Page 1 of 13 123456711 ... LastLast

Thread: First time player!

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default First time player!

I've wanted to play this game for a long time and today I finally ordered it, because why the hell not!

Without giving anything away, what would you say you wished you knew playing this game the first time around?

I wish I had known disc 2 was broken before playing it. That pissed me off so bad getting sucked into a game, and then being forced to stop. I'll kill disc 2 one day.

I can't remember anything else that I wish I would have known, but also that won't ruin anything for you.. It's great game.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Once you leave Lindblum, go explore until you find the Chocobo's Forest. Have fun playing the greatest mini-game of all time.

Pay attention to the weapons you have, and Synthesize Zidane's weapons! Pay attention to all of the abilities you can learn on each character's weapon, so that you don't equip a weapon after you've learned every ability/you don't equip a new weapon before you've learned an ability. You'll figure it out. Also, you manually equip status-deflecting abilities. Go to the abilities screen and choose a character. You'll see what abilities they've learned, and how many points you can use. Each ability has a certain amount of abilities. For example, Bright Eyes protects against blindness. It's best to rearrange what you have equipped depending on the enemies in the area.

I'm really, really excited for you. This is my second favorite game of all time. I can't wait to see you update as you go on!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I will update, yeah! I have a feeling I'll like it very much.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I added a bit more to my post! I know this is also one of Pantz's favorites, so I'm sure he'll be willing to help you out if you need it. I'm sure you won't need it, just explaining some things that confused me the first time!

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Thank you very much! I'm sure those things will be much more useful for me once I actually start playing xD

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah, right now I'm just throwing words at you. When are you getting the game?

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hopefully next week sometime! :3

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Eeeee! I want you to start now! How much do you know about the story? Of course it's best going in with less knowledge so that you can appreciate it more, but I know that the game is old, you've been a member here for awhile...

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Not very much, I don't think. I know Zidane is a thief and Garnet's real name is Sarah, and I know it's set with two nations at war and there's an evil queen and then Kuja is later revealed to be the "real" villain, I think. That's about it.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I wish I knew not to waste my time with this game.

You may wanna know Zidane has a tail, and Kuja wears a thong. That may change your mind about playing it, but not the story itself....well, it may change your mind on Kuja's true motives.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

All you really need to know is that the game is great. That's all you really need to know, haha. The art style really bothered me back when I first played it for some reason, but I love the art style now.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Jinx is spot on. Definitely learn all the abilities you can from the weapons and armor you equip! It'll help you in the long run.

If you want to play the jump rope mini-game in Alexandria, be prepared to have massive amounts of patience if you want to get all the prizes.

Be prepared to play the card game and have no idea what's going on.

Most importantly just remember to have fun. Enjoy the side quests and the colorful NPCs. This is a fantastic game. I loved that moogles were save points and helping deliver letters through mognet.

Look up an explanation of what the numbers mean during the card game online somewhere. The game doesn't tell you at any point, making playing it incredibly frustrating (and the game forces you to play it at one point, so it's pretty important).

Other than that, I'd give you the same advice I'd give for most FF games! Steal as often as you can, and don't let an enemy die before you've stolen its items or at least detected what it has. Learn all the abilities you can. For end-game grinding, make sure all your characters equip the Reflect ability and go fight dragons on an island to the northeast of the world map. Also, make sure to run around in patches of woods that may be hard to reach, you'll often come across a special encounter!
    http://home.eyesonff.com/user/signature/sigpic39432_1.gif