Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: First time player!

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

How did I miss this thread until now?

It's about damn time you played one of the best FF's missy.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm calling it now, this will end in one of two ways, either Shorty ends up forsaking VIII and declares IX her new favorite, or she'll still prefer VIII to it at the end and Vivi will snap her neck and then scream in agony.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Freya is the BEST.

Also, the great thing about this game is all those character observations you've made, timid Vivi, womanizing Zidane etc etc, the characters grow well in this game. It has a lot of depth with that. Glad you're enjoying it!

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Further obvservations:

Am I... am I missing something with Garnet's summons? I'm onto the second disk and they're all greyed out still. It has been furiously bothering me why I can't use them! It seems absolutely absurd to have them there and appear to be available for use but not. Did I miss something?

This game is obscenely generous with dropped gil, dropped items, items to steal, and hidden items to pick up. I was rolling in cash and loading up on items and equipment and still managed to hit the auction scene with 60g's in the Dark City! (and now I'm down to 9k but that's okay.)

Now I am in the desert sandstorm city and got my ass handed to me by an antlion. I know he has some good items on him and I kept trying to steal them but they wouldn't let up and his bitch ass kept using his sandstorm attack on me, dropping everyone's HP to 1 or some trout I shut the game off in a fit of fury. I suppose I'll need to equip some anti-status abilities before going to fight him again. I've been playing so far without a walkthrough because I want to be surprised, but I think I need to look up help for battling this asshole. Also, I do not like the sand tunnels leading up to that city.

I am really not understanding Quina's Blue Magic abilities and they are causing me disress. Apparently s/he can't use them when the enemy is at full health. So I keep trying to lower the health down a little bit, but Quina still can't seem to eat them! And then I inevitably end up killing the enemies and become furious at my wasted time. Every time I tried to use Eat, it didn't take, so I stopped trying for a long time before I learned what it could actually do, and now I'm afraid I've missed out on some abilities I would not otherwise be able to acquire. I am growing to hate Quina.

When traveling with Garnet, I exited Treno for a little bit and went to the forest that was to the right, just below the mountains. Hoooly trout, those mandragoras were a lifesaver for leveling up. Also, I killed Marcus in cold blood, took away his equipment and left him dead throughout the entire level grinding to award more experience to Garnet and Steiner because smurf you, Marcus! I tried to level up Blank for a while in the beginning and even equipped him with trout and I am fairly certain that equipment was stolen from me when he left my party (to become petrified in the forest, but that's not the point). So I decided to not let that happen again and to just kill Marcus this time around.

On the subject of leveling, I feel very underleveled right now - everyone is between 16-18, and I like to atleast be to 20 by the time I reach the second disk.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

QUINA IS THE WORST. Getting its abilities are horrible, and it's just the most annoying character. I don't understand why people find it funny.

And no, you're not missing anything with Garnet's summons. Spoiler alert: they don't become available until late in the second disc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Not a spoiler! That's okay, I was just beginning to worry.

I get that Quina is supposed to be cute and whimsical but I'm not seeing it.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Quina at all.

And yeah, the summon thing annoyed and stumped me for a long time as well!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Quina is actually incredibly useful, but it's very frustrating to try and teach her abilities before you know which monsters actually do give you abilities.

You have to get the monsters down to < 25% health before Eat takes. Use Scan to get an idea of how much to attack before trying. When Quina's in trance, Eat becomes Cook which raises the bar to < 50% health. Also, if you come across a Trick Sparrow (I think this is the only one you can get to right now), Dragonfly, Zaghnol, Ogre, Land Worm, or Armstrong... eat them! They'll give you Matra Magic, which has a chance of lowering an enemy's HP to 1, guaranteeing a successful Eat if Matra Magic hits.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oooh, thank you! I am near Carrion Worms, Dragonflies and Sand... brutes or something. I think someone just learned Scan, so I will try to put it to use.

I was not aware what Cook even did, so that's very useful! Thank you.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    or she'll still prefer VIII to it at the end and Vivi will snap her neck and then scream in agony.
    Much as I like to get all hands on with my work, I would never snap her neck.

I'm more of a high powered rifle from a kilometer away type of guy. Or perhaps a drone strike if one is available.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

A drone strike is a cowardly move.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well people already answered most of the questions for me.

Antlion has an attack that will reduce everyone to 1 HP. It isn't as serious as it sounds. He will probably just regularly attack one character after and at most kill one. Just heal everyone up and keep going. If I remember correctly, Blizzara is pretty good against it.

Also, I love Quina. S/he is my second favorite character

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    You're just mad you didn't think of it first.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    You're just mad you didn't think of it first.
    People who fight fair tend to be the ones on the losing side.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I understand if you're afraid of losing a quick-draw to a step-headed red child. I wouldn't want to go up against me, either.