Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Naming characters in games

Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    I usually just use the defaults, although I do rename TERRA to Terra etc. I did have one playthrough of FFVI where I used EoFFers' names for all the characters.
    Ugh, this. I used to nickname every dang Pokémon with their name in proper capitalization. Best change Black and White brought to the series.

That said, I usually use either my own name, or Skyblade (or Lyndis if I'm running a female character, I've really liked the name ever since I saw it in Fire Emblem). MMOs are where I get the most fanciful, as I have several different names I use for different characters and different genders.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

The first time I ever played a breath of fire game, I named the blue haired boy Ryu without any idea that was his actual name... when I eventually went online to find out how to cross that damned desert, I couldn't figure out how the guide had known that my main character was called Ryu >.<

Blog Entries

I usually leave the defaults other than to correct over-capitalisation.

For Chocobos, pet names, any other minor character, I usually go for a cutesy name or name them after my pets/former pets. Or a joke name like 'Anal' for Angelo in FF8. I did try naming Dagger something equally silly in FF9, but found I couldn't stand it and reloaded the game.

If there is no default, I'll usually go with Mo for a male, Momo for a femaie.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I name my main character BoB more often than not. In XI, I went for Loonybob, and in FFXIV I went for Loony Bob. But most games such as FF games, it's BoB.

For a preferred female romance option, I tend to name them Angela, because that's my favourite name for a girl.

For everyone else, it largely depends on what they look like and how much I like them. The first time I played FFVII, I named Aeris 'Ariel'. The most recent time I played FFVII, I named her 'Bumface'. ^_^ Oh, and other common names I have are Tombo (for large/round characters such as Cait Sith or Tonberry GF), Jax (for a chocobo) and Rastus (for animal-like creatures such as Red XIII).

EDIT: And yeah, I definitely rename people like LOCKE to Locke.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

For me it depends on the game. Often I keep the default. If there is no default I'll go with Pike, make up something that sounds good, or (in the case of TES) go full lore-turbonerd.

Names in ALL CAPS don't bug me. Am I the only one?

Yes, you are the only one, PIKE. What do you name your XCOMMIES?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

My XCOMMIES usually have the default names unless I'm making a THREAD about it or something.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    For me it depends on the game. Often I keep the default. If there is no default I'll go with Pike, make up something that sounds good, or (in the case of TES) go full lore-turbonerd.

Names in ALL CAPS don't bug me. Am I the only one?
    They've never really bothered me that much. I suspect it was done to make it more apparent that you're reading a name before the dialogue kicks in so if that was their aim mission accomplished. I could understand not liking it though. I'm actually surprised I don't given how many things I'm a bit OCD about and which make my skin crawl.

Blog Entries

For guilds and such it usually has something to do with the game. The guild I created in Guild Wars 2 is called Fort Aspenwood Has a Giant [HAMR] it's made up of various members from other guilds on the server who wanted to team up together and bash people in World vs World with Hammers.WE have around 100 members now and run every Sunday night for a couple hours

If there are default names I leave them as is for m first run through, if not I usually use Tasura, or Tas if the character limit is less than 6. And even in 2nd+ play through I'll usually only rename the lead, I also generally never rename FF characters, unless I'm doing an EoFF themed run like I did with FF1 and started to do with FF2. MMOs on the other hand, since I can never just have 1 character (especially if it's a game that has multiple races/classes) I have a standard set of names I use, more male than female, and if they're already taken/used I kinda just kinda randomly pick letters.

For guilds or what not in a single player game I usually go for some derivative of Shangri-La, for MMOs or games with an online portion I tend to go for something at least partially game related.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I never rename anyone in FF, but in rpgs where you control a character I usually play as one of three names if I can only put in one name: Sarah, Holly, or Gwen
    Saya Brea if I can put in two.
    I rarely play male characters

I give all my pokemon nicknames, but I have a standard party:
    Sophia the Gardevoir
    Lilli the Lapras
    Rarity the Ponyta ( I has a shiny)
    Luna the Dragonair
    and Bianca the Lopunny
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

:monster:

Oh, yeah, I do sometimes rename Link in Zelda games. Frequently used names are Hodor, Desu, EFG and similar.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Dancing Chocobo

Quote Originally Posted by Hypoallergenic Chie View Post
    Not Twilight Sparkle?

I get mixed when naming guys, some are silly and some are in-universe. I like ruining skyrim lore by naming the dragonborn "Nerevarine." When I started playing Shining Force I named my character "You Cock" so that everyone was insulting the hero angrily. At times I default to Clash or The Clash as a name due to my love of the band.

never, ever look at my pokemon names. I still get yelled at for Windsock the Gyarados.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypoallergenic Chie View Post
    Not Twilight Sparkle?

I can't see that picture.

No, Twilight would be a good name for a non-shiny rapidash.

Also, I've actually caught 2 shiny ponyta's, and I will never evolve either because shiny rapidash is ugly.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen