Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Thread: First time player!

Articles
    Blog Entries

One slight gameplay tip I could give is to generally prioritize equipment that pushes base stats over direct stats (as in, rather have something that increases Strength rather than Attack). And don't underestimate the Spirit stat, it can actually come in handy quite a bit.

Really wish I'd known both these things before having played the game.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I'll agree with stealing as well. You can get a new weapon for Zidane even before the opening cinematics are done by stealing from your first battle.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

You could use my walkthrough. I have the first disc and a half written and screenshotted for every item. But honestly, with your first playthrough, JUST ENJOY IT!

Yes once you arrive at lindblum and you leave you're finally free to explore some. Go to the chocobo forest to the right! It's fun and you'll love chocobos a whole heck of a lot in this game cause of that minigame.

Don't run from battles. You'll thank yourself when you're not underleveled.

You get abilities through your weapons. Each battle you get "ap". You learn abilities when you get enough ap for that skill. If you change your equipment before you learn an ability, some abilities wont be available later. So make sure to learn each ability before you change your equipment. This may mean you have to go a few more battles with a lesser sword but at least you'll have the abilities!

There is a skill you can learn that is ap boost! So when you're in battle you get more ap from said battle. Try to get that skill cause it makes everything else easier.

And steal a lot! Most bosses have at least one super awesome thing/gear you can't get for a bit.

And don't forget to check mognet! You don't want to miss a letter! You can find mognet central if you deliver every letter and play the chocobo game. So do both!

Take your time and enjoy the ride!

Also always help stiltzkin out cause, well moogle.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

There are absolutely zero benefits to collecting all the cards or playing Tetra Master religiously, so don't waste too much time on it unless you actually enjoy it. That's the only advice I can give. There is a moment where I think you have to win some games, but I'm pretty sure you should be able to walk it just by getting random cards at the end of battles every now and then.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

- Prioritize stealing every single item from each boss. You'll occasionally be rewarded with weapons a tier above what can be obtained from shops.
    - Chocobo Hot and Cold! Keep that trout up so you don't have to grind it out later on.
    - You can kill Grand Dragons once you hit Disc 2 with Level 5 Death + Lightning absorption armor. Do it for tons of easy gil/exp.
    - Don't sell off excess equipment; synthesize it instead.
    - Carbuncle has different effects depending on which gemstone Eiko has equipped in her accessory slot.
    - If you select "Queen Brahne" 100 times at the beginning, Ruby busts in and calls you a retard.
    - Don't try and kill the book until Disc 2 with a Blood Sword.

And as always, don't just alternate between walkthrough / actual game. Have some fun with it. Until you quit midway through Disc 1 anyway...

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Make the most of the Active Time Events. They add on some rather cute and amusing additional scenes. They're easy to miss/skip, but they're definitely worth the time.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

So the store I purchased this game through sent me a message saying "sorry lol not in stock" which obviously means they sold it to someone who came in the store instead. I've reordered it from another store, but now I have to wait even longer!

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

MY GAME ARRIVED AND I AM SO LEGITIMATELY EXCITED TO PLAY IT but I have to wait for my cheeseburger to get done cooking because I'm starving ;_______________;

I have it up on the tv and the music is taunting me ;_______________;

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    MY GAME ARRIVED AND I AM SO LEGITIMATELY EXCITED TO PLAY IT but I have to wait for my cheeseburger to get done cooking because I'm starving ;_______________;

I have it up on the tv and the music is taunting me ;_______________;
    God, you are such a dingus. I love you. xD

I'm going to give you advice I don't think has been given yet: stick with it. The game starts out incredibly slow, but once you get out of Lindblum for the first time--ka-pow! Sheer awesomeness!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've been so excited to play this for weeks and I AM NOT A DINGUS

thank you :3

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The intro keeps getting stuck right when Zidane slides down a pole and goes to open a door. I've restarted and cleaned and dusted both the console and the game about ten times now and I am so incredibly frustrated at how often I've restarted this thing and everything is ruined forever and I hate this game. I haven't even been able to get to the actual gameplay.

I even bought an excellently good version off Amazon instead of the super cheap troutty options with no cases and manuals and trout like that!

Two game purchases, still no refund from the first one, and now this one doesn't work.

I guess it wasn't in the stars.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

What

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO D:

you best be getting your money back for that trout.

Have you tried just opening the lid, then shutting it again and not removing the disc? or removing the disc, then shutting it, but not turning off the console? sometimes if you leave the console on and do that, it'll work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Are you playing it on a PS2?

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yes.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've read that the newer, slim models of ps2 can have issues with this game. That might be the problem. THe older, bigger models work pretty well. If you have a PS1, maybe try on there.