Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678910111525 ... LastLast

Thread: EoFF's Top Games of the Generation: Revelations

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    I cannot believe there is anybody who doesn't believe that XCOM is objectively an incredible game. The only excuse I can think of was that it was too hard but I would bet my right hand that Dark Souls features on this list. If you haven't played this game I strongly suggest you do; it will likely be on sale during this Steam Sale and it is imperative that you try it. Play it on easy mode, if need be, but the challenge is what makes it marvellous.
    How about the excuse that it is absolutely the buggiest game I have ever played (and I have played some buggy games in my time)?

Look, the game was fun, I really enjoyed playing through it, and I'm glad I bought it. But it suffers from a few things:

1. Awful, literally game-breaking bugs. I didn't really do anything weird or abnormal; I broke my game and had to reload a previous save 3 times before I could finish the game from bugs that didn't let me proceed. What if I was playing Iron Man? That's a game over.

2. "Questionable" (to put it nicely) balance. Well, really, there isn't balance. I guess that's fine, it's not really designed to need balance, but it still would have been nice to not have a few particular strategies and skills be flat-out better than anything else. Good luck finding someone who declines to user a Double Tap Sniper with Squad Sight, for instance, if they know what that actually does.

3. Unnecessary mini-games involving shooting down UFOs. Why? Adds nothing. Guess it doesn't detract either, except for wasting my time.

Again: I liked the game, I'm glad I played it, and I think it is good. But I can easily see why someone wouldn't have picked it for this list.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Hypoallergenic Chie View Post
    I forgot to nom
    >Complains about every game on the list
    >Didn't nominate

A single set of nominations could have seriously changed how this list looked. What would you have nominated, if you'd remembered?

Now that I am awake, I will be posting another one soon.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Xenoblade Chronicles
    2010 - Wii
    5 Nominations

Is it any wonder that Xenoblade Chronicles is hailed as one of the greatest games of this generation?

With striking visuals, a great story, compelling characters, an addictive battle system and oh so much more, it is no wonder the game has continues to be highly sought after. It has a wonderful story with great twists, and a great supporting cast. Your team members have a lot of fun customization, keeping them varied yet always in ways that make sense for their character.

I suppose here is a good place to mention that this was one of the games in Operation Rainfall, a movement to get three JRPGs released in the NA region, as for some reason Nintendo decided that Americans wouldn’t want these games. Out of the three that were released, Xenoblade Chronicles seems to be the most highly rated and most highly sought after. The fact that this game has appeared here on this list is proof in itself that they made the right decision in the end, as it is considered by many to be the best Wii game to have come out.

If any game deserves an HD remake, it is this one for the fun and unique and imaginative visuals, which shows that art design is more important to a game looking great than graphics.

Summing it up: it has over-sized everything, in an almost PS2 realm of RPG perfection.

~

Final Fantasy XIII-2 (4)
    Crusader Kings II (3)
    Dreamfall: The Longest Journey (2)
    Bioshock Infinite (2)
    World of Warcraft (1)
    Aion (1)
    Wii Sports (1)
    Meteos (1)
    The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (1)
    Radiant Historia (1)

Good god, I saw "Journey" at the end of the Dreamfall title and was terrified that I'd messed up the tally.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Really glad to see the first three make this list. Haven't played any of the Xeno-games, but have heard very good things.

Gutted to see some of my selections not make it, but to be fair, I wasn't expecting them to.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I haven't played Xenoblades, but judging from the fact it costs twice what it did when it came out in stores now, and the only other game I can think of that ever did that was Persona 4, it must be really good.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

How much collector's will pay for a rare game is a really bad way to judge their quality. Mostly because the typical collector is an idiot.

Note that I'm making no statement on the quality of Xenoblade Chronicles since I haven't played it.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

With the possible exception of Halo 3 nothing I have nominated has been mentioned yet

I can't remember if I nominated Halo 3 but given how much of my life I wasted playing the damn thing it seems like the sort of thing I should've done.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    Crusader Kings II (3)
    HELL YES THREE, THIS ONE WASN'T JUST MYSELF AND MY FIANCE

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Guess who nominated WoW.

HintMe.

Also surprised Dreamfall didn't get more either

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Hey the first game I nominated to make it (Xenoblade) and the first game I nominated to not make it (Radiant Historia).

Xenoblade Chronicles was the best JRPG of this generation. That's not saying a whole lot, but even in a more prosperous era it would have held it's own. I loved the characters, battles and story. The story in particular took some really interesting twists that I didn't see coming. The abilities of the characters were pretty diverse and made for several unique party set-ups. I'm getting the urge to fire this up now and try to beat some super bosses.

For those of you that like RPGs and didn't play it, give Radiant Historia for DS a try. It plays like a SNES RPG made for this era and it's really fun. There is a time travel aspect to it, but it's done really well and not disjointed like some other RPGs mentioned in that list above... The battles have a unique grid system that allows you to stack enemies and hit them all at once with the right abilities. I had a lot of fun with it.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Fallout 3
    2008 - PC, PS3, Xbox 360
    5 Nominations

Blog Entries

This five-nomination tier is pretty varied. I can accept most of the winners, despite missing some of the cooler nominations (Radiant Historia, Protect Me Knight, et cetera).

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Love Fallout.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I tried Fallout: New Vegas but it wasn't my thing. I didn't really like the interface. I assume Fallout 3 is similar?

Also, that was a crap speech for this game!

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    I tried Fallout: New Vegas but it wasn't my thing. I didn't really like the interface. I assume Fallout 3 is similar?

Also, that was a crap speech for this game!
    It's a crap game.