Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151929 ... LastLast

Thread: EoFF's Top Games of the Generation: Revelations

Articles
    Blog Entries

Huh, no wonder I was specifically asked to look into Assassin's Creed II.

The Old Skool Warrior LocoColt04's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Crysanthe Mariveaux (Ultros)

Who the hell nominated Nintendogs?

BECAUSE THAT PERSON NEEDS A BROFIST.

One of the top-selling games of the generation. Seriously.
    As of March 31, 2013, the combined sales of all versions has reached 23.94 million and it is now second on the Nintendo DS best-sellers list behind New Super Mario Bros.
    IR Information : Sales Data - Top Selling Software Sales Units - Nintendo DS Software
    It's genuinely good. :3

I'm really surprised about the Uncharted games not making the cut. Is it 2 that is still in the race? Not that I'm a fan, but I thought they were real popular games on EoFF.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Assassin's Creed was good, but there's only so many games in one franchise that you can put on a top games list and ACII is the one that deserves to make the cut.

I'm kinda miffed Dota 2 didn't make it, it's very rare that we get games with this extreme depth of game mechanics and skill but I understand why it wouldn't fit into our forum's niche. It also just officially released a few months ago and it's best days are certainly still ahead of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    I'm kinda miffed Dota 2 didn't make it, it's very rare that we get games with this extreme depth of game mechanics and skill but I understand why it wouldn't fit into our forum's niche. It also just officially released a few months ago and it's best days are certainly still ahead of it.
    Also it isn't the best game at what it does.

Point the first: Denying is an actively bad game mechanic. It forces players to do things that aren't fun, because they have to, because it's the only way to compete. Games that are GOOD games make players do the things that they actually like doing; the things that are fun.

Point the second: The game is based on DotA (obviously) but it doesn't fix the things that were wrong with DotA. It doesn't change the fact that there's not enough to do for the first few minutes. It doesn't change even the mechanical choices that were literally nothing but limitations of the Warcraft 3 engine - for instance, Axe's Counter Helix triggers at the beginning of an animation, rather than when he's actually hit. Why? Because that was a coding limitation in WC3. So they copied it and kept it exactly in Dota 2, rather than fixing it. There are many, many more. I don't feel the need to enumerate them.

I loved DotA, I played thousands upon thousands of games of it; but League of Legends is simply a better game, and I'd be very surprised if it wasn't picked to be on this list. Arguably, it's the game that should be at the very top of the list; certainly would be in terms of real world popularity.

Dota 2 isn't something you play through and finish; you're always choosing between it and LoL, unlike a type of game like an RPG where you play one, then play the next one. You could reasonably have 2 RPGs in a personal list; I find it harder to make the case for 2 MOBAs (or 2 MMOs of the same style, or 2 deathmatch-based FPSes, etc), and so the better one gets on the list.

You should update the first post with a list of revealed games so far.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Assassin's Creed is okay. It's not super great. You only play Assassin's Creed so you can play Assassin's Creed II.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    Assassin's Creed is okay. It's not super great. You only play Assassin's Creed so you can play Assassin's Creed II.
    I was told you didn't have to play the first one to understand the second.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    I was told you didn't have to play the first one to understand the second.
    Desmond's story takes place over the whole series (apart from ACIV I believe) but each numbered title starts a new ancestor's memories. There's a summary for what's going on in present time at the beginning of each game, but I mean you could have just read the wiki page if you were going to skip it anyway. So yeah you don't really have to play the first to get the second.

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by LocoColt04 View Post
    Who the hell nominated Nintendogs?

BECAUSE THAT PERSON NEEDS A BROFIST.

One of the top-selling games of the generation. Seriously.
    As of March 31, 2013, the combined sales of all versions has reached 23.94 million and it is now second on the Nintendo DS best-sellers list behind New Super Mario Bros.
    IR Information : Sales Data - Top Selling Software Sales Units - Nintendo DS Software
    It's genuinely good. :3
    Good sales doesn't equate to a good game, not that I am saying Nintendogs is bad as I have never played it, just that because one person likes it and it has good sales doesn't make it a great game.

For example I personally think FFVII is the best game in the series (it's my opinion, please don't try to dissuade me from this) and indeed the most bitter competition often comes from people who hold Final Fantasy VI as the best of the series. Based on sales alone VII would rip that apart with a sales figure of 9.8m (highest sales of any final fantasy game ever).

Source: Top 10 in Sales - Final Fantasy - VGChartz

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by I Took the Red Pill View Post
    You should update the first post with a list of revealed games so far.
    Good idea. :}

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete for President View Post
    I'm really surprised about the Uncharted games not making the cut. Is it 2 that is still in the race? Not that I'm a fan, but I thought they were real popular games on EoFF.
    Uncharted 2, generally regarded as the best in the series, is indeed still in the running.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Probably gonna get a lot of commentary about this one. So much so that I have two speeches to post up about it! Next up...

Final Fantasy XIII
    2009 – PS3, Xbox 360
    6 Nominations

It's easy to lose sight of things in a world as wide as this one, but if you keep going you are sure to find what you are looking for sooner or later.

Final Fantasy 13 was perhaps the weakest of the numbered final fantasy games. Many criticised the battle system, the linearity, the lack of side quests and the confusing plot. While all these are true, there is still something about FF13 I find so endearing.

While there are many opinions about the battle system, I for one am a big fan. The ability to jump between 6 individual roles and 3 characters per battle offers over 600 variants of style to choose from for you battle (while it suffers from the same issue FF10 and FF12 had of everyone having the same abilities in end game). Changing up the system mid battle to give an edge leads to the fast paced nature of the battle system and is a change from the traditional turn based systems and leads to a more fluid experience.

One of the greatest joys I received from FF13 was from the monster hunting side quest. Find a stone, locate a tough monster and test your skills. This proved very challenging especially if you were attempting a low level Neochu battle.

One of the main issues with Final Fantasy 13 for me is the plot. To this day, I still don't really understand what happened in the game. I just know that there was a bad dude who needed to be smote and that was enough for me.

The best part of FF13 however is the soundtrack. The soundtrack is glorious.

Blinded by Light

The Yaschas Massif

Desperate Struggle

Chocobo Theme

All in all, Despite its flaws, FF13 is next-gen Final Fantasy. It may have been designed to cater to the Call of Halo 2: Bad Company market that developed during this generation which is why it feels so drastically different from previous iterations of the series, however it still has the same core of a final fantasy game: Dumb hair, an adventure to kill a bad guy, and chocobos.

Go on, one more song.

The Sunleth Waterscape
    And number two...

We've talked about this one to death to be perfectly honest. I've talked about it, WK talked about it, all of you talked about it. Frankly, I'm not going to say anything new about it and I'm sick of talking about it so I'm going to talk about something else:

The 2013 Hyundai Accent.

You take one look at it and you think "oh, well this looks pretty sporty," or "I bet this is fun to drive." Just look at it. It's got all of these lines in the body work making it look all sleek and aerodynamic I guess. And it's headlamps look angry like it's just waiting to run over a pedestrian, or at the very least the neighbours dog. But you couldn't be more wrong if you said that insurance companies running healthcare is a good thing.

To start, once you get past the exterior there's just not a whole lot there. You'll be excited as anything when you first jump in and turn that ignition key, but you'll be terribly disappointed when you find that you've put the accelerator to the floor and had time to start and finish reading Game of Thrones by the time you make it to 60mph.

But since it's small and looks sporty, surely it must be fun to drive around a turn? Except you'd be wrong again. The suspension is too soft, and because it's so slow, you'll never be at the edge of your seat wondering if you're going to stick a corner. It won't be a problem because, like so many television dramas, you're not really going anywhere very quickly. And when you do get there you'll wonder why you bothered while wiping away the tears of boredom.

Performance is a no go, but surely their must be something about this car to like. Perhaps the interior is well adorned with all sorts of switches, shiny chrome, perhaps some leather here and there? But there's the final nail in the coffin. Scratch the cars misleading surface and what are you left with? Drab grey plastic interior panels, drab grey fabric seats, and beyond your standard air con and climate controls and iPod connectivity, there's not much else. Underneath that flashy green exterior trying to fool you into thinking this car is something special, there's just not much depth to speak of. No fancy touch screens, sat nav, or leather trim. Just a whole bunch of boring grey.

But worst of all, for such a tiny car, it's fuel economy is just too good. Set out on a full tank of petrol and your trip will last far longer than you will. By the end you'll be begging for someone to syphon your tank while you drain the old gentleman's sausage at the next petrol station, if only so the dreariness will end. But that person, desperate for fuel and short on money never arrives. No matter how many gods you plead to.

So in short, I can't recommend this car at all. It may be a bit pricier, but buy a Ford Focus ST instead. 120 more horsepowers under the hood, 170 more torques, and an exterior that isn't lying to your face.

PS: BoB's stupid.

And some more runner ups:
    Mirror's Edge (4)
    Kirby's Epic Yarn (2)
    Super Smash Bros Brawl (2)
    Sleeping Dogs (2)
    Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed (1)
    LEGO: Lord of the Rings (1)
    Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions (1)
    Dynasty Warriors 8 (1)
    Tribes Ascend (1)
    Rayman Origins (1)

O
    Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    The only game on the list I played so far and it turns out to be a joke.

I was the only one who nominated Darksiders, eh? Shame.
    I nominated Darksiders II.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    If I had remembered, I would have nominated Dreamfall: The Longest Journey. That was a superb game and really opened up a whole new avenue of gaming experiences for me.
    Same here, the game was a bit short though.
    Last edited by Gamblet; 12-01-2013 at 12:14 PM.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

I was close to nominating Darksiders.

The best part of FF13 however is the soundtrack. The soundtrack is glorious.
    This much is true. Blinded By Light ranks pretty high on the list of best FF battle themes. Not the top, but pretty high.