game highly replayable.

Overall, Journey is perhaps the peak of indie game design on consoles this generation. Its beautiful visuals and music coupled with its innovative online component and focused design make it one of the most compelling experiences this generation has had to offer, and has brought video games one step closer to being accepted in the mainstream as art.

Some more games that didn't quite reach the threshold:

Tomb Raider (4)
    Portal 2 (3)
    Guild Wars 2 (2)
    Professor Layton and the Curious Village (2)
    Football Manager 2012 (1)
    Bioshock 2 (1)
    Batman Arkham City (1)
    Borderlands (1)
    The Last Story (1)
    Protect Me Knight (1)
    Last edited by Shauna; 11-29-2013 at 10:06 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Never heard of it, but I'm sure the journey getting here, was well worth it.

Gotta love games that offer themselves to puns.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I have issues with numbering them, as there are multiple games that share the same number of nominations. So between #19 and #20 it just comes down to whatever one I feel like posting first. To get around this, I decided just to forget about it and ascend through the nominations!

Football Manager 2012, can't even imagine who might have voted for that one.